Kiwaya ECO Series discontinued

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
Kiwaya ECO Series discontinued. :( Anyone know why?

Any other companies offer a quality "ultra-thin" laminate Soprano with a Concert scale neck?

Dang, that sucks. I wonder if it has anything to do with the tsunami?

I'm glad I got my longneck soprano before this happened because I don't think they even make a longneck in their solids.

John

That's a shame, but I wonder how popular the Eco-series was? The prices seemed relatively high for a laminate (albeit a nice laminate). I wonder if they just didn't sell that well. I have to admit, if I were to spend that money on a uke, I'd want a solid.

You might be right. I bought one thinking that I'd have a "beater" uke that would be worth playing. I ended up playing it to the exclusion of everything else (including a concert KoAloha) until I got my KoAloha longneck. I was really surprised that the difference between the KoAloha and the Kiwaya was a lot less than I expected. The Kiwaya isn't quite equal to the KoAloha, but I'd say the Kiwaya was louder and "sweeter" than most of the Kala, etc., solid ukes that I've played. In fact, offered the choice between the Kiwaya and anything short of a Hawaiian uke, I think I'd take the Kiwaya without hesitation.

Of course, sales is based on perception and the common perception is that laminated ukes are (or should be) "cheap." That's ironic, considering that the Kiwaya ukes, in spite of being laminated, are probably better made than any of the solid ukes in the same price bucket.

John

Last edited:
Any other companies offer a quality "ultra-thin" laminate Soprano with a Concert scale neck?

I just happen to know of a company that will have one if you can wait until around the end of the year.

NatalieS
TI wonder if they just didn't sell that well. I have to admit, if I were to spend that money on a uke, I'd want a solid.

Most ukulele buyers are with you on this. A luthier grade laminate should be MORE than a solid (and is well worth it), but as John said:

OldePhart
Of course, sales is based on perception and the common perception is that laminated ukes are (or should be) "cheap."

Bernunzios has a nice one. I almost bought it two days ago... I couldn't pull the trigger. I ended up getting two nice Cordobas, as i couldn't afford to get the Kiwaya and a second Uke. The Kiwaya was beautiful, but not light years better than my Anuenue, and i didn't like the black strings. Played very nicely, and capable of very loud sound! I'm looking forward to some sets of southcoast strings that are inbound now. I think they will make me happy with the Cordoba concert, and my Daughter gets the Anuenue, and one of my sons gets the Cordoba soprano.

I can vouch for the Bamboo Paulele at bernunzios also. very nice sound, and loud, with the Nylguts on it. At 189 I almost bought it, but again, the Anuenue I already have is as good, or better to me.

I'll be patient for now. Someday, if I get good enough, I'll get a really nice long neck soprano again, but my Daughter will benefit from the Anuenue's size and slim neck, and the Cordoba concert will do for me.

Still, kinda wish i could get that Kiwaya...

I will be content with such things as I have!

( and practice more too!)

take care,

Tom

I bought a kiwaya ks-1 and sent it back.

It was advertised as having a rosewood fingerboard, but when I received it I noticed it had a stained the fretboard, which was made of a lighter wood. I wasn't willing to pay 170 quid for a uke with a stained fretboard, especially as it was advertised as rosewood.

It makes me think that they might have had some quality control issues.

I bought a kiwaya ks-1 and sent it back.

It was advertised as having a rosewood fingerboard, but when I received it I noticed it had a stained the fretboard, which was made of a lighter wood. I wasn't willing to pay 170 quid for a uke with a stained fretboard, especially as it was advertised as rosewood.

It makes me think that they might have had some quality control issues.

Well, in their defense it may still have been rosewood - just not very good rosewood. It's getting very hard to find nice dark, tight-grained rosewood. For a fretboard tight straight grain tops darkness so a lot of mfrs are selecting "light but tight" rosewood and staining it. You'd be surprised how many instrument makers, including some pretty high-end guitar makers, are staining fretboards these days to darken the rosewood. There are probably more companies staining them than not staining them, I suspect.

Of course, there is staining and staining, and if the stain they used came off very easily leaving lighter wood that's not good. Myself, I've found that most stains being used are pretty good - they'll tend to darken a cotton ball or cloth a little when you're treating the fretboard but otherwise are pretty stable. I did have one guitar that would actually leave a little stain on my fingertips after playing it for a couple of hours - I wasn't very happy with that one but it was cheap.

John

John

The KS-1 fingerboard is laminated as well. The materials don´t seem to be the most expensive, but it sounds so sweet and feels so good. The body is a little bit longer and higher than a standard soprano but still fits into a normal soprano case (Gato e. g.).

Top Bottom