Have you ever had a ukulele crack?

Have you ever had a ukulele crack under normal conditions?

• Yes

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Noobie

Reaction score
I see everyone talking about their concern that a ukulele might crack in dry conditions, but I'm curious: Have you ever had a ukulele crack while stored in typical conditions?

Have you ever had a ukulele crack?
Oddly funny that this thread should appear immediately following the one about "if ukuleles were pants..."

I haven't had a ukulele crack, but I have a mandolin whose bowl is made out of an armadillo shell, and the wooden front cracked.

Good Grief! I hope that doesn't happen!! I live in Idaho... it is very dry here... so I keep my guitars humidified and in their cases when I don't play them. My husband has a 70s tatomas (some weird Japanese brand) that he has had out without a case for years. The binding shrank and became loose (taped that back on) then last summer he was on the back porch playing it... and *Tink!* "What was that?!" The plastic nut broke in two.

A friend of mine bought a beautiful new acoustic guitar that he kept in it's case without a humidifier. He normally plays electric so about 8 months later when he decided that he was going to learn an acoustic song to impress a girl... he was horrified to find his NEW guitar had a large crack on the face.

I've never had a uke crack, but I'm pretty careful about keeping everything at approximately 50% humidity year round.

Oddly funny that this thread should appear immediately following the one about "if ukuleles were pants..."

I had a pair of pants crack scrambling around that creek at UWC. When I heard it I was glad to discover it was only my pants...I first thought it was my back... LOL

I picked up an OXK so hoping to never have issues or worry about putting it in a case or humidfying

No crack, but I have had a seam separation on the top of an ukulele. I'm currently trying to humidify it with two humidifiers in a case right now. It appears to be working, slowly but surely but since the change is incremental it is too hard to tell at the moment. I'm trying to fix it before a crack develops.

No crack, but I have had a seam separation on the top of an ukulele. I'm currently trying to humidify it with two humidifiers in a case right now. It appears to be working, slowly but surely but since the change is incremental it is too hard to tell at the moment. I'm trying to fix it before a crack develops.

my pono never had a seperation or crack, but when it dries out, the frets stick out and the uke buzzes like nobodies business... It took a solid month and half of non-stop heavy intensive-care humidification to get it to resolve. Thankfully, though, no cracks.

yep. after looking hard, i could tell that the bookmatched top was cut from a section with a knot. Apparently that knot area had a questionable structure thing that resulted in a crack. I repaired the crack, refinished, and it's golden.

I had a Pono concert a couple years ago that I sold to a guy in CA. Unfortunately, it arrived there with a crack in the back! I'll never know if it happened on the plane transport or if it was there as a hairline crack I never saw before mailing. Quite an embarassment!:uhoh:
I hasten to add that my wife just bought a lovely Pono soprano from Uke Republic, so we are still in the Pono family!

Top Bottom