PDA

View Full Version : Does this Ukulele look okay?

misscadbury6
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
I want to learn an instrument over the summer. I just want something quite easy and fun, and not too expensive to buy. I know that there are going to be much better Ukuleles (and much better Ukulele players!) but I just want it for a bit of fun really.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korala-Pale-Blue-Soprano-Beginner-Ukulele-Ukelele-Uke-/260806932623?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item3cb94df88f#ht_1536wt_1050

Does that look okay?
Thanks

ItsAMeCasey
06-23-2011, 10:39 AM
In all honesty it looks like a piece of junk :/ I think that's the type of instrument that's gonna discourage you to play because of the sound quality.. for like 15$ more you could buy a Makala Dolphin. It's a real good starter uke. Slap some Aquila strings on it and you should be set for learning! :D

IvySyl
06-23-2011, 10:53 AM
Seems cheap enough but I guarantee you that it is far better to hear it before you buy. I'd rather see you pay 50 pounds for a more student quality one at a local shop than get something like this online.

felip
06-23-2011, 10:58 AM
I've you want something really cheap and made of plastic I'll go for a Makala Dolphin, they seem to be well made.

mm stan
06-23-2011, 11:32 AM
Aloha Miss Cadbury,
Welcome to the UU and our forums.. have fun and enjoy...it looks like a nice sweet first uke...did you check out out marketplace yet...here's a few..
Rogue soprano.. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/folk-traditional-instruments/rogue-hawaiian-soprano-ukulele
Lanikai Lu21... http://www.musiciansfriend.com/search/search.jsp?question=Lanikai+LU21+ukulele
Makala Dolphin... http://www.amazon.com/Makala-Dolphin-Bridge-Soprano-Ukulele/dp/B0037CMZ6A http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JNX7NRLxenw
Whatever you choose, it will be fun...Good Luck...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

hapuna
06-23-2011, 12:04 PM
Kala makes a lot of nice entry level ukes that sound great and will last you. Never heard of this one and hearing it is really what counts.

misscadbury6
06-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with a Makala Dolphin one I think.
Although I did see this :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marlin-ML-Yellow-Uke-free-UK-delivery-June-/110690098893?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item19c5a4decd#ht_1302wt_786

Does this look any better?

ItsAMeCasey
06-23-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks everyone! I'm going to go with a Makala Dolphin one I think.
Although I did see this :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Marlin-ML-Yellow-Uke-free-UK-delivery-June-/110690098893?pt=UK_MusicalInstr_Access_RL&hash=item19c5a4decd#ht_1302wt_786

Does this look any better?

I think a Makala Dolphin would be much better than that uke. I've never heard of a that brand before, but Makala Dolphins have a pretty good reputation in the uke world. Ultimately the brand doesn't really matter as long as the instrument sounds good, but I think a Makala Dolphin is one of the best ukes for the price (only around 10 bucks more than that Marlin uke!) But whatever instrument you choose, i'm sure you'll have a great time strumming away!

misscadbury6
06-23-2011, 12:53 PM
I think a Makala Dolphin would be much better than that uke. I've never heard of a that brand before, but Makala Dolphins have a pretty good reputation in the uke world. Ultimately the brand doesn't really matter as long as the instrument sounds good, but I think a Makala Dolphin is one of the best ukes for the price (only around 10 bucks more than that Marlin uke!) But whatever instrument you choose, i'm sure you'll have a great time strumming away!

Okay I think I'll go for the Makala Dolphin then, thanks!!
Once I'm the proud owner of my new uke I'll be back here to learn how to play it :)!

mds725
06-23-2011, 01:01 PM
Okay I think I'll go for the Makala Dolphin then, thanks!!
Once I'm the proud owner of my new uke I'll be back here to learn how to play it :)!

Be sure to post photos of your new ukulele when you get it. We love to look at other people's new ukuleles. Good luck with your uke shopping!

Mim
06-23-2011, 01:06 PM
Both of those you have posted are junk. I hate to put it that bluntly, but they really are. They are the same ukes... just rebranded. I have seen a million of them with just different brands on the headstock. Bad tuners, bad strings, bad intonation, bad sound! But I think everyone else has done a great job at pointing you in the right path. I would recommend that whatever uke you get make sure it comes with Aquilas on it rather than GHS (Aquilas are a creamy white and GHS is black). Will make a world of difference!

GOOD LUCK and cant wait to find out what you end up with!

Teek
06-23-2011, 01:47 PM
I would look on Amazon for a Kala pineapple. I have one and the action is really nice (after I shaved down the saddle which slides right out) and it sounds great. It is very playable and I consider it a keeper. It's a good step up from the Dolphin, great fretboard and tuners, but not a lot more in price.

Pondoro
06-23-2011, 01:57 PM
I've never owned a Dolphin but they are very popular around here for people who want the cheapest possible uke that will still play. If you get a Dolphin and decide to fix any aspect of it you will find dozens of people here who have fiddled with them and got them sounding better. Be prepared though, you will want a more expensive uke someday, because they do sound better as the price increases. Probably 10% of the discussions here are about "How much better is the next (more expensive) uke gonna sound?"

Jake DPR
06-23-2011, 03:43 PM
I would like to recommend the kala-15s. I started on it and still play it every day, even though I own a much nicer concert

Foinnse
06-24-2011, 01:56 AM
One of my friends picked up one of these Korala ukes and they are absolute junk!! Go for the Dolphin as suggested or go for any of the other entry level ukes of well known brands, i.e Kala (Makala), Lanikai or even Stagg. I got this http://www.expressmusicstore.co.uk/products.asp?code=71369 as my first uke and I love it still. I put some Aquila strings on it and it has great sound. You should be able to get it a little cheaper than what is advertised too.

Whatver you do don't go near that Korala, it will just put you off playing the Uke and its a wonderful little instrument. Whatever you get post when you receive it!! Theres tonnes of advice available from the experienced players on the forum and its a great resource. Get stuck in and enjoy!

Cheers -F

mr moonlight
06-24-2011, 02:26 AM
I would like to recommend the kala-15s. I started on it and still play it every day, even though I own a much nicer concert

I also have a Kala 15s. It sounds pretty decent and got it for around $40 + shipping. I changed the tuners though because they were crap and it didn't stay in tune very well. I haven't played a Dolphin, but I'm sure it will be a fine starter uke with all the praise it gets.

misscadbury6
06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
I'm going to buy a dolphin in yellow. I looked around on the internet and it seems that the cheapest/easiest dolphin I could buy that would arrive quickly was a yellow one, so yellow it is! I hope I don't start attracting lots of bugs D:

I'll post a picture when I get it!

webby
06-24-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm going to buy a dolphin in yellow. I looked around on the internet and it seems that the cheapest/easiest dolphin I could buy that would arrive quickly was a yellow one, so yellow it is! I hope I don't start attracting lots of bugs D:

I'll post a picture when I get it!

I don't think i could own a yellow one without just having to paint a smiley face on it :)

misscadbury6
06-24-2011, 04:37 AM
I don't think i could own a yellow one without just having to paint a smiley face on it :)

Haha, I'll consider it! :P

Coconut Willie
06-24-2011, 06:14 AM
Aloha misscadbury6! Getting that Makala Dolphine is a very smart move!! And as Mim stated make sure you have aquila strings on it, they are a creamish colored string. If the strings are black (probably GHS strings) those are garbage. A Makala uke with aquila strings will really sing!!! I have a plain Makala Concert with aquila strings and it is very good, especially for the price.

misscadbury6
06-24-2011, 12:28 PM
Aloha misscadbury6! Getting that Makala Dolphine is a very smart move!! And as Mim stated make sure you have aquila strings on it, they are a creamish colored string. If the strings are black (probably GHS strings) those are garbage. A Makala uke with aquila strings will really sing!!! I have a plain Makala Concert with aquila strings and it is very good, especially for the price.

I think the ones it comes with are GHS strings. I'm going to look at buying some Aquila ones, but will the GHS ones do me for a short while whilst I'm waiting for the others? Also, is it easy to tune a Ukulele and to fit different strings on? I've never played a guitar or anything like that!

misscadbury6
06-26-2011, 11:39 PM
Anyone? D:

mketom
06-27-2011, 01:57 AM
While your new Dolphin may sound better with Aquila strings, you can certainly start learning with the GHS strings.
As you progress you can swap strings until you find a better sound. Hawaii Music Supply and others have online videos on how to change strings and tuning. Personally I find Martin or Worth strings to have a great sound on a soprano ukulele...

mthurman52
06-27-2011, 06:02 AM
Save up a bit more and get a Lanikai LU-21. Those are great little cheap ukes. You could probly find one used for under $50...believe me...the extra $$$ will be well worth it! I started on a Makala and put strings on it and still play it! I picked my Makala up for $30 new on ebay!

WhenDogsSing
06-27-2011, 07:33 AM
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Korala-Pale-Blue-Soprano-Beginner-Ukulele-Ukelele-Uke-/260806932623?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instr uments&hash=item3cb94df88f#ht_1536wt_1050

I like it how the seller states that the ukuleles are shipped to him tuned...?!?!?!

WhenDogsSing
06-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Anyone? D:

Tuning a ukulele is very easy if you have a clip-on or other type of electronic tuner. I recommend you invest in a simple clip-on type of electronic tuner for your ukulele. There are many different brands out there. You can buy them at a guitar shop or online through Mim's Ukuleles, Uke Republic, Flea Market Music, or Mainland Ukuleles to list a few dealers.

Changing strings is not difficult but can be a daunting first-time task if you have never done that before. I recommend you search YouTube for some how-to videos on how to re-string a ukulele. One important thing to understand is that nylon strings, when new, will stretch and stretch and stretch and, well, you get the point. Eventually, they will settle in and quit stretching quite so much. You might think your ukulele is defective at first if you aren't aware of this fact.

Hope this helps you out a little and have fun with your new ukulele...!!!

dawhealer
06-27-2011, 09:50 AM
I like it how the seller states that the ukuleles are shipped to him tuned...?!?!?!

The fact that ANY seller would make that statement as an apparent selling point should make someone suspicious of just how knowledgable that person is regarding stringed instruments. For newbies to ANY stringed, fretted instruments, repeat after me: NO fretted, stringed instrument stays in tune for very long.

They are subject to changes in temperature and humidity as well as how they're played. Some stay in tune longer than others but you're probably going to have to retune every time you pick up your instrument to play. It's not a big deal, especially with electronic tuners. I use a Planet Waves headstock tuner. It's tiny, packs easily, had a great readout and works on all my instruments, guitars, banjo, mandos, and ukes. I've had several electronic tuners and it's the best I've found so far.

Misscadbury6, good luck with your uke and be aware of UAS. I've only been playing a few months and I already have it bad.

dawhealer
06-27-2011, 09:59 AM
One important thing to understand is that nylon strings, when new, will stretch and stretch and stretch and, well, you get the point. Eventually, they will settle in and quit stretching quite so much. You might think your ukulele is defective at first if you aren't aware of this fact.

Good point for newbies. I used to play classical guitar at some local restaurants and one of my big fears was having a string break during my set because I KNEW that from that point on it would be an exercise in futility to try to stay in tune. After it actually happened a couple of times due to a QC oversight with the brand string I was using, I started taking a backup guitar with me. My go-to classical is an $8,500 Kohno/Sakurai which sounds great when the strings are stretched out and set in, but sounds like a $35 nylon string Walmart guitar until the strings get there. Well, ok, maybe not a Walmart guitar, but it's hard to believe it's a high-end concert classical when I first put strings on it.