PDA

View Full Version : Reston Uke Fest, 7/9/11 and more Del Rey Workshops,7/10/11

luke'nlele
06-23-2011, 12:08 PM
The 2nd Annual Lake Anne Ukulele Festival will take place on Saturday, July 9, 2011 from 11:00AM-5:30PM at Lake Anne Plaza, 1609 Washington Plaza, Reston, VA 20190 (at North Shore Dr. & Village Rd.). The free music festival will feature performances by several internationally known and local ukulele musicians, music demonstrations, open to the public jam session, beer/wine garden, festival vendors, and other family friendly activities. The event will kick off during the ever popular Saturday Farmers & Arts/Craft Market. Headlining the festival on Saturday will be acoustic blues queen Del Ray. Del will also offer fingerstyle blues workshops for ukulele and guitar on Sunday (see below).

Del Rey plays concerts worldwide and also conducts concert/lectures on women musicians called Women in American Music. She has contributed to projects in honor of The Mississippi Sheiks, Sister Rosetta Tharpe and Johnny Cash. Del Rey has recorded five solo albums, Blue Uke (2008), When The Levee Breaks (2006), X-Rey Guitar (2000), Hot Sauce (1995) and Boogie Mysterioso (1993). The festival will also include special guests and Grammy award winning artists Cathy Fink & Marcy Marxer and other performers such as Hoa Mele Wakinekona (Hawaiian), Bruce Hutton (old-time, folk), Marcy’s Potted Plants, The Aloha Boys (Hawaiian), and local duo The Sweater Set.

Performance Schedule:

11:00AM Hoa Mele Wakinekona

11:30AM The Sweater Set

12:15PM Bruce Hutton

1:00PM Marcy’s Potted Plants

1:30PM Aloha Boys

2:15PM Fink & Marxer

3:30PM Del Rey

4:30PM Open Jam Session (public participation welcomed)

Admission is free. Festival takes place Rain or Shine. www.lakeanneplaza.com

Ukulele and Guitar Workshops

with

Del Rey

“Seattle-based queen of fingerstyle blues”

Sunday July 10, 2011

Lake Anne Plaza

North Shore Drive and Village Road, Reston Virginia 20190

Introduction To Fingerpicking the Ukulele, 1:00-2:15 pm
For you strummers, here's a song that will get you started using your right hand in a different way. Papa Charlie Jackson's "Mama Don't You Think I Know," a funny old tune in C with an easy-to-hear fingerpicking pattern, will get you started picking out ragtime and blues tunes on the uke. Students should be able to play C, C7, F, F7 and G7 without hesitation.

Blue Uke, 2:30-3:45 pm
Intermediate (be comfortable with first position chords and be able to keep time)
Blues, rags and old songs for the ukulele, with a focus on fingerpicking the melody. Tunes like the Mississippi River Waltz, Tappin’ That Thing (Memphis Jug Band) and Tired Chicken (Gus Cannon)...by ear, no TAB.

Moving Bass lines for Fingerstyle Guitar, 4:00-5:15 pm
Intermediate-Advanced
Want to play like a pianist? Walking and boogie-woogie bass lines for fingerstyle guitar. Learn the positions where you can find both chords and moving bass. Standard tuning. Recorders ok.

Workshops are $25 each.

For information, or to register, contact Ann Granger at 703-470-3038 or AnnThePotter@gmail.com.

Space is limited so sign up early. You will be given the exact location when you register.

luke'nlele
06-25-2011, 12:00 PM
We're always hoping to meet more UU members. Is anyone else planning on going to the Lake Anne Uke Festivel
7/9/11?

ckellogg
06-26-2011, 06:16 AM
We're always hoping to meet more UU members. Is anyone else planning on going to the Lake Anne Uke Festivel
7/9/11?

I'll be working the Beer booth 3-4:30, or whenever I have to cut out to join my fellow NVUErs on stage. We could do a UU group song during the Open Jam? I'm a newbie so I don't know how this all works. In fact this will be my first performance, I will hide in the back with my green Kala Kiwi.

luke'nlele
06-26-2011, 04:03 PM
I'll be working the Beer booth 3-4:30, or whenever I have to cut out to join my fellow NVUErs on stage. We could do a UU group song during the Open Jam? I'm a newbie so I don't know how this all works. In fact this will be my first performance, I will hide in the back with my green Kala Kiwi.

This is too funny. We just got home from a NVUE jam/open mic. We were there earlier for Victoria Vox's songwriting workshop too. We spotted a Kala Kiwi at the end of the main table. Was that you? We'll be joining the rest of the NVUE group on stage as well, but we'll look for you at the beer booth :)

ckellogg
06-26-2011, 06:08 PM
This is too funny. We just got home from a NVUE jam/open mic. We were there earlier for Victoria Vox's songwriting workshop too. We spotted a Kala Kiwi at the end of the main table. Was that you? We'll be joining the rest of the NVUE group on stage as well, but we'll look for you at the beer booth :)

Oh yeah, that was me. Unless there was another Kala Kiwi at that table, the more the merrier. Beer booth here I come!

telebob
06-28-2011, 02:22 PM
hey y'all - I'll be participating at the Reston Uke fest on Saturday, July 9. I'm signed up for the beer booth from 11am to 1pm, and guardian of the instuments from 1pm to 3pm. I plan to enjoy the music... and join the jam.

My friend Tony Litz from Litz Music (Gaithersburg, MD) will be one of the vendors selling ukes and uke accessories. Lots of Kala ukes, cases, tuners, straps, etc. and all at special festival prices.

See ya there...

luke'nlele
06-28-2011, 04:05 PM
[QUOTE=telebob;714124]hey y'all - I'll be participating at the Reston Uke fest on Saturday, July 9. I'm signed up for the beer booth from 11am to 1pm, and guardian of the instuments from 1pm to 3pm. I plan to enjoy the music... and join the jam.

Hey, Bob, This is great! Not only a fellow UU member, but a fellow Marylander as well! We'll head to the beer booth to find you first thing as soon as we get there.

ELLA
07-04-2011, 07:31 AM
Please visit my page for Program schedule, pictures, bios and videos of performers scheduled for the 2nd Annual Ukulele Festival at Lake Anne Plaza in Reston:
http://restonlakeanne.com/2nd-annual-ukulele-festival/

luke'nlele
07-05-2011, 06:02 AM
Please visit my page for Program schedule, pictures, bios and videos of performers scheduled for the 2nd Annual Ukulele Festival at Lake Anne Plaza in Reston:

Hey there, ELLA (aka Reston Dad), nice page, great info on the festival! Are you also a member of NVUE?

ckellogg
07-05-2011, 11:50 AM
[QUOTE=telebob;714124][FONT=Comic Sans MS]........... We'll head to the beer booth to find you first thing as soon as we get there.

Sounds like you'll be making multiple trips to the beer booth - glad us NVUErs could help!

ELLA
07-06-2011, 07:23 AM
Hey there, ELLA (aka Reston Dad), nice page, great info on the festival! Are you also a member of NVUE?

No, I'm not a member of NVUE. Last year's Ukulele Festival at Lake Anne was my introduction to serious - and incredibly enjoyable - Ukulele music.
I live within walking distance of Lake Anne, in Reston and love to promote my little piece of heaven.

Hope you enjoy the festival - and tell others to visit my page. If you perform, youtube it & send me a link, I'll include it in a follow-up page

luke'nlele
07-06-2011, 09:26 AM
No, I'm not a member of NVUE. Last year's Ukulele Festival at Lake Anne was my introduction to serious - and incredibly enjoyable - Ukulele music.
I live within walking distance of Lake Anne, in Reston and love to promote my little piece of heaven.

Hope you enjoy the festival - and tell others to visit my page. If you perform, youtube it & send me a link, I'll include it in a follow-up page

That's cool! We really like Lake Anne, too. We drive two hours to get there for NVUE events/meetups. Besides the Uke Fest, there are ukulele workshops, jams, open mics and a beginners group at Cafe Monmartre. They are a really nice, fun-loving and supportive group of people who always welcome new members. Thank you for the offer to include our YT videos of the festival in your follow-up page.

ELLA
07-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I've added a few slideshows of pictures of the day. I had great fun! Videos should be edited & added in a couple of days . http://restonlakeanne.com/2011/07/09/links-to-photos-of-2nd-annual-ukulele-festival/ Thanks to all who came!

imorroy
07-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Awesome event. It was my first, but I assure you I will be back next year. I was able to buy the Marcy Marxer special edition Kala tenor ukulele. I am one happy camper!

ELLA
07-13-2011, 12:56 PM
Thanks to all who came - especially the Ukulele Vendors who made people like imorroy and Bob Simon smile.. I've added a video of some of the sights and sounds.
http://restonlakeanne.com/2011/07/13/ukulele-festival-video/