Dean Markley soundboard transducer - not as bad as I expected!

OldePhart

Reaction score
I stopped at Guitar Center in Nashville TN on the way to UWC and picked up an inexpensive Dean Markley soundboard transducer acoustic guitar pickup in case I wanted to run my KoAloha through my effects board.

I ended up not using the effects or the transducer, and had almost forgotten I'd purchased it. So, I tried it out today. It's the inexpensive "Artist Transducer" model and is intended for temporary use - attaches with sticky tack and has a long chord and plug instead of a jack. I think it cost me about twenty bucks.

Placement is supposedly pretty critical on these things - at least on a guitar where moving them around can drastically change the response. I just stuck it right behind the bridge between the C and E strings. I was pleasantly surprised - the sound was pretty natural - I think maybe more natural than most USTs I've used. There was a little more noise than from most USTs, but not terrible.

The sound was pretty open, I didn't feel like fooling with moving it around to optimize the response but I might on a day when I have more time.

As near as I can tell the biggest drawbacks were more related to the temporary nature of the device than to the sound. That long chord is a real nuisance when you aren't using the pickup so you pretty much have to remove the pickup after every use. The sticky tack was pretty aggressive - it held better than I expected. It also tried to leave a residue behind. The residue wouldn't rub off with a finger but did come off after rubbing with a bit of Renaissance wax.

I think there might be a permanent, inside mount, soundboard transducer in my future. I liked the sound of this than I do USTs, and this was about the cheapest soundboard transducer out there.

John

I agree. I bought one for my wife's bari uke and i think it sounds great. I found that placing it just under the treble side (if you will) of the bridge gave the best sound for her uke. The only drawback is the temporary nature of it. Tends to fall off if you are not carefull. And yes IMO it sounds better than UST's that I've heard. IMO more natural and woody sounding.

btw I've heard that something call K&K mini tranducers (I think) get a good sound also. from what I've seen they stick on the inside part of the soundboard and use double stick tape.

btw I've heard that something call K&K mini tranducers (I think) get a good sound also. from what I've seen they stick on the inside part of the soundboard and use double stick tape.

Yeah, I'm considering giving the K&K twin spot a shot. I think I may put one in my Kiwaya longneck, and if that goes well, get brave and put one in the KoAloha.

John

Top Bottom