PDA

View Full Version : My 3 favorite tenor MP vs Kanilea vs Luis Feu de Mesquita

fumanshu
06-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi guys! Ok, since I start to have too much tenor ukes and I just don't know how do they compare to each other, I decide to make a little clip today just to see which one sound like what etc...

So, you will hear in the order, my custom MP (Mike Pereira), the Kanilea super tenor and finally my new baby Luis Feu de Mesquita custom.

So for each, I did some fingerpicking, chord melody and finally strumming.

And honesty, I like them all...they just sound different. But overall, I would say that the Luis Feu de Mesquita has a much fuller tone that is more consistant all over the fretboard. It's a little bit less bright also because the top is made of cedar tonewood.

I think the difference is that the sound doesn't distort when you pick or strum let's say harder...It will be louder but will maintain the same tone compare to the 2 others that will kind of distort as the volume get louder....

Anyway....hope you enjoy!

Thanks and watching and you can leave your observation etc...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRXteyWFOo8

KimosTherapy
06-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Aloha Bruddah Bao!

Mahalo for making a comparison video for your 3 Tenor Ukes. They are all sweet ukes with their own individual voices. Just goes to show you that you just can't settle for having one ukulele. I know what the MP Uke and the Kanilea Super Tenor goes for price wise, how much did the Luis Feu de Mesquita set you back? I'm shopping around for my next tenor uke.

Lexxy
06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Nice comparison! I wish i could play like you!

fumanshu
06-23-2011, 04:14 PM
Aloha Bruddah Bao!

Mahalo for making a comparison video for your 3 Tenor Ukes. They are all sweet ukes with their own individual voices. Just goes to show you that you just can't settle for having one ukulele. I know what the MP Uke and the Kanilea Super Tenor goes for price wise, how much did the Luis Feu de Mesquita set you back? I'm shopping around for my next tenor uke.

Hey hi! You're right, they just have their own personnality and I'm always amazed when I take them out and play with to realize that they are all good at the end and sometimes, I think I have too much ukes and want to thin down...but after playing with them....I always want to keep them all!!! hahahah!!!

As for price, Luis uke are around the same price as a nice Kanilea tenor custom....Difference is in the way Luis is working and designing his uke... He use lattice bracing and he modified it to make it adapted for the uke in the way to make the soundboard vibrate as much as possible.....

His uke is a real masterpiece in term of design...if you have a conversation with him he will all explain in details how he design each parts of hi uke!!!!

After looking at all your nice uke collection...I think you should consider to get one of his uke...you will sure not be disapointed!

France
06-23-2011, 04:19 PM
I love the clear bright sounds of the MP mmmm and the warmth of the Kanilea oh and the sweet Luis Feu de Mesquita is pretty good too. If I had to choose I may choose the MP.

ItsAMeCasey
06-23-2011, 04:26 PM
The Luis Feu de Mesquita is sure a beautiful instrument. Imo it outclasses the Kanile'a and MP, but they're all awesome ukes. Congratz on a great collection!

fumanshu
06-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I love the clear bright sounds of the MP mmmm and the warmth of the Kanilea oh and the sweet Luis Feu de Mesquita is pretty good too. If I had to choose I may choose the MP.

Hahhaah!!! Yeah, I think the brightness of the MP is nice, the only thing that I observe is that the end of each notes seems to distort a little bit...and it kind make some ''click''...maybe it's my weak technique too!!!! hahahah!!!!

The MP is the uke that I played the most these past years....so the sound is now very open and mature compare to what it was a few years ago.

mm stan
06-23-2011, 04:28 PM
Aloha Bruddah Bao,
I have a madagascar rosewood back and side and spruce top MP...I slapped some Low g Koolau Alohi on and now it sings...dropped the tuning and everytime I play it I get a free ultrasound on my
stomach from the resonation and vibrations...MM Stan
I had the same sound as you with worth browns on my concert...and when I changed the strings it became warmer...the thicker regular strings balances out
the wound string... I love my MP and for One third the price if my other custom ukes,
it wipes them out......

fumanshu
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Aloha Bruddah Bao,
I have a madagascar rosewood back and side and spruce top MP...I slapped some Low g Koolau Alohi on and now it sings...dropped the tuning and everytime I play it I get a free ultrasound on my
stomach from the resonation and vibrations...MM Stan

Hi Stan!....so you're one of the owner of the Madagascar Rosewood!!!! I have one too and for sure it's one of my favorite also and it's true that man...mine resonate like hell too...specially if you play it low G like you said!!! I think it's one of the best combo that Mike did....along with the spruce top-koa back-sides....

Keep that uke Stan...it's a really nice piece!

But hey, you all know I have a hell collection of MP ukes!!!! hahahaah!!!!!

hapuna
06-23-2011, 04:52 PM
I liked the Kanile'a and the Luis Feu de Mesquita the best though they both are distinctive. I think the flamenco guitars have the cedar tops so the type of playing you were doing seemed more toward the Luis. Great stuff and great playing

fumanshu
06-23-2011, 05:08 PM
I liked the Kanile'a and the Luis Feu de Mesquita the best though they both are distinctive. I think the flamenco guitars have the cedar tops so the type of playing you were doing seemed more toward the Luis. Great stuff and great playing

Hi hapuna! Thanks, well cedar top is not that often used in flamenco, you will see them more in classical guitar and acoustic guitar...but what I observe and believe is that cedar is a tonewood that react quite fast to picking and you don't have to go hard to get some volume and make it ''sing'' I believe it's a more ''singing'' and ''sweeter'' tonewood compare to spruce top. I think you can hear it in the clip too.

Thanks

TCK
06-23-2011, 08:19 PM
They are all amazing, and you sir are a great player (burning all my ukes as we speak), but for me the Luis Feu de Mesquita wins it. It has the clarity and brightness of the MP, but twice the sustain. It is truly a fantastic instrument, and fun to look at too.

fumanshu
06-24-2011, 12:36 AM
They are all amazing, and you sir are a great player (burning all my ukes as we speak), but for me the Luis Feu de Mesquita wins it. It has the clarity and brightness of the MP, but twice the sustain. It is truly a fantastic instrument, and fun to look at too.

Hi T! Thanks for your feedback. I think if you have the chance to pick the 3 to try them out, you will clearly see that the Luis Feu de Mesquita is such a powerful instrument as soon as you pick it up and play with it....

You don't necesserly realize it if you don't have any uke to compare too....but as soon as you have something to compare, it's just so obvious.

True that is has the clarity of the MP spruce top but if you listen carefully to the clip, the sustain and natural reverb of the Luis one is simply amazing...It has lots of overtones too.

But hey, if someone give me any of these 3 ukes, for sure I will take them without hesitation since like you said, they are all nice instruments!!! :)

Talk to you soon!

BadLands Bart
06-24-2011, 05:18 AM
Loved them all!!!! The MP was very clear and I thought it sounded the "best of the group" but I would not get rid of anyone of those ukes!!
Very nice comparrioson and BTW you play really great!!!

Thanks

fumanshu
06-24-2011, 10:23 AM
Loved them all!!!! The MP was very clear and I thought it sounded the "best of the group" but I would not get rid of anyone of those ukes!!
Very nice comparrioson and BTW you play really great!!!

Thanks

Hi badLands... It's true that the MP has a very clear sound and quite loud also....MP custom is still one of the best bargain in the uke industry in my personal book!!! He's building such nice customs at such affordable price.

Thanks

olgoat52
06-24-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the Mesquita had the best balance tonally. Especially on the first piece. The middle string voicings were much clearer. But it also sound more guitar like than the rest which would not be what I would be looking for in a uke. Never heard one in the flesh or tuned re-entrant.

Looks like a very expensive instrument.

Thanks

SuzukHammer
06-24-2011, 11:51 AM

That pretty much summed it up for me. All the ukes are great and the player only made them better. I did like the LFM and then closely behind was the MP.

Nuprin
06-24-2011, 12:46 PM
I have recently started speaking with Luis about making one for me. Going with a cedar top, East Indian rosewood back & sides. I'll be sending in my deposit next week and that should put the completion date somewhere in November or December. For those interested, here's the link to ukulele portion of his website:

http://lfdmguitars.ca/choosing-a-custom-guitar/ukulele

fumanshu
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
That pretty much summed it up for me. All the ukes are great and the player only made them better. I did like the LFM and then closely behind was the MP.

Hi Suzuki...The LFdM is my favorite too, but like you said, the next one is the MP spruce top and it comes very close... Before I've got the LFdM, I've played only with my MP customs even if I have other nice uke like my Pahu Kani customs, kanilea, Koaloha Sceptre, etc.... but I always come back and pick the MP ones....

But for me, MP ukes will always be keeper since they have also that particular tone that none of the ''traditional'' ukes have.

And like I said, they are very affordable customs too.

thanks

fumanshu
06-24-2011, 04:05 PM
I think the Mesquita had the best balance tonally. Especially on the first piece. The middle string voicings were much clearer. But it also sound more guitar like than the rest which would not be what I would be looking for in a uke. Never heard one in the flesh or tuned re-entrant.

Looks like a very expensive instrument.

Thanks

Hi olgoat...You're right I think that the LFdM is like you said the most balance tonally of the 3. But I don't find it to sound like guitar...I mean, it's hard for me to see how an uke can sound like a guitar and even if it's played in low G.

As for the price, I personnally think it's quite a steal for such a nice instrument when you compare it to some other customs.... And you have to remember that Luis is taking as much time to build these as he's taking to build his classical or flamenco guitar...which is somewhere betwen 120-200 hours per guitar!

thanks!

fumanshu
06-27-2011, 12:36 PM
I have recently started speaking with Luis about making one for me. Going with a cedar top, East Indian rosewood back & sides. I'll be sending in my deposit next week and that should put the completion date somewhere in November or December. For those interested, here's the link to ukulele portion of his website:

http://lfdmguitars.ca/choosing-a-custom-guitar/ukulele

Hey Nup! So did you make your mind and decide if you will pull the trigger on a LFdM custom finally?! I'm sure you will have some good time with it. I think it's one of my best move during my UAS and this uke cures most of my UAS now!!!! hahahahah!!!

Talk to yuo soon man!

Nuprin
06-27-2011, 04:01 PM
Hey Nup! So did you make your mind and decide if you will pull the trigger on a LFdM custom finally?! I'm sure you will have some good time with it. I think it's one of my best move during my UAS and this uke cures most of my UAS now!!!! hahahahah!!!

Talk to yuo soon man!

Yup, I sent in the deposit a few days ago. I tried mailing the contract today but apparently we can't send anything to Canada due to the postal strike. I'm going with a cedar top/East Indian rosewood back & sides. Once Luis gets back from the Montreal Guitar Show he said he will send me pictures of the wood.

fumanshu
06-30-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi Nup!!! Canada Post just restart to work a few days ago....so they are big time late on everything...it's better for you just to keep the contract and post it next week.....at least there will be less chance that it's been lost in the mail!!!!

So you decide to go for the cedar top?! Well, at least it will be different from the other ukes that you have right now...

This wek end, Luis will be in Montreal for the guitar show and if I can, I will make a little clip with the spruce top-rosewood of his wife that his bringing just to show to people... It will give you an idea of how his spruce top sounds like....

Anyway...so hey nice to talk to you man!!!

pulelehua
07-01-2011, 06:04 AM
Bao,

You might remember I have an MP longneck soprano. One of the things I love about it is what I think you're calling "distortion". If I really attack it with strumming, it has a really percussive tone. It barks. If it was just louder and clearer, I think I'd like it less.

Whoever said (sorry, being lazy, bad me), flamenco guitars traditionally have either spruce or cedar tops. I think the old, old ones were spruce actually. Might be wrong there. And they're made to not have too much sustain, as that muddies the attack.

Bao, forgot to mention, gorgeous playing. Really nice. I always forget how good you are.

fumanshu
07-02-2011, 08:59 AM
Bao,

You might remember I have an MP longneck soprano. One of the things I love about it is what I think you're calling "distortion". If I really attack it with strumming, it has a really percussive tone. It barks. If it was just louder and clearer, I think I'd like it less.

Whoever said (sorry, being lazy, bad me), flamenco guitars traditionally have either spruce or cedar tops. I think the old, old ones were spruce actually. Might be wrong there. And they're made to not have too much sustain, as that muddies the attack.

Bao, forgot to mention, gorgeous playing. Really nice. I always forget how good you are.

Hey hey!! How are you?! Yes I remember that you have a MP longneck soprano and I'm sure that you still like your instrument!!! You're right, Mike's uke barks and it's true it's what make them quite unique in term of sound too. I always like my MP everytime I pick them up...they just have another kind of sound that I just don't find on any other ukes.

You don,t find your MP loud? The ones that I have from him are actually quite loud...but again, like I said in the past, Mike's uke are very string sensitive, so you really have to find the perfect strings if you want to et the best from his uke.

As for flamenco guitars, the traditional ones we're made with spruce top combined with Cypress back and sides, the cypress really gives that kind of short sustain and sharp attack to flamenco players.

Also, thanks for your kind words. I think I'm just trying to improve my uke playing and sometimes I just don't know what I'm doing with my uke, if I'm improving or not !!!!

The problem that I really have is that I'm kind of lazy to learn complete songs and concentrate more on my techniques rather than learning new songs!!!!! Other problem I have is that I love string instruments.....so I have to spend time practicing also, my lap steel slide MP ukulele, my Weissenborn slide, Epinette des Vosges and finally flamenco guitar....so it's way too much things to practice for someone who is only playing instruments for fun!!!!! hahahahah!!!

Nice to talk to you!!!

Nuprin
07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Hi Nup!!! Canada Post just restart to work a few days ago....so they are big time late on everything...it's better for you just to keep the contract and post it next week.....at least there will be less chance that it's been lost in the mail!!!!

So you decide to go for the cedar top?! Well, at least it will be different from the other ukes that you have right now...

This wek end, Luis will be in Montreal for the guitar show and if I can, I will make a little clip with the spruce top-rosewood of his wife that his bringing just to show to people... It will give you an idea of how his spruce top sounds like....

Anyway...so hey nice to talk to you man!!!

Thanks for the tip Bao. I'll wait another week or so before sending it off. Did you make it to the Montreal Guitar Show? I live about an hour and a half south of Montreal but had to work each day the show was on. Would have loved to say hi to Luis myself!

On a side note, I decided to go low G with my MP. I originally kept on the T2s I had and just added a wound G string. I liked the way it sounded but then noticed a set of low G Worth Browns I had kicking around. Decided to experiment so I tried them last night and I am pretty disappointed. I love Worth Browns on my Breedlove but they sound pretty lifeless on the MP. Looks like I have to order a couple more sets of T2s so I can get her sounding nice again! Out of curiosity, what string are you using for your low G on your MP?

fumanshu
07-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Thanks for the tip Bao. I'll wait another week or so before sending it off. Did you make it to the Montreal Guitar Show? I live about an hour and a half south of Montreal but had to work each day the show was on. Would have loved to say hi to Luis myself!

On a side note, I decided to go low G with my MP. I originally kept on the T2s I had and just added a wound G string. I liked the way it sounded but then noticed a set of low G Worth Browns I had kicking around. Decided to experiment so I tried them last night and I am pretty disappointed. I love Worth Browns on my Breedlove but they sound pretty lifeless on the MP. Looks like I have to order a couple more sets of T2s so I can get her sounding nice again! Out of curiosity, what string are you using for your low G on your MP?

Hey Chris! I didn't know that you're not living that far from Montreal!!! Only 1 hour and a half south from me...man that's cool.....it would be great if we could meet one of these days so we can share and try our ukes!!! hahah!!!!!

That's too bad that you can't make to the show. I'm jus coming back from vacation so I'll drop by the show today for the last day of it. Jake Shimabukuro will do workshop too....but I just don't see what he will cover since you can't bring any instrument to the Montreal Guitar show! He's doing a show tonight for the Montreal Jazz Festival...I did not buy my ticket yet but I might if I can make it tonight.

As for the MP, you're totally right, Worth Brown doesn't sound good at all on his uke....and before I tell him to change and not put Worth on his uke, that's what he always put on his customs! Actually, the T2 that you have on your uke was his first attempt after I told him that it's what I was using after testing a whole bunch of classical guitar strings on is ukes and suggest him that he has to put them on his next customs....and he did with your custom tenor!!!!

Mike's uke need strings that can drive his top efficiently if not, you just can't get the best of it. For the low G, my favorite classical guitar basses are always the Augustine blue set again after testing a whole bunch of basses set of strings on my clasical and flamenco guitar and ukulele. I think it's the best basses around there, and it's one of the favorite basses set for a lot of classical guitar player also. They are very consistent and last quite long.

So I use the 4th string of the Augustine blue. You can just buy this string seperately online.

Also and you probably know since Mike strung you uke the way I told him to try, that I always put the 4th at a higher tension than the 1st one...and I do the same when I strung my ukes in low G....I always put a low G high tension because I have the feeling of a sloppy bass string and it doesn't sound eighter.

I know a lot of player hate wound strings because it makes squish when you play. Personnally I think it's all in your technique, and I think with a proper technique, nobody will be bother by the squish sound at all...so to me, it's not a problem at all....

A lot of player complain about the fact that the bass can cover all the sound the rest of the strings on a uke. Again, I think it's all about how you control your bass string, you can make it sound loud or not but again, it's all in the technique...

By the way, you probably notice that I'm not playing with the strings that Luis strung my uke initially. I did make a whole bunch of strings testing when I came home with the uke to see how they do react and what sound best....Luis really like how it sounds with the set of strings I strung it on the vid I did.
I think it's the best set of strings for his uke also... I'll let him know my conclusion and you will probably receive your uke with that setting probably.

Hey talk to you later!

Nuprin
07-03-2011, 03:15 AM
Hey Chris! I didn't know that you're not living that far from Montreal!!! Only 1 hour and a half south from me...man that's cool.....it would be great if we could meet one of these days so we can share and try our ukes!!! hahah!!!!!

By the way, you probably notice that I'm not playing with the strings that Luis strung my uke initially. I did make a whole bunch of strings testing when I came home with the uke to see how they do react and what sound best....Luis really like how it sounds with the set of strings I strung it on the vid I did.
I think it's the best set of strings for his uke also... I'll let him know my conclusion and you will probably receive your uke with that setting probably.

Hey talk to you later!

I'd love to get together sometime! I rarely make it to Montreal anymore as I always seem to have things I need to get done around here. I'll definitely let you know if I'm heading your way though. If you ever find yourself going to Burlington, VT let me know!

What strings are you using on your LFdM? On the contract he sent to me he noted that he was going to string it with Aquilas. I don't hate Aquilas but I don't love them either. Since you've done some string tests on yours, I'd be interested in hearing your findings.

Mouthy1
07-03-2011, 07:31 AM
So I don't have a qualified ear to make judgement but to me, the kanilea was a hands down winner. I seem to be the opposite of most of these type of threads where I seem to like the one others don't regard as high. The kan. Rings forever and sounds sweet. I am not saying I am right, I just wonder why I don't see what everyone else sees? I am truly wondering. I am 37 and never played an instrument or ever cared before I started the uke 2.5 years ago so I am sure I am wrong on most occasions but it perplexes me? I love the all but the big K wins to me.

pulelehua
07-03-2011, 09:40 AM
So I don't have a qualified ear to make judgement but to me, the kanilea was a hands down winner. I seem to be the opposite of most of these type of threads where I seem to like the one others don't regard as high. The kan. Rings forever and sounds sweet. I am not saying I am right, I just wonder why I don't see what everyone else sees? I am truly wondering. I am 37 and never played an instrument or ever cared before I started the uke 2.5 years ago so I am sure I am wrong on most occasions but it perplexes me? I love the all but the big K wins to me.

I think people who play out a lot prefer the sounds which cut through, and often that means loud and trebly. The Kanilea would be easier to lose in a mix. I agree that it is really sweet.

And remember, there is no wrong. Your ears get one vote, just like everyone else's.

fumanshu
07-03-2011, 04:36 PM
I think people who play out a lot prefer the sounds which cut through, and often that means loud and trebly. The Kanilea would be easier to lose in a mix. I agree that it is really sweet.

And remember, there is no wrong. Your ears get one vote, just like everyone else's.

I think you're right, there's no right or wrong...it's all 3 very good ukes so at that point, it's more what kind of sound you like and what you are looking for in a uke.

By the way, I just come back from the Montreal Guitar show and went to Jake Shimabukuro show and workshop!!!!! He's truly a great player and nice person...

At the worshop, Luis let him try his custom uke. He likes it a lot...only thing being that it was strung in low G and it's not his tuning but other than that, he says it's such a nice instrument..

Anyway...hey there's a few pics that I took...

ok....now I realize how short I am...I thought that Jake was short...but he's taller than me!!!! ahahahahh!!!

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/bao1975/jakeetbao.jpg

Here's him with Luis and trying his uke....

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/bao1975/jakeandluis.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/bao1975/jakeluisuke.jpg

RichM
07-03-2011, 06:17 PM
I think the value of our de Mesquita ukes just doubled because you took a photo of Jake with one... :)

rasputinsghost
07-03-2011, 07:48 PM
what did jake think of it??? did you get video of him playing?

fumanshu
07-03-2011, 11:27 PM
I think the value of our de Mesquita ukes just doubled because you took a photo of Jake with one... :)

hahahaha!!!! No, but seriously Luis did get a lot of attention at the show with his ukaferri, his flamenco guitar and specially with his Baroque Stradivari Period Guitar. There was even other luthiers at the show that tried his flamenco guitar and just can't believe how they sound.

Well, I think people just realize how much care he's putting in each of his instruments...

By the way, did you get your uke yet? He told me that he shipped it for a while right?

How do you like it? You should definitely change the strings that are on it and get some decent classical guitar strings...I've change mine as you can see in the clip and it's quite day and night. I've tried yesterday at the show the one he brought and it was strung with Aquila and I then realize it's even way better with the strings I'm using....so you really should change just to see, if you don't like it...well you can still get back to Aquila...

But I've talked about that to Luis and he's future custom will probably be strung with the same strings that I'm using on mine.

fumanshu
07-03-2011, 11:38 PM
what did jake think of it??? did you get video of him playing?

Well, you have to understand that Jake is now having probably a man that follow him, carry his uke,etc....so you can't spend too much time with him!!! But he did try twice Luis uke and he really likes it. But like I told earlier, because the uke was strung in low G, he seems just not as natural as if it would be tune re-entrant ... But he did a few picking and tremolo stuff on it and for sure it sounds good...anyhing in his hand would sound good I guess!!!

I didn't have any video of him playing it since, there we're lot of people surrounding him waiting for signature and people watching at Luis uke etc.....

RichM
07-04-2011, 08:10 AM
hahahaha!!!! No, but seriously Luis did get a lot of attention at the show with his ukaferri, his flamenco guitar and specially with his Baroque Stradivari Period Guitar. There was even other luthiers at the show that tried his flamenco guitar and just can't believe how they sound.

Well, I think people just realize how much care he's putting in each of his instruments...

By the way, did you get your uke yet? He told me that he shipped it for a while right?

How do you like it? You should definitely change the strings that are on it and get some decent classical guitar strings...I've change mine as you can see in the clip and it's quite day and night. I've tried yesterday at the show the one he brought and it was strung with Aquila and I then realize it's even way better with the strings I'm using....so you really should change just to see, if you don't like it...well you can still get back to Aquila...

But I've talked about that to Luis and he's future custom will probably be strung with the same strings that I'm using on mine.

Yes, I received my LFdM uke two weeks ago. I was out of town for several days after that, so I didn't get to really put it through its paces. Now that I'm back, I've had a chance to really enjoy it-- it's a stunning ukulele! I promise I'll write a more significant review once I have two moments to string together...:)

Luis shipped it via expedited shipping so I'd get it before I went away, which I though was a really wonderful gesture. And as for strings, I still have the Aquilas on, but I'm open to trying something new!

fumanshu
07-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Yes, I received my LFdM uke two weeks ago. I was out of town for several days after that, so I didn't get to really put it through its paces. Now that I'm back, I've had a chance to really enjoy it-- it's a stunning ukulele! I promise I'll write a more significant review once I have two moments to string together...:)

Luis shipped it via expedited shipping so I'd get it before I went away, which I though was a really wonderful gesture. And as for strings, I still have the Aquilas on, but I'm open to trying something new!

Nice RichM! Since you already have some nice ukes, it would be nice to see how does it compare to your other ukes...

But I think you clearly see that Luis put a lot of little details into his work....as for the sound, I think you see that his uke resonates quite a lot....and loud......but it will be even louder once you will put proper strings on it!