My 3 favorite tenor MP vs Kanilea vs Luis Feu de Mesquita

fumanshu

Reaction score
Hi guys! Ok, since I start to have too much tenor ukes and I just don't know how do they compare to each other, I decide to make a little clip today just to see which one sound like what etc...

So, you will hear in the order, my custom MP (Mike Pereira), the Kanilea super tenor and finally my new baby Luis Feu de Mesquita custom.

So for each, I did some fingerpicking, chord melody and finally strumming.

And honesty, I like them all...they just sound different. But overall, I would say that the Luis Feu de Mesquita has a much fuller tone that is more consistant all over the fretboard. It's a little bit less bright also because the top is made of cedar tonewood.

I think the difference is that the sound doesn't distort when you pick or strum let's say harder...It will be louder but will maintain the same tone compare to the 2 others that will kind of distort as the volume get louder....

Anyway....hope you enjoy!

Thanks and watching and you can leave your observation etc...

Aloha Bruddah Bao!

Mahalo for making a comparison video for your 3 Tenor Ukes. They are all sweet ukes with their own individual voices. Just goes to show you that you just can't settle for having one ukulele. I know what the MP Uke and the Kanilea Super Tenor goes for price wise, how much did the Luis Feu de Mesquita set you back? I'm shopping around for my next tenor uke.

Aloha Bruddah Bao!

Mahalo for making a comparison video for your 3 Tenor Ukes. They are all sweet ukes with their own individual voices. Just goes to show you that you just can't settle for having one ukulele. I know what the MP Uke and the Kanilea Super Tenor goes for price wise, how much did the Luis Feu de Mesquita set you back? I'm shopping around for my next tenor uke.

Hey hi! You're right, they just have their own personnality and I'm always amazed when I take them out and play with to realize that they are all good at the end and sometimes, I think I have too much ukes and want to thin down...but after playing with them....I always want to keep them all!!! hahahah!!!

As for price, Luis uke are around the same price as a nice Kanilea tenor custom....Difference is in the way Luis is working and designing his uke... He use lattice bracing and he modified it to make it adapted for the uke in the way to make the soundboard vibrate as much as possible.....

His uke is a real masterpiece in term of design...if you have a conversation with him he will all explain in details how he design each parts of hi uke!!!!

After looking at all your nice uke collection...I think you should consider to get one of his uke...you will sure not be disapointed!

I love the clear bright sounds of the MP mmmm and the warmth of the Kanilea oh and the sweet Luis Feu de Mesquita is pretty good too. If I had to choose I may choose the MP.

I love the clear bright sounds of the MP mmmm and the warmth of the Kanilea oh and the sweet Luis Feu de Mesquita is pretty good too. If I had to choose I may choose the MP.

Hahhaah!!! Yeah, I think the brightness of the MP is nice, the only thing that I observe is that the end of each notes seems to distort a little bit...and it kind make some ''click''...maybe it's my weak technique too!!!! hahahah!!!!

The MP is the uke that I played the most these past years....so the sound is now very open and mature compare to what it was a few years ago.

Aloha Bruddah Bao,
I have a madagascar rosewood back and side and spruce top MP...I slapped some Low g Koolau Alohi on and now it sings...dropped the tuning and everytime I play it I get a free ultrasound on my
stomach from the resonation and vibrations...MM Stan
I had the same sound as you with worth browns on my concert...and when I changed the strings it became warmer...the thicker regular strings balances out
the wound string... I love my MP and for One third the price if my other custom ukes,
it wipes them out......

Last edited:
Aloha Bruddah Bao,
I have a madagascar rosewood back and side and spruce top MP...I slapped some Low g Koolau Alohi on and now it sings...dropped the tuning and everytime I play it I get a free ultrasound on my
stomach from the resonation and vibrations...MM Stan

Hi Stan!....so you're one of the owner of the Madagascar Rosewood!!!! I have one too and for sure it's one of my favorite also and it's true that man...mine resonate like hell too...specially if you play it low G like you said!!! I think it's one of the best combo that Mike did....along with the spruce top-koa back-sides....

Keep that uke Stan...it's a really nice piece!

But hey, you all know I have a hell collection of MP ukes!!!! hahahaah!!!!!

I liked the Kanile'a and the Luis Feu de Mesquita the best though they both are distinctive. I think the flamenco guitars have the cedar tops so the type of playing you were doing seemed more toward the Luis. Great stuff and great playing

I liked the Kanile'a and the Luis Feu de Mesquita the best though they both are distinctive. I think the flamenco guitars have the cedar tops so the type of playing you were doing seemed more toward the Luis. Great stuff and great playing

Hi hapuna! Thanks, well cedar top is not that often used in flamenco, you will see them more in classical guitar and acoustic guitar...but what I observe and believe is that cedar is a tonewood that react quite fast to picking and you don't have to go hard to get some volume and make it ''sing'' I believe it's a more ''singing'' and ''sweeter'' tonewood compare to spruce top. I think you can hear it in the clip too.

Thanks

They are all amazing, and you sir are a great player (burning all my ukes as we speak), but for me the Luis Feu de Mesquita wins it. It has the clarity and brightness of the MP, but twice the sustain. It is truly a fantastic instrument, and fun to look at too.

They are all amazing, and you sir are a great player (burning all my ukes as we speak), but for me the Luis Feu de Mesquita wins it. It has the clarity and brightness of the MP, but twice the sustain. It is truly a fantastic instrument, and fun to look at too.

Hi T! Thanks for your feedback. I think if you have the chance to pick the 3 to try them out, you will clearly see that the Luis Feu de Mesquita is such a powerful instrument as soon as you pick it up and play with it....

You don't necesserly realize it if you don't have any uke to compare too....but as soon as you have something to compare, it's just so obvious.

True that is has the clarity of the MP spruce top but if you listen carefully to the clip, the sustain and natural reverb of the Luis one is simply amazing...It has lots of overtones too.

But hey, if someone give me any of these 3 ukes, for sure I will take them without hesitation since like you said, they are all nice instruments!!! :)

Talk to you soon!

Loved them all!!!! The MP was very clear and I thought it sounded the "best of the group" but I would not get rid of anyone of those ukes!!
Very nice comparrioson and BTW you play really great!!!

Thanks

Loved them all!!!! The MP was very clear and I thought it sounded the "best of the group" but I would not get rid of anyone of those ukes!!
Very nice comparrioson and BTW you play really great!!!

Thanks

Hi badLands... It's true that the MP has a very clear sound and quite loud also....MP custom is still one of the best bargain in the uke industry in my personal book!!! He's building such nice customs at such affordable price.

Thanks

I think the Mesquita had the best balance tonally. Especially on the first piece. The middle string voicings were much clearer. But it also sound more guitar like than the rest which would not be what I would be looking for in a uke. Never heard one in the flesh or tuned re-entrant.

Looks like a very expensive instrument.

Thanks

That pretty much summed it up for me. All the ukes are great and the player only made them better. I did like the LFM and then closely behind was the MP.

I have recently started speaking with Luis about making one for me. Going with a cedar top, East Indian rosewood back & sides. I'll be sending in my deposit next week and that should put the completion date somewhere in November or December. For those interested, here's the link to ukulele portion of his website:

http://lfdmguitars.ca/choosing-a-custom-guitar/ukulele

That pretty much summed it up for me. All the ukes are great and the player only made them better. I did like the LFM and then closely behind was the MP.

Hi Suzuki...The LFdM is my favorite too, but like you said, the next one is the MP spruce top and it comes very close... Before I've got the LFdM, I've played only with my MP customs even if I have other nice uke like my Pahu Kani customs, kanilea, Koaloha Sceptre, etc.... but I always come back and pick the MP ones....

But for me, MP ukes will always be keeper since they have also that particular tone that none of the ''traditional'' ukes have.

And like I said, they are very affordable customs too.

thanks

I think the Mesquita had the best balance tonally. Especially on the first piece. The middle string voicings were much clearer. But it also sound more guitar like than the rest which would not be what I would be looking for in a uke. Never heard one in the flesh or tuned re-entrant.

Looks like a very expensive instrument.

Thanks

Hi olgoat...You're right I think that the LFdM is like you said the most balance tonally of the 3. But I don't find it to sound like guitar...I mean, it's hard for me to see how an uke can sound like a guitar and even if it's played in low G.

As for the price, I personnally think it's quite a steal for such a nice instrument when you compare it to some other customs.... And you have to remember that Luis is taking as much time to build these as he's taking to build his classical or flamenco guitar...which is somewhere betwen 120-200 hours per guitar!

thanks!

Top Bottom