My Makala Dolphin Yellow arrived!

SunnyUke

Reaction score
2011-06-24_05-43-02_343.jpg

2011-06-24_05-42-50_720.jpg

The second pic is more accurate than the first, but it's a really nice yellow...not too neon like I was afraid of. Love it! Named it Sunny, of course. ;)

I'm trying to decide if I need a better protective bag/case for it. It came with the standard bag, which is very thin and no padding. So I'm wondering what to get as I don't know if I want to spend almost as much as the ukulele cost on a case ya know?

Anyways, it's a lot of fun albeit very small...I don't know how some of you bigger fingered dudes play it as I'm struggling with girl hands. I'm sure it gets easier with time, tho.

Thanks for lookin!

actually, if you have the cardboard box, you could make it into a case using ductape etc. Most cases cost more than a Makala dolphin so it makes sense to make a cardboard case or just use the cardboard case the way it is. I found that covering the cardboard in colored duct tape made it waterproof incase I had to run in from my car or something. Makes it look better .... I myself wouldn't spend money on a case for a dolphin because you could just buy a spare dolphin instead.

Last edited:
Aloha Sunnyuke,
congratulations..it looks soo cool....does it come with Aquila strings already..who did you buy it from?? have fun and enjoy..Happy strummings..MM Stan

Aloha Sunnyuke,
congratulations..it looks soo cool....does it come with Aquila strings already..who did you buy it from?? have fun and enjoy..Happy strummings..MM Stan

Thanks! It did come with the Aquila strings....that was kind of a mandatory thing for me due to my lack of knowledge at stringing instruments. No one around me had the Makala Dolphin and the Aquila strings to string it with, so I resorted to internet and the lovely recs here and got mine from UkeRepublic.com :) Very pleasant and quick experience although I am in a nearby state to them, so shipping only took 2 days. Unfortunately, my tuner has not been so quick at getting here. I got it off of Amazon...it arrives next Tuesday *sigh*. I think I'm getting the hang of tuning it with online tuners, but this thing needs tuning all the time! I've heard it's because you have to break in the new strings....hope that's the case lol. Just something to be aware of...get your tuner before your uke! ;)

actually, if you have the cardboard box, you could make it into a case using ductape etc. Most cases cost more than a Makala dolphin so it makes sense to make a cardboard case or just use the cardboard case the way it is. I found that covering the cardboard in colored duct tape made it waterproof incase I had to run in from my car or something. Makes it look better .... I myself wouldn't spend money on a case for a dolphin because you could just buy a spare dolphin instead.

Well UkeRepublic sent it in the cardboard box, and I didn't really think much about making it into a case when opening it. So yeah...it's pretty trashed lol. Thanks anyways tho!

you can tug on the strings with your fingers a little to stretch them a little faster. are you in TN or Alabama? I am in TN and going to Atlanta today for a visit.

Carolina girl here. :) Thanks for the suggestion about the strings...I'll give that a shot! Do you by chance know if Worths are easier on the fingers? I've heard they don't sound quite as good on the Makala, but they are softer on the fingerpads.

Congrats on the yellow dolphin!.. I bought a yellow dolphin a month ago from the local music shop.. Its an awesome instrument for the price..They didn't have Aquillas there so i bought some Kala Reds which sound pretty darn good..I'm a Va Beach boy so I'll say howdy neighbor!..Keep rockin the dolphin!

Carolina girl here. :) Thanks for the suggestion about the strings...I'll give that a shot! Do you by chance know if Worths are easier on the fingers? I've heard they don't sound quite as good on the Makala, but they are softer on the fingerpads.

I HAD to have a Yellow Dolphin after seeing the Jive Aces, "Bring Me Sunshine" video & unfortunately at the time. Mike was out at UkeRepublic, so got mine elsewhere. Love the dolphins!

As to strings, I put Worth browns on mine, but actually I do prefer Aquila's on them. To my fingers, Aquila's feel better - the Worths are thinner & tighter. For the case question... I picked up an AnueNue soprano gig bag from Amazon for about the price I paid for the Dolphin. Its a great gig bag & the price isn't bad, though any additional $$ you spend on a Dolphin seems to raise the inevitable "So how much did that $40 uke REALLY cost 'ya?" :)

Here's a pic of the AnueNue gig bag I bought - they are well padded & make dragging around a Dolphin a bit easier.

!BsWCjOwB2k~$(KGrHqQOKjQEvVuUlg+7BL3dhQNZzw~~_3.jpg

I HAD to have a Yellow Dolphin after seeing the Jive Aces, "Bring Me Sunshine" video & unfortunately at the time. Mike was out at UkeRepublic, so got mine elsewhere. Love the dolphins!

As to strings, I put Worth browns on mine, but actually I do prefer Aquila's on them. To my fingers, Aquila's feel better - the Worths are thinner & tighter. For the case question... I picked up an AnueNue soprano gig bag from Amazon for about the price I paid for the Dolphin. Its a great gig bag & the price isn't bad, though any additional $$ you spend on a Dolphin seems to raise the inevitable "So how much did that $40 uke REALLY cost 'ya?" :)

Here's a pic of the AnueNue gig bag I bought - they are well padded & make dragging around a Dolphin a bit easier.

View attachment 24970

So if I'm hearing you right, Worths aren't any more comfortable or easier to press down as the case may be. That's what I'm really concerned with is the ease of pressing down. I had a guitar in college with steel strings that I could never play, but I got pretty decent once I got nylon strings on it. They must've been super thin and soft, tho, cause Aquila's are nylon right? And they don't feel as near as soft and squishy lol.

Nice bag! I'm still pondering the money issue. I figure if I'm not traveling with it a lot and just messin on it at home I may not need one. But if I find one cheap enough I would certainly pick it up. I may save my money for when I get a Mainland or a Flea that will need protecting and such. Decisions decisions lol.

Ukes, Dolphin's, strings, & pressure... Coming from a guitar background, used to pressing really hard on those steel strings, its easy to overdo it w/ukes. So, first, back off a bit intentionally & press really lightly. Since Mike set up your Dolphin, its already WAY better than a straight-from-the-factory one would be, so I'd bet that the Aquila's will work just fine. The Worths ARE a harder-to-press string due the the higher tension, but even these work really well if the "action" is set right - which my Dolphin wasn't because I had to buy it direct to get the Yellow one at the time I was jonesing for it!

Short answer - Worths might be less comfortable for you.

Nothing finer than a carolina with a dolphin....Hope you tuner arrives soon...for faster breaking in on the aquilas....bend each indidvidual string from side to side three times from the G string to
the A string.. repeat process 3-4 times.... do every day until the strings settles in...an keeps it's tune....aquils usually take a little longer than most strings...by then you tuner should arrive..
Dr uke has an online tuner...happy strummings...MM Stan

Nothing finer than a carolina with a dolphin....Hope you tuner arrives soon...for faster breaking in on the aquilas....bend each indidvidual string from side to side three times from the G string to
the A string.. repeat process 3-4 times.... do every day until the strings settles in...an keeps it's tune....aquils usually take a little longer than most strings...by then you tuner should arrive..
Dr uke has an online tuner...happy strummings...MM Stan

Thanks! :) I will try breaking them in. I have been using a couple of online tuners, but I'm a bit scared of breaking the strings by tuning it too much up or down. I guess I need to grow some courage lol.

Ukes, Dolphin's, strings, & pressure... Coming from a guitar background, used to pressing really hard on those steel strings, its easy to overdo it w/ukes. So, first, back off a bit intentionally & press really lightly. Since Mike set up your Dolphin, its already WAY better than a straight-from-the-factory one would be, so I'd bet that the Aquila's will work just fine. The Worths ARE a harder-to-press string due the the higher tension, but even these work really well if the "action" is set right - which my Dolphin wasn't because I had to buy it direct to get the Yellow one at the time I was jonesing for it!

Short answer - Worths might be less comfortable for you.

I'll try not pressing as hard and see how that goes...I may be killin it right? I'm glad I don't have to go out and get the Worths and try to put them on myself....that's a relief. :)

I am a real Aquila fan and they do make a Dolphin sing.
Breaking them in is always a challenge. As other have suggested bend them to help stretch them.
For the first few days of new strings, I tune them up a step before putting the uke away.
When they stop stretching the uke will stay sharp. I usually get them stretched in a day or two.
I just tried a set of the new Kala Reds on a white dolphin. not only do they look super cool, but I am very pleased with the sound.
Most of the dolphins I get I donate or use on kids programs, so the dollar saved on the Kala Reds is welcomed as well.

I am a real Aquila fan and they do make a Dolphin sing.
Breaking them in is always a challenge. As other have suggested bend them to help stretch them.
For the first few days of new strings, I tune them up a step before putting the uke away.
When they stop stretching the uke will stay sharp. I usually get them stretched in a day or two.
I just tried a set of the new Kala Reds on a white dolphin. not only do they look super cool, but I am very pleased with the sound.
Most of the dolphins I get I donate or use on kids programs, so the dollar saved on the Kala Reds is welcomed as well.

Stretching won't help with pressing them down for chords tho right? My fingers get sore after about 20 minutes of messing around on it. I guess it's just par for the course. I'm sure they will toughen up eventually lol. I may have to try the Kala Reds once these get wore out, and I learn how to restring of course. ;)

Top Bottom