getting a uke tattoo today!

DustyElmer

Reaction score
hopefully, anyway. i'm thinking a pineapple uke with a banner that says "aloha". what do you all think?! i'm open to suggestions!

Funny you mention this DustyE...I've been thinking 'bout doing the same thing for quite awhile now, but haven't yet summoned the courage. But the thing is I've never had something I was so passionate about before...except maybe charlie brown and eugenie...he he

I love your idea of the pineapple shape with the 'aloha' wording...I'm with Tim, have you got a picture of the graphic you've got in mind?

i don't have a picture! i'll just bring my Ukulele book and have the artist draw it up for me. i'll post a pic of it later on if i end up being able to get it! played a gig (on drums...blah!) last night and ran into a tattooer buddy of mine. hadn't seen him in a while, and he offered to tattoo me for free today if i stop by the shop he works at.

i agree on the passion thing. i really think the uke saved my life, as cliched as that is. i've never had an instrument bring so much happiness, and it's the only instrument that, when i'm out of the house, i truly miss playing, and can't wait to get home and play. so i figure, why not throw it on the ol' forearm?

i agree on the passion thing. i really think the uke saved my life, as cliched as that is. i've never had an instrument bring so much happiness, and it's the only instrument that, when i'm out of the house, i truly miss playing, and can't wait to get home and play. so i figure, why not throw it on the ol' forearm?
TOTALLY AGREE bro. I've been through some heavy stuff too and I just couldn't agree more. I don't even allow myself to pine for it these days...I take one with me wherever I go mate. never have to miss it then. :) All the best with it Dusty, hope he does an awesome job for ya.

a uke tatoo... that is hardcore ukulele dedicaton righ there

this begs the question, anyone else got uketats? photos?

Make sure he knows not to make a little guitar tattoo :)

Make sure he knows not to make a little guitar tattoo :)

that's why i'm getting the pineapple! figure there's no way it'll get mistaken for a guitar. i wish i had room on my "Hawaiian" arm (with a hula girl and palm trees) but it's gonna have to go on the other arm.

i don't have a picture! i'll just bring my Ukulele book and have the artist draw it up for me. i'll post a pic of it later on if i end up being able to get it! played a gig (on drums...blah!) last night and ran into a tattooer buddy of mine. hadn't seen him in a while, and he offered to tattoo me for free today if i stop by the shop he works at.

why do you leave your uke at home?

up until about 20 minutes ago i only had one uke, so i was kind of nervous about taking it everywhere with me. but since the tattoo plan fell through (for today...might do it tomorrow!), i went to the music store and grabbed a Lanikai soprano to console myself with. now i'll probably carry my banjo uke everywhere with me since it's built like a tank!

Something you can live with for the rest of your life... tattoo regrets last as long as the tattoos.

Keep in mind that ink spreads. Slowly, but it can make a finely detailled a blurry mess after a couple of decades. I have an exquisitely inked mosasaur, trilobite and Quetzalcoatalus on my arms, all of which have lost some clarity over the years. An old Om Mani Padme Hum tat on my chest is hard to recognize today. And the once-crisp Chinese phrase on my scapula is blurry. So get a good inker and good design.

Will you always love and play the uke? I might have a Gibson or Martin guitar on me, had I decided to get a tat back in the 70s. Would seem rather out of date, today. Or it could have been a Harley Davidson, or a Triumph, Royal Enfield or BSA bike... I'd probably have an old Atari logo from the early 80s, somewhere on my flesh. All of them are things I loved once but have moved on from since.

I can happily live with the dinosaurs for the rest of my days, and may even get a finned pelycosaur inked sometime soon (I have the image, just haven't got to a studio). I have a great ink-ready headshot of Darwin I've always wanted to put on my other scapula, too.

Just be sure it's something you want to live with when you're 40 or 50 or 60...

Something you can live with for the rest of your life... tattoo regrets last as long as the tattoos.

Keep in mind that ink spreads. Slowly, but it can make a finely detailled a blurry mess after a couple of decades. I have an exquisitely inked mosasaur, trilobite and Quetzalcoatalus on my arms, all of which have lost some clarity over the years. An old Om Mani Padme Hum tat on my chest is hard to recognize today. And the once-crisp Chinese phrase on my scapula is blurry. So get a good inker and good design.

Will you always love and play the uke? I might have a Gibson or Martin guitar on me, had I decided to get a tat back in the 70s. Would seem rather out of date, today. Or it could have been a Harley Davidson, or a Triumph, Royal Enfield or BSA bike... I'd probably have an old Atari logo from the early 80s, somewhere on my flesh. All of them are things I loved once but have moved on from since.

I can happily live with the dinosaurs for the rest of my days, and may even get a finned pelycosaur inked sometime soon (I have the image, just haven't got to a studio). I have a great ink-ready headshot of Darwin I've always wanted to put on my other scapula, too.

Just be sure it's something you want to live with when you're 40 or 50 or 60...

As that "pineapple" slowly goes from being a soprano, to a concert to a tenor to a baritone, to a guitar! :)

Aloha Dusty,
Woo hoo free ink......and the ukulele... maybe some music notes....hope you have pic's too when it's done....

I'm gonna get the login from the mighty Uke film on my arse or butt as you all say in America

Last edited:
Top Bottom