Are my nails the correct length?

SunnyUke

Reaction score
How far down do you file the nails on your left hand? Here are mine so far:

lefthandnails.jpg

lefthandback.jpg

And do you have a nail on your pointer finger for strumming on the right hand? I can't seem to do an upstroke very well....should it be shorter?

strumpointer1.jpg

strumpointerback.jpg

Thank you for the help!

Everyone is different...I like mine 3-4 times longer....I guess it is personal preference...depends if you are picking or strumming..
Little longer for me for strumming and shorter for picking for a better and cleaner attack..

Last edited:
This really all has to do with what you like. I cut my left hand nails way down, because I find it distracting when they touch the fretboard.

I file my right hand index, naughty and ring finger nails to just past the end of the finger tip. It lets me use them for fingerpicking, strumming, whatever. I used to wear them longer, but I kept breaking them right before shows, so I changed up.

This really all has to do with what you like. I cut my left hand nails way down, because I find it distracting when they touch the fretboard.

I file my right hand index, naughty and ring finger nails to just past the end of the finger tip. It lets me use them for fingerpicking, strumming, whatever. I used to wear them longer, but I kept breaking them right before shows, so I changed up.

Well, I'm just strumming now. I'm just wondering if I file it down more if it will help with my upstroke ya know?

north or south?
In charolette there is a monthly jam that Mims Ukes host and if you are in the western carolina mountains, I can point you in the direction of some ukers as well.

I'm in South...about 1.5 hrs from Mim's I'd say. I want to definitely go visit her sometime. I tried to get my uke from her, but she was out of Aquilas. :( I'd rather wait until I know how to play a few things well before making the trips anyways...so I can try out some other ukes hehe. This is going to be so bad for my wallet!

As a right handed player (Finger with LEFT hand)
I keep mine very short,don't want any nail touching
the fingerboard! Aside from wearing out the strings
quicker it CAN actually mark up your fretboard.
Strumming hand a fraction longer,JUST over the
end of my fingers,no more.
And as an ex guitarist who never used a pick,thats
how I have always done it!

As a right handed player (Finger with LEFT hand)
I keep mine very short,don't want any nail touching
the fingerboard! Aside from wearing out the strings
quicker it CAN actually mark up your fretboard.
Strumming hand a fraction longer,JUST over the
end of my fingers,no more.
And as an ex guitarist who never used a pick,thats
how I have always done it!

Got it...so mine need to probably be shortened a bit more although I don't know how much shorter I can go on my left hand without my fingers hurting. I guess cause I grew my nails out for so long they don't want to recede back. Thanks!

I trim mine to the quick. Nada sticking up. I find it is easier to play, to chord, hold a pick, fingerpick and type with short nails. I don't like the harsh sound a nail always imparts to the string, either. I use my fingertips to better control the sound. Cleaner this way, too. When I want the brash sound, I use a pick.

I trim mine to the quick. Nada sticking up. I find it is easier to play, to chord, hold a pick, fingerpick and type with short nails. I don't like the harsh sound a nail always imparts to the string, either. I use my fingertips to better control the sound. Cleaner this way, too. When I want the brash sound, I use a pick.

Thanks! I like your site too....your reviews will come in handy when I go to get another uke. :)

Not to highjack the thread, but well............... As a guitar finger picker (mainly steel string) and new uke player, I mainly pick with the "meat" of my finger tips. I cannot stand to have my nails long at all. I file them down almost every day. I also strum without a pick using the finger tips. I do have little caluses from the steel strings on my thumb, index and middle finger, which adds a bit to the volume. I see by reading the thread that I am not alone with this method. I guess I just wonder how acceptable this method is or if it really makes much difference one way or the other.

On my left hand, meaning the chord hand?

I cut mine alllllll the way down cause they get in the way x)

As for your right hand, that's all up to you, but that's how my pointer looks too. I let everything on my right hand grow out longer, but I chop off my pinky nail.

On my left hand... I cut mine all the way down...As for your right hand, that's all up to you...QUOTE]
Of course, there's the social stigma of having hands with non-symmetric nails, and having to constantly explain to neophytes why one hand is shorn differently.

I can't stand having long nails, so I always trim them way down. I hate the feeling of a nail getting stuck a bit while strumming, and I fingerpick with my fingertips.

Top Bottom