PDA

View Full Version : Are my nails the correct length?

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 03:52 AM
How far down do you file the nails on your left hand? Here are mine so far:

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/lefthandnails.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/lefthandback.jpg

And do you have a nail on your pointer finger for strumming on the right hand? I can't seem to do an upstroke very well....should it be shorter?

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/strumpointer1.jpg

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z50/DylanAngel2001/strumpointerback.jpg

Thank you for the help!

mm stan
06-24-2011, 04:09 AM
Everyone is different...I like mine 3-4 times longer....I guess it is personal preference...depends if you are picking or strumming..
Little longer for me for strumming and shorter for picking for a better and cleaner attack..

haolejohn
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
Everyone is different...I like mine 3-4 times longer....I guess it is personal preference...

and i chew mine...It is a personal preferance. some like nails...some don't.

cheekmeat
06-24-2011, 04:10 AM
This really all has to do with what you like. I cut my left hand nails way down, because I find it distracting when they touch the fretboard.

I file my right hand index, naughty and ring finger nails to just past the end of the finger tip. It lets me use them for fingerpicking, strumming, whatever. I used to wear them longer, but I kept breaking them right before shows, so I changed up.

haolejohn
06-24-2011, 04:11 AM
where are you at? Hot south USA. In the SE?

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 04:13 AM
where are you at? Hot south USA. In the SE?

Yep! Carolina girl. :)

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 04:14 AM
This really all has to do with what you like. I cut my left hand nails way down, because I find it distracting when they touch the fretboard.

I file my right hand index, naughty and ring finger nails to just past the end of the finger tip. It lets me use them for fingerpicking, strumming, whatever. I used to wear them longer, but I kept breaking them right before shows, so I changed up.

Well, I'm just strumming now. I'm just wondering if I file it down more if it will help with my upstroke ya know?

haolejohn
06-24-2011, 04:16 AM
Yep! Carolina girl. :)

north or south?
In charolette there is a monthly jam that Mims Ukes host and if you are in the western carolina mountains, I can point you in the direction of some ukers as well.

cheekmeat
06-24-2011, 04:18 AM
Well, I'm just strumming now. I'm just wondering if I file it down more if it will help with my upstroke ya know?

It might. Give it a whirl. It'll grow back if you don't like it. :)

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 04:31 AM
It might. Give it a whirl. It'll grow back if you don't like it. :)

Haha true! :D

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 04:32 AM
north or south?
In charolette there is a monthly jam that Mims Ukes host and if you are in the western carolina mountains, I can point you in the direction of some ukers as well.

I'm in South...about 1.5 hrs from Mim's I'd say. I want to definitely go visit her sometime. I tried to get my uke from her, but she was out of Aquilas. :( I'd rather wait until I know how to play a few things well before making the trips anyways...so I can try out some other ukes hehe. This is going to be so bad for my wallet!

Manalishi
06-24-2011, 05:37 AM
As a right handed player (Finger with LEFT hand)
I keep mine very short,don't want any nail touching
the fingerboard! Aside from wearing out the strings
quicker it CAN actually mark up your fretboard.
Strumming hand a fraction longer,JUST over the
end of my fingers,no more.
And as an ex guitarist who never used a pick,thats
how I have always done it!

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 07:23 AM
As a right handed player (Finger with LEFT hand)
I keep mine very short,don't want any nail touching
the fingerboard! Aside from wearing out the strings
quicker it CAN actually mark up your fretboard.
Strumming hand a fraction longer,JUST over the
end of my fingers,no more.
And as an ex guitarist who never used a pick,thats
how I have always done it!

Got it...so mine need to probably be shortened a bit more although I don't know how much shorter I can go on my left hand without my fingers hurting. I guess cause I grew my nails out for so long they don't want to recede back. Thanks!

ichadwick
06-24-2011, 08:07 AM
I trim mine to the quick. Nada sticking up. I find it is easier to play, to chord, hold a pick, fingerpick and type with short nails. I don't like the harsh sound a nail always imparts to the string, either. I use my fingertips to better control the sound. Cleaner this way, too. When I want the brash sound, I use a pick.

SunnyUke
06-24-2011, 08:20 AM
I trim mine to the quick. Nada sticking up. I find it is easier to play, to chord, hold a pick, fingerpick and type with short nails. I don't like the harsh sound a nail always imparts to the string, either. I use my fingertips to better control the sound. Cleaner this way, too. When I want the brash sound, I use a pick.

Thanks! I like your site too....your reviews will come in handy when I go to get another uke. :)

deadpool
06-24-2011, 11:23 AM
Not to highjack the thread, but well............... As a guitar finger picker (mainly steel string) and new uke player, I mainly pick with the "meat" of my finger tips. I cannot stand to have my nails long at all. I file them down almost every day. I also strum without a pick using the finger tips. I do have little caluses from the steel strings on my thumb, index and middle finger, which adds a bit to the volume. I see by reading the thread that I am not alone with this method. I guess I just wonder how acceptable this method is or if it really makes much difference one way or the other.

MisoHappy
06-24-2011, 01:02 PM
On my left hand, meaning the chord hand?

I cut mine alllllll the way down cause they get in the way x)

As for your right hand, that's all up to you, but that's how my pointer looks too. I let everything on my right hand grow out longer, but I chop off my pinky nail.

ichadwick
06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Thanks! I like your site too....your reviews will come in handy when I go to get another uke. :)

Thanks for the kind words.

ichadwick
06-26-2011, 12:53 PM
[QUOTE=MisoHappy;711332]On my left hand... I cut mine all the way down...As for your right hand, that's all up to you...QUOTE]
Of course, there's the social stigma of having hands with non-symmetric nails, and having to constantly explain to neophytes why one hand is shorn differently.

zac987
06-26-2011, 01:30 PM
I can't stand having long nails, so I always trim them way down. I hate the feeling of a nail getting stuck a bit while strumming, and I fingerpick with my fingertips.

itsme
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
Sunny, you look like you have pretty long nail beds. Mine are fairly short and those on the left (fretting) hand are noticeably shorter than on the right. Maybe it's from years of guitar playing. I chop them down to nothing and they can actually grow quite a bit before they end up being a nuisance on the fretboard.

RH thumbnail is ~4mm, others are ~3mm.

SunnyUke
06-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Sunny, you look like you have pretty long nail beds. Mine are fairly short and those on the left (fretting) hand are noticeably shorter than on the right. Maybe it's from years of guitar playing. I chop them down to nothing and they can actually grow quite a bit before they end up being a nuisance on the fretboard.

RH thumbnail is ~4mm, others are ~3mm.

I do have very long nailbeds, and I think that due to the years I spent growing mine out for vanity purposes they are exceptionally hard to "cut-back" without hurting myself. I'm hoping the more I file them down the shorter they will remain in subsequent times. I did file down that right hand strumming pointer, and it seemed to help some. I may file it on down to see what happens lol. :)

Ataraxia
06-30-2011, 06:28 AM

Same here! So many players talk about how important fingernail length is, IMHO you're better off trimming them down. The tones produced by direct contact of the fingers is a much more pure and musical tone. I trim all of my nails super low and then file them as well lol. I've played guitar for a long time and never needed them there either. Good riddance!