Little fret wire

David Newton

Reaction score
Calling builders...

I have a bundle of very old fret wire, probably old-timey mandolin / ukulele wire that is .045" wide x .030" high (proud).
Nickel-silver, nice sharp tangs.
It is slightly wider than Old Martin Uke bar frets.

I can't for the life of me remember where I got it, maybe I found it at some old music store and they gave it to me?

I've used it for a few ukes in the past, but don't have a sense of what the modern, experienced player "wants" in terms of fret wire on Soprano / Concert scale instruments.

What do you think?

OK pics

uke%20frets%201.jpg

uke%20frets%202.jpg

uke%20frets%203.jpg

This is so close to 0764, I'm going to make it my standard until I run out or if someone has another preference.
Thanks!

I don't really consider .030" and .037" as being close., with about 20% spread between the two. Fret wire that is too low can be uncomfortable to play and hard to make good string-to-fret contact. Remember you're going to lose a couple of mil after fret dressing. Fret wire is cheap; I personally wouldn't take the chance. Like everyone else here I use #0764.

3%20frets.JPG

The "great one" used to say "trust, but verify" so I ran up a little test strip.
First on the left is 0764
middle is my regular guitar wire 0148
on the right is my unknown number wire
I used my micrometer dial indicator, several passes on each one.
I set each fret in with my standard procedure, chamfered the slot corners, etc. tried as best I could to make a good trial.
Surprise? my 0764, which I use on mandolins, shows .028" proud.

I just measured a fret board fretted with #0764. Using a fret press and measuring with a digital micrometer the frets stand between .038" and .040" higher than the wood surrounding it. Technique probably has something to do with the varied results.

I suppose the height of a run of frets could vary, but I doubt that much.
I checked again, as I was surprised at my results.
I used a hard piece of ebony to keep from pushing in.
I can't rule out that wire was not 0764, the width was spot on, and I either buy from Stewmac or LMII, and there isn't another wire # that is even close to those dimensions.
I'll save the little test and run it again next time I buy wire.

Up to date "Calibration certificates" required for measuring devices please :)
I guess the narrower the wire.. the more it will distort the material it sits in.

This has got me interested in Fretwire Manufacture..This is one of companies that make it ..http://eastm.en.ec21.com/

Product Specification/Models 1..112 x.055(width x height) 2..096 x.047( ) 3..106 x.036( ) 4..080 x.043( ) 5..103 x.046 ( ) plus many more, their catalogue shows 24 sizes

Last edited:
Is that considered small? I am looking for something small, or suggestions, and/or scrap pieces for my project of building a bunch of mini ukes (10" total length, 6.5" scale). I am not sure what fret wire I should use or look for for these.. So, scraps of various sizes to compare is what I am hoping for...

Is that considered small? I am looking for something small, or suggestions, and/or scrap pieces for my project of building a bunch of mini ukes (10" total length, 6.5" scale). I am not sure what fret wire I should use or look for for these.. So, scraps of various sizes to compare is what I am hoping for...
If i was making miniature ukes like that ( model making) I would make the frets out of aluminium or brass welding/brazing wire flattened with a hammer to fit the saw cuts...the smallest mandolin wire would look far too big on that scale.

Top Bottom