Once again to Honolulu!!!

Honu

Reaction score
I am packed and ready to go. I will be spending the next 9 days (From 6/25 - 7/4) in Honolulu. I'm really excited to spend sometime in paradise. This isn't my first trip... I've been a couple of times and I have asked all of you helpful people for advice. So in the hopes of something new, anything unique happening in Oahu over the next few days?

Tourist-wise, I've done the typical places. Luau's, Polynesian center, snorkeling at Hanauma, catamaran rides, toured the palace, the Memorial, ATV rides at the Ranch.

Ukulele-wise, I've done the three factory tours and have gone to the major Ukulele shops both in Honolulu and the surrounding cities. I have even checked out the Ukulele vendors at Aloha Stadium.

Don't get me wrong. There are a ton of places I want to go back to and enjoy but I was hoping to spend a day doing something new. So... any advice?

Maybe head to the North shore, hang out and hit up the Shrimp trucks! Or hop a quick flight to Maui...Maui no ka oi....tons to do there then quick flight back to Honolulu. :cool:

Ukulele Puapua is a must see. I hear the Koaloha factory is pretty cool too, but I haven't been myself.

Aloha Honu,
Will be there myself next month. How about local grinds; Gulick Deli for lunch, Leonard's Bakery for malasadas, alot of shaved ice places but don't know the names....case in point....lots of ONO food. Oh, don't forget Zippys for anytime you get hungry.
Round Top Drive for scenic view of Waikiki and downtown area, hike up Diamond Head, the Heiau in Aiea, Bishop Museum...a must see, hike into Waimea Falls, can't think of anything else right now, but have fun...............BO..............

Definitely hit up the food joints... I got back recently and think I had a different loco moco every day. Kind of a quest for the holy grail after a while. Some of my fav spots were Rainbow Drive-in, Nico's Pier 38 (I think there's even ukulele music occasionally), and if you're with a significant other, then try Michel's at Colony Surf. Old school vibe, excellent service and fantastic location.

Since you've done the factories, definitely hit up the flea market at Aloha Stadium. Might find a gem. And the North Shore suggestion is awesome.

Oh, and bring me back a Kamaka Concert. Nothing fancy. :)

That would be cool..hanging out at the North Shore, playing your uke, eating some shrimp and a nice cold beverage!!

Aloha Honu,
Alot of fun places to go.....for entertainment..Kanikapila Grill in waikiki ...Reef Hotel...one of the best hawaiian music on the rock...

You can't beat the Hawaiian music, hula, pupus, and drinks at sunset at The House Without A Key at the Halekulani.

I'd also recommend Chai's Island Bistro for food and great musical entertainment. Some of my favorite eating places (in addition to some already mentioned): Side Street Inn, Alan Wong's, Helena's Hawaiian, Little Village Noodle Shop, Pah Ke's (in Kaneohe), Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. Also check out the Saturday morning farmers market at Kapiolani Community College. Lots of great prepared foods there.

Thanks for the quick replies, I forgot to mention that half of my days usually involve being in the Northshore.

There are some places to eat suggested that I will definitely have to try.

Some of the ideas for Hawaiian music sounds intriguing too.

If you stay North Shore, then go to Ted's Bakery for breakfast or plate lunch and dessert, go to Ola at Turtle Bay for a Li Hing Mui Margarita and pretty view, and Haleiwa Joe's for the best ceviche!

I'd suggest heading up to Waimea Valley. It used to be an Audubon garden, but the state has it now and they're trying to make it more of a cultural center. I was on Oahu last month but didn't have the opportunity to head up there. Here's the web address: http://www.waimeavalley.net/

Everyone has given you some good locales and places to visit but here is one more, Malaikahana beach park over on the north shore just before Kahuku. Lonliest and most beautiful beach around. Oh, and one more food thought to Hopkid's list, don't miss the Koa Pancake house in Kaneohe... falldown broke da mout great. Little bitty place but worth it if your looking for a breakfast to start your journey!!! Aloha!!

Since the subject of food is often mentioned, try the local bakeries . . . bread pudding, chocolate éclairs, butter rolls and stuff li'dat. Also Dee Lite Bakery for some of their exotic cakes and pies. In the same area, Libby Manapua . . .

If you stay North Shore, then go to Ted's Bakery for breakfast or plate lunch and dessert, go to Ola at Turtle Bay for a Li Hing Mui Margarita and pretty view, and Haleiwa Joe's for the best ceviche!

Second for Ted's. Their shrimp plate lunch rocks because they remove the shells unlike the trucks AND you get your choice of pie as well. Gotta go for the chocolate haupia cream pie!

Aloha Honu,
Will be there myself next month. How about local grinds; Gulick Deli for lunch, Leonard's Bakery for malasadas, alot of shaved ice places but don't know the names....case in point....lots of ONO food. Oh, don't forget Zippys for anytime you get hungry.
Round Top Drive for scenic view of Waikiki and downtown area, hike up Diamond Head, the Heiau in Aiea, Bishop Museum...a must see, hike into Waimea Falls, can't think of anything else right now, but have fun...............BO..............

+1 for bishop museum which also has some entertainment at times on the lawn

You can't beat the Hawaiian music, hula, pupus, and drinks at sunset at The House Without A Key at the Halekulani.

I'd also recommend Chai's Island Bistro for food and great musical entertainment. Some of my favorite eating places (in addition to some already mentioned): Side Street Inn, Alan Wong's, Helena's Hawaiian, Little Village Noodle Shop, Pah Ke's (in Kaneohe), Tonkatsu Ginza Bairin. Also check out the Saturday morning farmers market at Kapiolani Community College. Lots of great prepared foods there.

Chai's is nice but........ Bring your wallet

Leave the madness of Waikiki behind, take a walk along the Ala Wai canal to Kapahulu, walk up Kapahulu to buy an aloha shirt at Bailey's, have lunch at Irifune or Ono Hawaiian Food, get shave ice at Waiola, and fondle ukuleles at Goodguys.

Follow this with an hour or two people-watching on the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian, and a drink at House Without a Key.

Yep, that just about describes my perfect day :)

Chai's is nice but........ Bring your wallet

Gotta admit that it is a bit pricey and the food is good but not great. But they do have some top notch entertainment and no cover charge. Just go in, sit at the bar and get a drink and you can be up close and personal with the Brothers Cazeimero, Na Palapalai, and others.

Leave the madness of Waikiki behind, take a walk along the Ala Wai canal to Kapahulu, walk up Kapahulu to buy an aloha shirt at Bailey's, have lunch at Irifune or Ono Hawaiian Food, get shave ice at Waiola, and fondle ukuleles at Goodguys.

Follow this with an hour or two people-watching on the beach in front of the Royal Hawaiian, and a drink at House Without a Key.

Yep, that just about describes my perfect day :)

Ditto. I need to try Irifune the next time I'm there as I always hear good things about it.

Top Bottom