Does MGM still do setups?

GORILLA

Reaction score
I'm a guitar player looking to venture into playing some Ukulele. I have been doing research about ukuleles that I'm looking to buy, and I see a lot of people say that getting your uke setup from MGM is the way to go. Does MGM still do setups? Sell online?

Thanks

I don't think Michael has gone back to seeing anything online. He is looking much better and there are occasional Facebook posts. You might try Mim's Ukes as she does set all her ukes up. I believe Uke Republic does as well.

Also, don't forget Hawaiian Music Supply

From what I read, Hawaii Music Supply (HMS) hired Music Guy Mic's (MGM) setup guy (Joel) after MGM stopped doing business earlier this year.

http://theukulelereview.com/2011/05/07/ukulele-setup/

You can also go to Hawaii and buy a uke directly from one of the four K companies and I'm sure they will set it up the way you want it. But again, that's what I read.

What the others said, plus, Mainland ukes are always set up nicely, too. If you order direct from Mike, you can tell him if you'd like the action at the bridge a little lower than usual, or what have you.

+1 for Hawaii music supply ,Got an inexpensive KA s from them and it was excellent, That said I have a local guitar shop here that does a lot of custom work and builds. I asked them to do my OU6 . Scott had never done one before but it came out perfect, so local works.

You can just call Mike , he still is selling as I bought a Tangi mini from him last week. There is a thread going with all his info.

musicguymic@aol.com 808-927-7297

Last edited:
"You can just call Mike , he still is selling as I bought a Tangi mini from him last week. There is a thread going with all his info."

And that thread is?

Last edited:
Mike- I have never met ya...and never purchased directly from you, but you are my muse. I have two ukes you did and if you saw the degree to which I picked them apart (science teacher...even got out the calipers), and the diligence with which I read every archived post online to figure out how to make my others play like yours, you would laugh. They do now, but it took me 9 months.
Mahalo...thoughts and prayers, I have learned so much from you in this crazy rounda-bout way and never got a chance to say thanks. So glad you are back. Someday I hope to hit the Islands with a wonky Uke and watch what you do to complete the journey.
Cheers
Dave

Aloha everyone. yes ebay store has been history but yes I still sell every ukr brand available thats I fell is worthy. I have been very ill from my recent liver failure but actually look great since i lost about 60 pounds.... one of these days i will do a bwfore and after photo neverlesss i have full invemtory and will get a real website up as soon as i can.. Until then you can order anuything from a makala or a custom kanilea koaloha or any local makers uke from me. As for ebay I am done they are now charging 14% final value fees and with listing fees and paypal want 20% of your hard earned money... i say screw that call me pr email and you will not get a better setup ukulele with alll the accessories you need at a reasonable price.. yes the volume and reality of free true setups has ended as my accountant did a cost analyisis and we were virtually giving the ukes away at no profit with a REAL setup. My phone and email are listed below.....There is also a short 1 page website developing into a full blown huge ukulele mecca of any brand you want in the world....with setup.. aloha and thanks for all the lovely messages and emails of concern for my health Aloha and mahalo from kaneohe hawaii MGM

Aloha Mike,
That is great news to hear and you sound like you have gotten your business and health back, and dropped ebay and paypal....congratulations..whaaaa??? 60 pounds lighter??? wea's the pic's...we are waiting...MM Stan

yes i got so big at one poimt Barrry from compass rose ukuele said i am MGM grand....now i am more like MGM mini me lol and yes i see the typos but refuse to still edit ha ha

Glad to see ya back at it Mike. Got the mini the other day. Been loving it..

So glad to hear that you are doing better Michael. We are still enjoying the Kala travel ukes that you sent to us last summer. We think of you every time that we play them, which is just about daily.

That's a tough way to lose weight but I sure am glad to see you back. You've definitely been missed!

John

Top Bottom