How did you get started on the 'ukulele?

PoiDog

Reaction score
I always wonder what it was that first spurred people on to pick up an instrument and want to learn to play it. Guitars are pretty easy - the allure of being (or pretending to be) a Rock Star! But other instruments seem a bit less obvious.

So I figured I'd ask: What got you interested in the 'ukulele?

For me the answer is probably needlessly complicated. Back in the mid-90's I was living on Oahu when my wife got a gig with the English Lit dept at UH. We stayed with some of her extended family, and one of her Jichans had a home-built 'ukulele he'd play when we'd get together for some pau hanas and to talk story. He taught me a few simple chords on the thing, and I kind of fiddled around for a while, getting comfortable with it and learning some strums, but that was about it.

After a few years, we had to move back to LA, and I decided I'd get an 'ukulele for my dad, thinking he'd enjoy it as he had just retired. It was a really low-end model, but since I wasn't sure if he'd like it, I figured better to spend less than more.

Turns out he didn't like it, and just tossed the uke into a closet.

Fast-forward to mid-April of this year, when my dad is cleaning out his junk, spots the uke, and asks if I know of anyone who would want it. Seeing it reminded me of da kine afternoons, so I took it. It was too small and really cheap, but I mucked with it for long enough to decide to buy something a bit better and to get serious. Haven't looked back (so far), and have been kicking myself for the last two months about why I didn't keep playing all them years back when I had a genuine teacher willing to give me lessons and pointers during balmy Honolulu afternoons, with a lot of beer, spam musubi, and other ono grinds.

Anyway, I plan on handing off my little starter uke to my 7-year old nephew with offers of helping him get some basics, to try and pass it on. Hopefully his story will start, "One day my uncle gave me this 'ukulele and taught me a few chords ..."

So, anyone else? How, why, and when did you decide to start?

I've played guitar for a long time, but mostly I just used it for accompaniment. I had always considered ukes kind of a novelty instrument, but over the last year or so, I've come across so many ukulele covers on Youtube that sounded amazing. Whether it was Jake Shimabukuro, or just some kid in their kitchen rocking out a Lady Gaga tune, it's just a great-sounding instrument that doesn't take itself too seriously and has an amazing ability to generate smiles.

My Dad gave me his Pre-war Martin O on my 10th birthday nearly 60 years ago. Only got serious within the past year. Loving going to my meetup group and playing ukewith my son. Picked up a few more.

Aloha,
Born and raised in Honolulu, it was almost a given that us kids would learn the uke, much like horses to kids in Texas or Montana. Started at 8 years old, learning from other kids in the neighborhood, we never knew the names of the chords, but learned the finger positions. I grew up in Kalihi Valley Housing where there was "uku pilla"(lots of) kids and we all sat together teaching and learning off each other. Week ends were especially fun as the adults would have their normal "beer parties" with lots of singing with ukuleles and guitars. Us kids would watch and learn....magical nights....
Dabbled off and on with the uke for many years. Then when I took my grand-daughter to a musicstore to purchase a saxaphone reed, I seen a display of ukes in the corner. Lanikai and Kala were unknown to me. I picked up a Kala concert and started playing. All that I learned some 50 years ago came back and I was hooked. Bought several ukes since then, got 2 of my daughters, 5 of my grandkids, a female friend and her 3 sons, and a son-inlaw all involved. Bought 13 entry level uke for x-mas gifts. Teaching them is a joy for me, learning the names of the chords is a job for me, but having the time of my life..................................BO............................

I'm a BIG Pearl Jam fan so after "Soon Forget" from Pearl Jam's Binaural record (2000), and a bootleg I found of a show Eddie Vedder did in 2002 I bought a CHEAP uke (soprano or concert, not sure which). I played that thing until I couldn't play it anymore. With the Ukulele Songs record, many of which were on that bootleg, I decided to buy a nice(r) tenor and really learn to play. I play guitar which has helped, but I don't want to treat this as a miniature guitar. I've spent the week learning "Tears in Heaven" and "Something" thanks to YouTube and UU.

ps, I want to point out that Ukulele Underground is one of the friendliest online communities I've ever been a part of. Everyone is respectful and seems to genuinely care for others on the board. The attitude here is infectious and encouraging, so good on ya!

grace and peace,
sam

I started about a year ago. The reason I started to play was I thought it would be nice to have something I could accompany myself with while I sang. I find it quite hard to sing in front of others and never stuck with the guitar for very long although I played a while when I was younger. so I thought maybe the uke might be an idea. I always enjoyed singing so that was part of it but also I had recently been to a family gathering and the inevitable "sing song" came along. I am Irish and this is so common at parties or at a "lock-in" in at a bar sometimes. Anyway, every time this happens I get this horrible and overwhelming feeling of dread and go completely blank on what song/poem I could do! Its pretty much obligatory so it usually ends in me mumbling something, poem or song, while steadily going redder and redder.... Its a little crippling at times to be honest. So I thought if I got a uke, learnt a few basic songs then i could get through this uncomfortable ordeal with a minimum of stress and go back to enjoying the other more confident performers!! That was really it, the basic plan..... BUT, I soon found, once I had learnt those few basic songs I found I really enjoyed it and loved learning new songs to sing. I found that the uke could actually be quite a wonderful instrument and really started to enjoy playing and practised whenever I could.
The funny thing is that a family gathering with the obligatory sing song has not come along but, slowly but surely, I have got out of my bedroom/living room and begun to sing for others and have even begun to really enjoy it! I've even found I am not a terrible singer, I'd been told I could sing before but never totally believed it. So now I don't have to worry about the scary sing song coming up anymore, but I have also gotten alot more out of it than that. I discovered the uke, and have got huge pleasure out of exploring my voice and the uke itself. I've even started looking into playing and singing with others and am starting a little uke group with friends i would not have met if it wasn't for my little Soprano "Powell". My only regret is that i didn't start earlier, but hey at 25 theres plenty of time to learn and improve.
Its been a hugely positive event in my life.

Cheers -F

My Daughter wanted an ukelele last Christmas. In the process of buying one, I discovered this amazing world and was totally smitten. And now I'm a part of it.

I wanted to make my own music, if the power and batteries went dead, then I could amuse myself with music. I heard a JAKE S cd playing in a gift shop and decided togive uke a chance. I hoped 4 strings would be easier than guitar which I found hard to learn. I was right, and I have been playing for my enjoyment for about 4 years.

I got started playing uke because I always grew up playing piano and wanted something more portable to take everywhere with me. My mom sings and plays guitar, and I've always loved singing but been intimidated by guitars. The ukulele seemed like a natural choice for me. I also love Hawaiian culture (have had family over there for over 20 years) and I also love 1920s-1930s music and culture. The uke has been integral for both of those styles, so it quickly became the instrument for me. :D

I'd played guitar, bass and drums since the 80s. I wanted a portable instrument for trips to the river, the beach, hikes, etc. I mentioned this a couple times to friend, and that Christmas he gave me my first ukulele! It was love at first strum.

Saw Charlieissocoollike using one on many of his videos. So i picked one up for a novelty and then found out that people like aldrine and jake do solo instrumentals on the uke. And since i cant sing this really inspired me to play.

Jack Johnson made me do it. I just wanted to play Breakdown. Now I have a few ukes and the rest might be familiar to you guys and girls.

I always loved the 1920's. (No idea whay, I was born in 1957.) I played tuba, trombone, harmonica and recorder, all fairly seriously in my teens/early 20's. My grandfather gave me his tenor banjo and I learned to play that, it worked perfectly with my 1920's interest. But those big stiff strings tuned in fifths were never easy for me. My wife had twins, then a third, and I was too busy to practice the banjo. Broke my pinky on my fretting hand playing basketball and then broke the ring finger on the same hand working on a car. Tried to go back to the tenor banjo when the kids got older but those two fingers were not up to it.

I researched instruments and learned that the uke was great for 1920's tunes and the strings were easier to fret than the ones on a tenor banjo. So I bought a uke. Now I tune the tenor banjo like a baritine uke with light gauge guitar strings, but I play the ukes a lot more.

I was looking for a small instrument that I could take around with me. I first walked into a music store looking for a charango. They are not to be had anywhere in Texas! I saw a ukulele, picked it up and was hooked!
Ernest

First time around, I started playing when I was 7 years old and wanted to learn guitar, but I was really small for my age. Back in those days guitars sized for really small kids weren't very common, so someone suggested ukulele and that's what I ended up with. I didn't study formally, just learned bits and pieces from my dad. Eventually I became an oh-so-jaded teenager and lost interest.

Fast forward to around 10 years ago when I saw Janet Klein play for the first time. It was a lightbulb moment: I love all that old music, why am I not playing ukulele? Took me another 8 years or so to actually *get* one and start playing it. And I've played every single day, ever since, save for one day a couple months back when I was in the hospital and didn't think my uke would be welcome there :)

I always wanted to be a musician, but could never really "get" the piano or the guitar.

I had to observe a child in a daycare setting a few months ago and watched a guy lead a Music Together class with a tiny guitar. He played all the songs I had previously heard on guitar. When I asked him why his guitar was so small, he filled me in. (Boy, was that embarrasing to type.) A few months of research later, I've found my a-ha musical moment. Practicing every night for the past month and it couldn't feel less like work.

i played guitar years...years ago...used to play every friday night for a couple of years at a songwriters bar in dallas, being on stage playing your own original music always gave me the willies! had to have liquid courage to be in front of an audience! haven't really played in 20 years or so...came across julia nunes playing the uke. never knew! that was last june...got my first uke last july, found UU in september...have never looked back! seemed safe and fun to have a youtube channel...not too much "live" pressure....though i now, really strive to know and learn more, but still, at heart i am just a glorified strummer..and the voice doesn't always want to cooperate! i am hooked! and it's fun!

I became hopelessly in love with the ukulele about 10 years ago when a very dear friend of mine (who has recently passed away) pulled out a Kamaka concert uke that he had stashed away. He had purchased it in Hawaii 20 years ago while on a holiday. It was beautiful and sounded even better when he played it! After that, I discovered that George Harrison had been a wonderful ukulele supporter, and then I heard Jake Shimabukuro on YouTube, and then I discovered James Hill. I was sunk. Now I can't seem to stop buying the darn things!

Received a Keilani Koa Soprano matte finish ukulele and the Treasury of Ukulele Chords by Roy Sakuma as a gift from my good friend Nacho when he returned from Hawaii in the early 2000's and have had a ukulele in my hands every day since. I played bass guitar in many bands since I was 12 years old and thought I'd never be able to play an instrument and sing until I started strumming my uke. I still have great difficulty playing bass and singing unless it's a very simple bass line. Might have something to do with being strictly left handed except for playing music or just the syncopated rhythms when playing bass. Thoughts?

Top Bottom