PDA

View Full Version : How not to pack a ukulele for shipping

strumsilly
06-24-2011, 10:33 AM
This is a good reason not to buy off evilbay. needless to say I would like to return this vintage Favilla and have emailed seller. what if they won't take it back? anybody need kindling?

wickedwahine11
06-24-2011, 10:48 AM
Ouch! My sympathies...did you pay by Paypal?

ItsMrPitchy
06-24-2011, 11:05 AM
Oh no that is awful. If the seller is at all reasonable you should be getting your money back.

lovinforkful
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
And if they aren't reasonable.. file a claim with Paypal to get your money back. That's ridiculous! There weren't even any foam peanuts or something?

strumsilly
06-24-2011, 11:21 AM
paid with ppal, but they are no pal of mine. the last claim took forever to settle.

OldePhart
06-24-2011, 11:22 AM
It's amazing how many people in this world are just plain stupid. There's no other way to say it. When you can't be bothered to find a box that a uke will fit in with some packing (crumpled newspaper if nothing else) you shouldn't even be offering to sell stuff.

And, having worked in a grocery store many moons ago, I know that those big cardboard cases that tissue paper comes in are about the weakest form of corrugated cardboard to be found. They're just about strong enough to keep the packages of tissue from spontaneously avoiding each other - because tissue paper is light and pretty much damage proof.

If you don't get your money back, post negative feedback containing a link to those pictures...

John

ckellogg
06-24-2011, 11:24 AM
Contact ebay. Supposedly they will make it good? I dunno. What a bummer.

OldePhart
06-24-2011, 11:28 AM
paid with ppal, but they are no pal of mine. the last claim took forever to settle.

That's why I never keep a paypal balance and I always pay with a credit card via PayPal. A few years ago I had to make a claim - it was an obvious fraud case where an ebayer had sold stuff to dozens of people and then gone missing - closed the account when the negative feedback started rolling in. PayPal "investigated" for several weeks. They were doing nothing and wouldn't respond to my emails. Finally, I called my credit card company and explained the situation to them and they cancelled the charge. Miraculously, the very next day PayPal remembered that I exist and sent me a nasty gram complaining that I had reversed the charges on my card!

There's a good reason PayPal won't let you pay with a credit card if you have a positive PayPal balance, and why they push their own debit/credit card so hard. I wonder if anyone who has paid with a PayPal balance, eCheck, or PayPal card has ever gotten a refund? :(

John

SuzukHammer
06-24-2011, 11:46 AM
Good information OldPharte.

maclay
06-24-2011, 11:55 AM
That has to be the worst packing job I've ever seen.

NotsoGoodyet
06-24-2011, 11:56 AM
I'm know I am missing out on a lot of good stuff, but I never use paypal and have never purchased anything on ebay or craigslist.
Too many horror stories and I don't want to be one of them.
But I do keep getting emails from paypal stating that my account needs updating.
Yeah, right.

bdukes
06-24-2011, 12:18 PM
Sorry. We know you were looking forward to the baritone.

Even calling it a packing job is generous. Would have been safer putting stamps on the uke itself. At least the handlers would have known not to mangle.

Keep us up to date on settlement and who steps up- seller, paypal or ebay. Good luck.

bbycrts
06-24-2011, 12:26 PM
I have been with eBay since their first year in business. I opened a PayPal account shortly after they started up, too.

My feedback rating is now over 200...that's over 200 transactions both as buyer and seller.

I've had a total of ONE bad eBay experience - a scammer who sold product he didn't have and ran as someone else mentioned.

My PayPal account was hacked once - PayPal caught it immediately, reimbursed me immediately for the lost funds, and helped me re-secure my account.

The fees are getting a bit high, yes, but overall my experience with both organizations has been extremely positive. Both of the ukes I play currently were purchased using PayPal on eBay. Their cases, too.

Your Mileage definitely May Vary.

didgeridoo2
06-24-2011, 12:33 PM
Looks fine to me. ;)

Good luck making it right. And your thread title is perfect.

mds725
06-24-2011, 12:37 PM
That's why I never keep a paypal balance and I always pay with a credit card via PayPal. A few years ago I had to make a claim - it was an obvious fraud case where an ebayer had sold stuff to dozens of people and then gone missing - closed the account when the negative feedback started rolling in. PayPal "investigated" for several weeks. They were doing nothing and wouldn't respond to my emails. Finally, I called my credit card company and explained the situation to them and they cancelled the charge. Miraculously, the very next day PayPal remembered that I exist and sent me a nasty gram complaining that I had reversed the charges on my card!

I hope you told PayPal that you'd open a claim for them and look into it.

TCK
06-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh man- that is a shame. What a terrible job packing that up.
Hoping you will find another.

haolejohn
06-24-2011, 02:02 PM
It's amazing how many people in this world are just plain stupid. There's no other way to say it. When you can't be bothered to find a box that a uke will fit in with some packing (crumpled newspaper if nothing else) you shouldn't even be offering to sell stuff.

And, having worked in a grocery store many moons ago, I know that those big cardboard cases that tissue paper comes in are about the weakest form of corrugated cardboard to be found. They're just about strong enough to keep the packages of tissue from spontaneously avoiding each other - because tissue paper is light and pretty much damage proof.

If you don't get your money back, post negative feedback containing a link to those pictures...

John

I agree.

To OP, did you insure it?

DeVineGuitars
06-24-2011, 02:25 PM
That has to be the worst packing job I've ever seen.
I think a "packing job" implies there was packing used in the process.

patico
06-24-2011, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=bdukes;711299]. Would have been safer putting stamps on the uke itself. At least the handlers would have known not to mangle.
[QUOTE]

:agree:

mm stan
06-24-2011, 03:20 PM
file a claim with pay pal, postal service... or return it back to the seller...if they won't accept it back ....contact E-bay and file a complaint.....sorry for the bad news...hope the Koaloha comes soon...

strumsilly
06-24-2011, 03:34 PM
THANKS, THE Koaloha is with the factory getting repaired, thanks to Stans good advice. Hopefully it will be packed well!

lovinforkful
06-24-2011, 03:44 PM
OldePhart - I have! The claim process does take about 30 days but I received a full refund (same situation you're describing - person sold a bunch of items and never sent anything).

Teek
06-24-2011, 10:26 PM
Been here done this. As previously noted, start the claim process with PayPal and make sure you add links or upload images (which is better) to the process where prompted. IF you used a credit card on file with PayPal call immediately as previously noted and file a dispute on the amount. Look around on eBay's site map for where to report a seller for improper shipping, I think there used to be something like that, if that fails use item not as described, because it wasn't show in pieces. Maybe go to the item page, do some screen grabs of the description and also the photos for evidence.

eBay though I hate to defend it because I despise the owners and top management making the venue so punishing to sellers, was a primary way I made half my bills every month selling vintage images, antiques and collectibles for 10 years. Before they overhauled feedback I had close to 7K. They took out all my happy repeat customers for being 'duplicates". I still have over 5K. Two negs from assholes in all of those. Not everyone is a crook, though since China got big into it, and eBay took away the real checks and balances between sellers and buyers, it went to hell. Usually as many sellers are screwed over as buyers, maybe more. If you haven't been on the selling end, you would not be aware of this fact.

ukola
06-25-2011, 06:13 AM
I have had a few bad experiences with ebay, and one mishap with paypal. The problem is that some sellers try to upsell a screwed up uke desperately hoping they will get a lot of money for it. They provide bad photos, and don't describe the defects. I never had this problem with buying guitars off of ebay, but for some reason there are a lot of crooked fools selling ukes there. I received a crummy 30's Kumale that was wrapped super tight in shrink wrap and it was almost impossible to remove. I had to do a delicate operation with an exacto blade to free it. I've received other ukes that were oversold and packed like crap too. I never received a guitar like that. I don't do business with ebay anymore, and I've whittled my instrument collection down to just 3 ukes and 1 guitar. My compulsive buying and selling tendencies, I hope, are behind me. My paypal mishap occurred when someone misspelled my email when they were sending me money and thus sent it to the wrong person. Paypal worked it out in the end but it did take a while, and it made me sweat bullets in the mean time. I do still use it though. It's an easy way for people to pay if they buy from me off of one of the other boards, here, or fmm.

hapuna
06-25-2011, 06:40 AM
I have been with eBay since their first year in business. I opened a PayPal account shortly after they started up, too.

My feedback rating is now over 200...that's over 200 transactions both as buyer and seller.

I've had a total of ONE bad eBay experience - a scammer who sold product he didn't have and ran as someone else mentioned.

My PayPal account was hacked once - PayPal caught it immediately, reimbursed me immediately for the lost funds, and helped me re-secure my account.

The fees are getting a bit high, yes, but overall my experience with both organizations has been extremely positive. Both of the ukes I play currently were purchased using PayPal on eBay. Their cases, too.

Your Mileage definitely May Vary.

I could be wrong but I think that Ebay bought Paypal so now you are really dealing with one company.

mr moonlight
06-25-2011, 07:03 AM

There's a good reason PayPal won't let you pay with a credit card if you have a positive PayPal balance, and why they push their own debit/credit card so hard. I wonder if anyone who has paid with a PayPal balance, eCheck, or PayPal card has ever gotten a refund? :(

John

I've gotten a refund from Paypal before. Buyer didn't ship the item, so I sent in a complaint and a few weeks later Paypal credited my account. Interstingly enough, the seller after no communication for over a month and around a week after my refund, the seller shipped the item. I sent a couple messages to the seller asking if they wanted me to ship the item back or resend the cash, but I never got a response and eventually gave up.

strumsilly
06-26-2011, 12:16 PM
my email to seller:

The ukulele arrived in a timely manner. unfortunately it is not as described. the only damage you described besides the worn finish was top and back cracks. unfortunately the neck joint and side is cracked making the uke unusable without extensive repair. this was not disclosed, if it were I would not have purchased. This damage may have occured during shipping, but due to the way it was packed I doubt the shipper will cover it. I would like a refund . If I do not hear from you I will have to resort to other time consuming remedies at my disposal.
see attached pictures,

seller's response:
I just recieved ur message and i assure u the neck joint and the side
was not damage. In my listing i listed all fault. It was shipped of
the way it had been described. It must of happened in shipping. There
is insurance on the package. We can go fom there

My response:
no shipper is going to pay up with that packing job. you used a flimsy box with NO padding.Without a case this should have been double boxed. If you don't know how to ship correctly you should have taken it to a shipper or done some research and done it correctly. see attachment. and that's using a case . this had no case so even more care should have been taken. since you are not taking responsibility for this I am sending the uke back and filing a claim with paypall. you deal with your shipper. good luck

http://reviews.ebay.com/Guitar-Packing-De-Mystified_W0QQugidZ10000000000760588

should I send it back now? or wait.
Luckily I did pay with cc.

Doc_J
06-26-2011, 12:54 PM
I would call ebay first to see what they suggest/require. They have real people to there to answer questions/fix problems.
It might be best handled through ebay, not paypal (at least for now).

That seller should be ashamed.

Pete Howlett
06-26-2011, 01:17 PM
This is how I do it - never had a damaged ukulele yet :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyro-4rzUs

mds725
06-26-2011, 02:44 PM
If eBay advises you to continue communicating with the seller, I think it might help if you made it more clear in your email response that it's clear that any damage during shipping was caused by improper packaging. it sounds like you're dealing with someone for whom English is a second language. The more clear you can be, the better. If/when you communicate with eBay, be sure to let the person you speak with know that you believe the that if the item was damaged during shipping, the seller should take responsibility because he packed the item poorly. The eBay representative may otherwise advise you to pursue the matter with the shipping company, which is going to (as you noted) deny responsibility because of the bad packing. If you make it clear that the seller is at fault even though the damage may have occurred during shipping, eBay might be more helpful. And you should pack the ukulele well when you return it. Even though you have photos of how it arrived at your address, you don't want the seller to be arguing that it was damaged because you packed it poorly when you returned it. And for an extra layer of protection, do contact your credit card company. Good luck.

strumsilly
07-12-2011, 10:52 AM
Ebay resolved the claim in my favor and said they will credit my paypal when they receive confirmation that uke has arrived back to seller. they even sent me a prepaid shipping label and a letter of apology. so their buyer protection worked for me.

joeybug
07-12-2011, 11:34 AM
Ebay resolved the claim in my favor and said they will credit my paypal when they receive confirmation that uke has arrived back to seller. they even sent me a prepaid shipping label and a letter of apology. so their buyer protection worked for me.

Glad to hear that! That was a really bad shipping job!

marymac
07-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Excellent. My experiences with both Paypal and eBay have been great over the years so I'm glad they came through for you. Maybe you can buy another Favilla baritone now that you have your funds back...

strumsilly
07-12-2011, 03:13 PM
ALREADY BOUGHT A hARMONY BARITONE , NEEDS SOME WORK THOUGH, also bought some of those sc linear flats to try.

Ukuleleblues
07-13-2011, 12:36 PM
I bought a camp style banjo uke and it was packed like that it arrived with a neck broken in two. It was single boxed and wrapped in plastic. I had it insured, shipped USPostal Service. After me have tp threaten to sue the Postal inspector in charge of shipping claims in small claims court (it was the only way I could get him to call me back). He laughed and said they don't cover it if it was packed improperly. He said "I deny those ebay claims all the time on guitars and he laughed again. To make a long story short I never ship USPostal Service (I have a friend that worked there and he said folks used to drop kick packages marked fragile for fun. I always ask that it be double boxed with packing between the 1st and second box. I offer to pay more for that if needed. If they baulk I don't buy. I was luckly able to fix the neck as it was a clean break on the grain. My condolences.

Nickie
07-13-2011, 07:12 PM
Pete, I was really impressed with your video. If I ever need to pack a ukulele, that's how I'm going! I'm always half scared it's gonna get damaged when I take it out of my home!

-SRS-45-
07-14-2011, 12:44 AM
I never get over the stupidy of sellers on ebay, I've had glasses sent in a weak box and one piece of bubble wrap around them, I've had arrows sent with no protection so the fletchings were bent and the points were really unsafe.... it drives me nuts the amount of damaged stuff I get sent thats come from ebay.

That said I've always wrapped my stuff well I put on there, a bit of common sense is all it needs.

ichadwick
07-14-2011, 12:54 AM
Nothing inside? That's criminal! I spent 11 years packing goods and that is as stupid and lazy as it gets.

ichadwick
07-14-2011, 12:57 AM
This is how I do it - never had a damaged ukulele yet :)

Pretty good. I would have hired you for my UPS Store. That's how I packed goods there for 11 years, and how I pack my ukes for shipping from home. No crumpled newspaper!

Jnobianchi
07-14-2011, 04:40 AM
Good information OldPharte.

Yes indeed - I couldn't agree more. Zero or low balance in Paypal, and unless its a donation to a charity, I use a credit card.