Candlelight and Music

Sunny_0ne

Reaction score
We had a ferocious thunderstorm earlier this evening. It knocked our electricity out for quite a while.

So I lit candles, got out my uke, and started playing with fingerpicking patterns, and just got lost in the beauty of the candlelight and music.

The power is back on now. Still lots of distant thunder. But if it goes out again, I know how to entertain myself!

hi Sunny

sounds lovely. I think we get overwhelmed and over reliant on power sometimes. We lived in our placxe with no power for three years before we finally got it put on. The candlelight and gaslight were lovely.

I don't really have time to miss them though because we are subject to frequent power outages at our place (we are kind of 'remote'...in the bush) and we always have the candles and matches close at hand in every room. I agree, there's nothing quite like sitting around a fireplace and candlelight and strumming or picking away on a uke, singing a song. Very relaxing and gives you some time to appreciate the simple stuff, what really matters when the mod cons are stripped away.

Blessings mate. Thanks for the story. :)

Aloha Sunny1,
I agree...you can get caught in the moment with the candlelight and uke...takes the anxiety away and fills it with sweet music...sorry about the thunderstorms and outage.happy strummings..MM Stan

We lived in our placxe with no power for three years before we finally got it put on.
Three years? Seriously? What did you do for a refrigerator and other "modern conveniences"?

We live in an older neighborhood (our house was built in 1910) with ancient electrical infrastructure. Our power goes out umpteen times a year. I've gotten quite a bit of use out of a little battery powered book light that clips onto my music stand. :)

we didn't use a freezer. we had two eskis that we used to put milk, butter, eggs, vegies. In summer we'd buy some ice every time we went into the town to line the eskis. They would last for days at a time in there no probs. For heating we had (still have) a stove top on our old wood heater which we used to cook on. we used a generator to heat water in a big copper drum every couple of days for a bath and washing stuff. Candles and gas lamps and torches for light. Battery operated transistor radio and tape deck for music and touch with the outside world. Sure, we got sick of it but it was a lifestyle choice for awhile. Not for everyone.

edit: it was the imminent arrival of our first child in 1999 that convinced us we needed the power on.

Eugene, back in the early 90's we were hit by a winter storm and were without power for 5 days in an all-electric house. Since then I have had a propane cook stove so I can at least heat water and cook, no matter what happens. We also are rural and lose power fairly often in storms.

My little camper is solar (and propane) powered, though, so if power is out in the house, we have lights, fan, hot water, refrigerator and cooking facilities as long as the wind isn't blowing too badly. The uke fits nicely in a small camper, too! :)

MM Stan, the candlelight and music felt like being in a different dimension almost. Lovely! Another ukulele memory to cherish!

Last edited:
We had a ferocious thunderstorm earlier this evening. It knocked our electricity out for quite a while.

So I lit candles, got out my uke, and started playing with fingerpicking patterns, and just got lost in the beauty of the candlelight and music.

The power is back on now. Still lots of distant thunder. But if it goes out again, I know how to entertain myself!

Turn off the lights, unplug the clocks and keep fingerpickin'. Sounds like a wonderful evening.

Top Bottom