PDA

View Full Version : New OLD uke day!

Gmoney
06-24-2011, 03:51 PM
Several months ago I bought a gold label Kamaka Pineapple off of eBay for a pretty reasonable price. It was barely playable & had a number of significant issues. Multiple cracks in the top, a long crack in the back and a bridge that had been SCREWED on by some past owner. It looked like this:

After reading several threads here, I decided to send it off to Kamaka for repair. Am I GLAD I did! I just got it back from repair after only a couple of months... photos following in next post!

Gmoney
06-24-2011, 03:58 PM
And NOW for the NEW old uke!

They fixed the back crack (its undetectable now!) They completely replaced the top w/a one-piece of pretty koa. Replaced the bridge & added a new bone saddle. They also replaced the tuners (but sent me the originals if I want put them back on at some point. And completely refinished the entire uke w/a very light nitrocellulose finish (best I can tell). It plays & sounds SO lovely! I am SO pleased with the care & workmanship.

THANK you Kamaka!

mm stan
06-24-2011, 04:24 PM
Aloha Glenn,
She's a beauty after the make over...wow...thanks for sharing...Happy strummings..MM Stan

blender
06-24-2011, 04:30 PM
What a wonderful before/after comparison! I think it's a great thing to revive a classic instrument.

Gmoney
06-24-2011, 04:31 PM
Aloha Glenn,
She's a beauty after the make over...wow...thanks for sharing...Happy strummings..MM Stan

She really is! I didn't know what to expect except that it would HAVE to be better than what I started with. Some folks are fairly "religious" about refinishing a vintage uke, but the way I see it, it just got a good run at another 30+ years when one of my grandkids will inherit.

808boy
06-24-2011, 04:36 PM
Aloha Gmoney,
Congrats on your great looking uke.....enjoy it......................BO....................

RyanMFT
06-24-2011, 04:44 PM
WOW!!! That is really beautiful.....very happy for you! What a great thing to bring a uke like that back to life!

southcoastukes
06-24-2011, 06:19 PM
That pretty much defines "proper restoration" in my book. Should be a great player now. I've heard Kamaka practically gives these restorations away. Can you let us know?

Gmoney
06-24-2011, 07:01 PM
That pretty much defines "proper restoration" in my book. Should be a great player now. I've heard Kamaka practically gives these restorations away. Can you let us know?

I agree - they did a bang up job. I don't mind sharing the price, though some may think its too much to pay for "rebuilding" an old uke. They originally quoted me $275, but it came in at $295. I'm happy with it except that I don't really like the strings they put on it - they are dark, not Worth browns, maybe Hilo's or even GHS'? I might put a set of Martin 600's on it, but until I decide.... its fun to have "something old, something new..."

pdxuke
06-24-2011, 07:21 PM
G--

Fantastic. $295 well spent!

TCK
06-24-2011, 08:30 PM
That poor thing was rougher than a cob...and now she looks great! Money WELL spent for a fantastic Uke

Canoe Lady
06-24-2011, 08:40 PM
It's beautiful. Money well spent for more than a lifetime of music.

kenikas
06-24-2011, 08:59 PM
WOW! It looks great and really has me anxious, I have a Gold Label Pineapple at Kamaka too. I hope mine turns as nice, it needed pretty much the same work as yours.

dkcrown
06-25-2011, 12:20 AM
Very nice Gmoney. As others have said before me, monet well spent. I know you don't know the answer, but I wonder how the uke sounds now with a brand new soundboard compared to the original one? And now you will get to see how it opens up.

joeybug
06-25-2011, 12:44 AM
Very nice! They did a great job! And pleased to hear it only took a few months rather than the "year long" wait period I keep hearing about!

Happy New Old Uke Day!

Raygf
06-25-2011, 12:52 AM
WOW! What a tremendous testament to a caring, committed family business. Repairs $295, years of playing this restored instrument, PRICELESS. Would love to hear a sound sample. Congratulations!

cb56
06-25-2011, 01:30 AM
I agree. Money well spent. Enjoy!

Doc_J
06-25-2011, 01:47 AM
Thanks for sharing Glenn. It' always nice to see a happy ending.

Great looking uke! I'd love to hear how it sounds, even with the Kamaka (D'Addario) strings they put on it.

nelly
06-25-2011, 02:32 AM
very very nice looking uke....enjoy enjoy!

savagehenry
06-25-2011, 02:35 AM
They also replaced the tuners (but sent me the originals if I want put them back on at some point.
Did they also send you the bridge screws? Haha. Congratulations on the restoration, I know you love yourself some pineapples and his is a beauty.

Hippie Dribble
06-25-2011, 02:38 AM
wow Glenn. I know now if one of my Kamaka's needs a refurbish, I'll just send it back to Kamaka. What a fabulous job and like Ray said, a priceless return with several generations of playing ahead for your family too. So pleased for you mate. Thanks heaps for the before and afters. I'm still shaking my head in disbelief a bit, just amazing...so when's the next video???? :)

Gmoney
06-25-2011, 04:58 AM
Very nice Gmoney. As others have said before me, monet well spent. I know you don't know the answer, but I wonder how the uke sounds now with a brand new soundboard compared to the original one? And now you will get to see how it opens up.

It was a bit BUZZY before w/the numerous cracks! And as most of these show up on eBay, spent WAY too long in someones attic so the wood was pretty dried out. The inside was dusty, and I bet even the cleanup inside has helped it out a bit. Don't know for a fact, but I would bet that Kamaka re-hydrates old ukes a bit before they rebuild 'em. THAT would be a good video for Kamaka to do - a walk through the repair shop.

I think the job they did on mine goes back to the often-quoted line "You're using the family name. Don't make junk!"