New OLD uke day!

Gmoney

Reaction score
Several months ago I bought a gold label Kamaka Pineapple off of eBay for a pretty reasonable price. It was barely playable & had a number of significant issues. Multiple cracks in the top, a long crack in the back and a bridge that had been SCREWED on by some past owner. It looked like this:

MVC-010S.jpgMVC-004S.jpgMVC-007S.jpgMVC-015S.jpg

After reading several threads here, I decided to send it off to Kamaka for repair. Am I GLAD I did! I just got it back from repair after only a couple of months... photos following in next post!

And NOW for the NEW old uke!

WP_000191 (2).jpgWP_000195 (2).jpgWP_000197 (2).jpgWP_000199 (2).jpgWP_000194 (2).jpg

They fixed the back crack (its undetectable now!) They completely replaced the top w/a one-piece of pretty koa. Replaced the bridge & added a new bone saddle. They also replaced the tuners (but sent me the originals if I want put them back on at some point. And completely refinished the entire uke w/a very light nitrocellulose finish (best I can tell). It plays & sounds SO lovely! I am SO pleased with the care & workmanship.

THANK you Kamaka!

Last edited:
Aloha Glenn,
She's a beauty after the make over...wow...thanks for sharing...Happy strummings..MM Stan

What a wonderful before/after comparison! I think it's a great thing to revive a classic instrument.

Aloha Glenn,
She's a beauty after the make over...wow...thanks for sharing...Happy strummings..MM Stan

She really is! I didn't know what to expect except that it would HAVE to be better than what I started with. Some folks are fairly "religious" about refinishing a vintage uke, but the way I see it, it just got a good run at another 30+ years when one of my grandkids will inherit.

Aloha Gmoney,
Congrats on your great looking uke.....enjoy it......................BO....................

WOW!!! That is really beautiful.....very happy for you! What a great thing to bring a uke like that back to life!

That pretty much defines "proper restoration" in my book. Should be a great player now. I've heard Kamaka practically gives these restorations away. Can you let us know?

That pretty much defines "proper restoration" in my book. Should be a great player now. I've heard Kamaka practically gives these restorations away. Can you let us know?

I agree - they did a bang up job. I don't mind sharing the price, though some may think its too much to pay for "rebuilding" an old uke. They originally quoted me $275, but it came in at $295. I'm happy with it except that I don't really like the strings they put on it - they are dark, not Worth browns, maybe Hilo's or even GHS'? I might put a set of Martin 600's on it, but until I decide.... its fun to have "something old, something new..."

G--

Fantastic. $295 well spent!

That poor thing was rougher than a cob...and now she looks great! Money WELL spent for a fantastic Uke

It's beautiful. Money well spent for more than a lifetime of music.

WOW! It looks great and really has me anxious, I have a Gold Label Pineapple at Kamaka too. I hope mine turns as nice, it needed pretty much the same work as yours.

Very nice Gmoney. As others have said before me, monet well spent. I know you don't know the answer, but I wonder how the uke sounds now with a brand new soundboard compared to the original one? And now you will get to see how it opens up.

Very nice! They did a great job! And pleased to hear it only took a few months rather than the "year long" wait period I keep hearing about!

Happy New Old Uke Day!

WOW! What a tremendous testament to a caring, committed family business. Repairs $295, years of playing this restored instrument, PRICELESS. Would love to hear a sound sample. Congratulations!

I agree. Money well spent. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing Glenn. It' always nice to see a happy ending.

Great looking uke! I'd love to hear how it sounds, even with the Kamaka (D'Addario) strings they put on it.

very very nice looking uke....enjoy enjoy!

They also replaced the tuners (but sent me the originals if I want put them back on at some point.
Did they also send you the bridge screws? Haha. Congratulations on the restoration, I know you love yourself some pineapples and his is a beauty.

Top Bottom