Kamaka tuner upgrade

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought what turned out to be a mid-70s Kamaka soprano. It has black tuners that have a tapered shaft and does not use bushings.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1322&attachmentid=24486

They are becoming difficult to keep in tune so I'm thinking about upgrading the tuners. I'd like to do as little as possible in modifying the headstock and would hope for tuners that would be more or less dropins. Any suggestions?

A few months ago I bought what turned out to be a mid-70s Kamaka soprano. It has black tuners that have a tapered shaft and does not use bushings.

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/album.php?albumid=1322&attachmentid=24486

They are becoming difficult to keep in tune so I'm thinking about upgrading the tuners. I'd like to do as little as possible in modifying the headstock and would hope for tuners that would be more or less dropins. Any suggestions?

I got a fifty's gold Kamaka with original black tuners...never seen them on a white label though.....you can call kamaka for replacements...or elderly for upgrades..Kamaka Hawaii, Inc E-mail: mailkamakahawaii.com
telephone..808-531-3165 if you want original replacements..
I hear they used the black tuners from time to time when they had some around...here's my 50's gold kamaka soprano...
DSC00054-1.jpg

Last edited:
+1 on Ping. I have them on my Martin without any alteration.

Thanks. I'll check out the Pings. I had contacted Kamaka and they confirmed that the black tuners are original and were used on some of the white labels in the mid 70s which they said helped date the uke as being from 73-75 but as late as 76 as the person I talked to said if Sam found a set of black pegs laying about, he'd use them.
Also, in talking to their Customer Service rep, she said that the tuners they currently use and could supply as replacements would require some reaming of the peg holes to accommodate the larger diameter shafts.

Top Bottom