Remembered the Sharpie! - Jumpin' Jim Beloff's Workshop in Rhode Island

bdukes

Reaction score
Last Thursday evening Jim and Liz Beloff held a nice beginner's workshop at Wakefield Music. The weapon I chose to bring was my Fluke which I though appropriate. Lot's of fun just strumming and singing. There are few folks who are more passionate and knowledgeable about the ukulele than Jim. He's so accommodating and helpful to questions and it's clear how much he loves the instrument.

Although it truly was a beginner session I still had a great time and learned a few new things, like the "Hawaiian D7." The crowd of about 25 was made of total-never-touched-a-uke types to played-for-a-few-years guys to guitarists looking for a new instrument. I saw a few folks leave with new flukes and ukes fresh off the wall. I picked up a signed copy of The Daily Ukulele. Fun book.

FYI, he's coming back to Wakefield Music in August for an intermediate session for those interested. Call the shop to reserve a spot because seating is limited and the last one was full.

If you haven't seen Jim lecture or attend one of his workshops, I highly recommend it. You won't meet two nicer people than Jim and Liz.

Oh, and I remembered to put a Sharpie in my case after my chance meeting Jake and not being prepared at all. Although, can you be prepared for chance meeting with Jake? Anyway, got Jim to sign my Fluke. I guess I'm keeping it.

Or maybe some other dude named Bill...

web.jpg

web.jpg

Aloha Bill,
You lucky guy....ha ha I want mine signed too....hope he makes it to this rock....I would ask him to sign it by the upper neck and body...might last longer from the wear...MM Stan

Great thread! I'm a newbie so am wondering how this works. Is it OK to go up after a performance and ask for them to sign? Do you pay? And, after signing, should you cover it with some sort of protection, i.e., clear coat or something? Sorry if these questions are stoopid.

Great thread! I'm a newbie so am wondering how this works. Is it OK to go up after a performance and ask for them to sign? Do you pay? And, after signing, should you cover it with some sort of protection, i.e., clear coat or something? Sorry if these questions are stoopid.
It's pretty easy getting Jake to sign your uke. He is very friendly, and very nice to his fans. After the concert, he will come out an meet the public and sign your uke. Ask around to see where they will do this, because sometimes it's outside. I got an Industrial strength Sharpie for signatures. http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product...harpieIndustrialFineExtraFine(Sharpie Catalog)
–Lori

Thanks for the Sharpie tip. I am going to stop at Office Depot and pick one up within the hour to take to my first workshop - songwriting with Victoria Vox. My bright green Kala Kiwi will be my sig-uke, might as well glam it up even more than it already is.
Victoria is great. She is definitely going on the signature uke next time I see her. I hope to get James Hill in San Diego next month.
sh_indst_fn_blk_on.jpg

–Lori

I always thought it would be fun to have every uke player I run into sign the signature uke. Famous, or not. Just be a fun thing to do. will get the sharpie too!

Top Bottom