New Dük strap

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
here's a few sneak peeks of the new strap we are working on. This is for the most part is a prototype. Knoticle has made some sample knotting to work with on some even fancier ones. He has several different styles of knots he works with. Some may have tassles, some little dangling things, etc. We bounced around some pretty cool ideas today. What do you guys think of straps like this? Of course, many many colors and various mixture of colors will be available.

HPIM0165.jpg

HPIM0162-1.jpg

HPIM0163-1.jpg

HPIM0161-1.jpg

That part can be tasseled, frayed, etc.. This is just a prototype. I wasn't crazy about that sticking up either, but the options are pretty much endless on that finished end. They will stretch a little bit, especially if you have a heavy uke, or use it to rest your arm on. But, you can wash it and will will shrink back up.. It also has adjustment to compensate for some of that too.. Plus when new, the cord used can be stiff until it breaks in, then it will soften up and be more pliable and not so rigid.

Last edited:
Like it. Needs a loop like a belt to keep the end from sticking up.

Thats a good idea. Keep ideas coming, because this strap is still and always will be in the development stage..

here's a closer shot of a couple variations on the prototype straps.

P1040464.jpg

I like the idea of a "soft" strap; a big selling point for me would be the ease of adjusting the thing while it's around my neck. If I have to take it off to adjust - it's a loser.

I insisted on that. This can be easily adjusted on the fly. Knoticle makes these, and he has allot of cool stuff he makes with various knots. He also uses glass bead, marbles, inside knotted tassels or dangly things for those who likes danging stuff. Also some of those details he can make into decorative zipper pulls, grabs, etc.

Now the red/black strap, he left long tails because my daughter asked for it. He made her that strap for a guitar. I'm not sure that size strap is good for a heavy guitar like a Les Paul, but wouldn't be too bad for a strat, or lighter guitar. He has a cord he can use to make about a 4" wide strap for heavier guitars. He is in the process of making me a strap similar to the bride's blue one, but using OD, black, etc for a camo look. He has some really cool colors, and combinations available..

Last edited:
Thats what we are trying to pin down brudda. Because of the labor involved with these, he is going to have to be in the $30 range depending on optional stuff added to them..

I like the look of it a lot but when I saw the knot that attaches to the strap button I wondered how secure it would be. It looks like it could slip off? Not sure if it really could...

I've waited to let myself think on your strap design and to give you feedback because I know you welcome it. I agree with other people about the knot, something needs to be done with it to make it look more...stylish I suppose the word is...I'm guessing from other people's responses and the pictures it's either connected with a strap button or able to be hooked round the headstock a la "Uke Leash". I'd prefer not to have to install a strap button which is one of the reasons I go with Uke Leashes (plus I love them) but I'd be willing to give your Strap a go if it doesn't need a strap button, just to see how comfy it was and how much weight it held of my Ukes, that kinda thing.

I know some people think people who use straps are lazy, but I use it because my conditions mean I can't always hold the weight of the Uke in my arms, so it takes some of the weight...

Hope that helps!

Before I begin, since I see that there are already comparisons being made, let me make sure everyone knows where I stand. The Uke Leash is a fine product at a fair price. If you have one, I'm sure you like it - and for good reason. It looks like it's very comfortable and if I wasn't called Knotical (for good reason), I could see owning one myself. ;)

Tony and I talked about him selling some of my work as a specialty item with his ukes (possibly even doing custom requests). But, I gotta say; anyone who thinks there is any threat to the Uke Leash market share is crazy. I don't have the time or motivation.

Moving on . . .
As Tony said, the straps he has in his possession are only proof of concept prototypes and I didn't realize he was going to be posting photos quite so soon. :uhoh: I usually don't display things that aren't complete, or don't look as good as I want them to look.

We're still working to determine what is a good length for these straps (your input welcomed) and that means they're not as pretty yet as the finished product is going to be. We'll get there, and soon, and we think it'll be something that you will be proud to hang on your favorite uke.

here's a few sneak peeks of the new strap we are working on. This is for the most part is a prototype. Knotical has made some sample knotting to work with on some even fancier ones. He has several different styles of knots he works with. Some may have tassles, some little dangling things, etc. We bounced around some pretty cool ideas today. What do you guys think of straps like this? Of course, many many colors and various mixture of colors will be available.

HPIM0163-1.jpg

In the photo above, this uke has the tiniest strap button I've ever seen. Tony told me it's actually a string anchor from a guitar. It's beautiful, but it's also very small. I think just about any strap could have issues with a button that size. If I know that's what you've got for a strap button, I can fine tune the loop and it will be fairly secure. (As I did for Tony's wife.) With a regular size strap button, the size of the loop I usually use is very secure.

Like it. Needs a loop like a belt to keep the end from sticking up.

The "end" or "tail" you see in the photos above is just a quick little one strand braid I did to shorten the extra cord. Since this was just the first test, I made sure to start with enough cord to test it out.

What Tony didn't mention is that this strap can also be used on ukes without a strap button in the "around the strumming arm" style. I have found that it does need more adjustment cord than in the guitar strap style (hence the included extra length).

Just so you know, I already have an idea that will make the extra cordage less obtrusive and I'll be testing that out in short order.

here's a closer shot of a couple variations on the prototype straps.

P1040464.jpg

This is a better photo of the transition portion of the blue & turqouise strap (which I still want to refine) and as Tony said, it can easily be adjusted while you have it on.

The red & black strap was made extra long because I knew that Tony's daughter might like it as a guitar strap. After I got there, I custom fit it to her and her guitar (so dad can't swipe it) and since she's a teenage girl, I let her leave the ends long so they could dangle and look cool.

I've waited to let myself think on your strap design and to give you feedback because I know you welcome it. I agree with other people about the knot, something needs to be done with it to make it look more...stylish I suppose the word is...I'm guessing from other people's responses and the pictures it's either connected with a strap button or able to be hooked round the headstock a la "Uke Leash". I'd prefer not to have to install a strap button which is one of the reasons I go with Uke Leashes (plus I love them) but I'd be willing to give your Strap a go if it doesn't need a strap button, just to see how comfy it was and how much weight it held of my Ukes, that kinda thing.

I know some people think people who use straps are lazy, but I use it because my conditions mean I can't always hold the weight of the Uke in my arms, so it takes some of the weight...

Hope that helps!

Rest assured, the finished product will look more stylish than the prototype. (Nobody was supposed to see it at this stage besides Tony & family.)

Any strap I make will be able to handle anything your body can support. However, if your uke weighs more than 10 pounds, you might experience a slight amount of stretching (which you can compensate for by adjusting the length :D)

As I mentioned, This model can be used in the same style as the Uke Leash, although the part that goes around your arm will be a bit wider. That may be more to your liking - or may not.

Straps in this particular style will have a feeling of being somewhat padded. I am already working on some other designs that are made from another kind of cord which is a bit dressier. It is a bit wider than the one pictured here but maybe not quite as squishy.

Thank you all for your thoughts. They are appreciated. Please continue as you feel led.

Ops.. Sorry JP.. But glad ya chimed in to clear up some questions. But, ya might notice some of my threads, I generally share from concept, through design (basically because I want tons of feedback as I go so the end product is what the end user wants.. It typically turns out being their design as much as it's mine.. But, that's just me.. ;))

But, anyway, so far we have some good feedback to take in consideration.. Now get to work, you got this ball rolling, and ya might not be able to stop it.. hehheh..

Top Bottom