Mini-Kani in Lake Elsinore, CA Thanksgiving -- Interested??

NotoriousMOK

Reaction score
I am a member of Elks Lodge No. 2591 in Lake Elsinore, CA. Each year my lodge hosts a free Thanksgiving dinner for our senior citizens who live in Lake Elsinore and surrounding cities. For a variety of reasons I'm sure, the mass of these seniors simply don't have a family to spend this holiday with. Tickets/invites are sent to senior centers and advertised in the local paper.

Last year, in spite of losing our lodge building to a nasty fire only TWO WEEKS prior to the event, we served 600 people over two sittings. Fortunately, a local business owner donated a considerable portion of their building for the Elks to use until the lodge is rebuilt (broke ground last month :)).

While serving dinner at last year's event, I thought it would be nice to have some ukes in hand to get the crowd singing next time around. UU did not quite exist yet, so until now, I simply did not have access to all you wonderful people!! :rock: Well, it's coming that time soon enough so I'd like to see if there is anybody here who lives close enough to come and participate. :confused: If you're LIKE ME and have a concern about playing on 'front street', don't worry, we have plenty of time to connect, learn/practice a few songs and be ready when the time comes -- I think it will be lots of fun!

The event will take place the day BEFORE Thanksgiving, and there will be two 'sittings' of approximately 300 people at around 11am and 1pm (based on last year's event). I was thinking 4-6 songs that this crowd would be familiar enough with (Five Foot Two, etc) to sing along with. [Howlin' Hobbit, I'd love some song recommendations here :eek:] One of the members brings a little sound system for playing music and announcements during the event, but I'll have to find out what it includes and/or what other gear I'll need to round up. Anyways, that's detail stuff that can be figured out once I figure out who wants to play.

Please post if you have an interest, or if you have some advice, as I've not assembled something like this before, so why not start now???

Thanks and have fun!

I'll do it!

But I'll need practice first --- LOTS AND LOTS of practice first. But consider me in. :)

PolyPop! That's great -- I was really hoping to hear from you on this. I'm surely in the same boat as you, but we've got time to nail it down, and this is just the sort of thing to 'force' us to move forward.

Tim -- Welcome to the forum and thanks for stepping up! Have you settled on a daily player uke yet??

I'm playing phone tag with the lodge member that holds the reigns on this particular event, but once I touch base with him I'll get more details up here and we'll get organized -- in the meantime, who else is in???

Thanks and have fun!

Can't take my hands off the Kamaka Tenor. Practice, practice, practice

PolyPop! That's great -- I was really hoping to hear from you on this. I'm surely in the same boat as you, but we've got time to nail it down, and this is just the sort of thing to 'force' us to move forward.

Tim -- Welcome to the forum and thanks for stepping up! Have you settled on a daily player uke yet??

I'm playing phone tag with the lodge member that holds the reigns on this particular event, but once I touch base with him I'll get more details up here and we'll get organized -- in the meantime, who else is in???

Thanks and have fun!

I'd like to help big braddah. If it were up to me, I'd say a definate yes, but according to my boss, things are going to get pretty hectic at the jobsite from november thru december, but I'm sure he won't miss me for one day. I'm sure, he wouldn't trip about why I would be taking the day off either.

One request, since we're going to be doing some songs for the seniors, can we give them some lyrics to a song? Can I request that they sing santeria while we play? That would be the ish!!! j/k..no really lol!!!

One request, since we're going to be doing some songs for the seniors, can we give them some lyrics to a song? Can I request that they sing santeria while we play? That would be the ish!!! j/k..no really lol!!!

That would be sweet!

Comon' y'all -- lets do this and kick off the holiday season UU style. It would be cool if we got a big group together for this one!

I think I'd pretty much cry if I see a bunch of seniors sing....

"I'd pop a cap in sancho and I'd slap her dowwwwwwn!!!!!"

I've got a small group of people from my church that normally play Tuesday nights at local old folks homes. It's a very rewarding time.

My friend is an amazing banjo player and would probably love to get involved. Let me find out his availability and I'll PM you.

I think I'd pretty much cry if I see a bunch of seniors sing....

That just means you've never heard Bill Tapia (100 years old) or Fred Thompson (76 years old) play a uke and sing. Bill is one of the alakai's for the Ukulele Society of America and Fred is the Alakai of the WindNSea Ukulele club. All ages enjoy them. Unless you're as good as Aldrine or Jake, you'd be surprized! Ric

If you meet on a Monday or Tuesday, I'd stop in. It's a 40 to 60
minute drive, from Vista. We have ukulele players (well over a
thousand of us in the San Diego area) who are seniors (our ages
in our clubs range from 7 to 100. My wife is a night nurse in a
local retirement home. I've sat outside while waiting for her,
busking out Beatle's tunes and the like and many of the seniors
hum and sing along. Music jogs the memories of seniors and is
theraputidc for those with dementia and alzheimers. I guess you
can say I've informally played senior gigs. Assuming that these
seniors would probably remember songs from their teenager
days, the top 10 to 40 hits from those years would be:

A 60 year old would recognize tunes from the 50's and newer:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1950-59s.htm

A 70 year old would recognize tunes from the 40's and newer:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1940-49s.htm

A 80 year old would recognize tunes from the 30's and newer:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1930-39s.htm

A 90 year old would recognize tunes from the 20's and newer:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1920-29s.htm

A 100 year old would recognize tunes from the 10's and newer:

http://www.acclaimedmusic.net/Current/1910-19s.htm

There is a ukulele group in Yucaipa, close to you:

Yuciapa: Ukulele Club meets on Wednesday afternoon from 1:00 to
2:30 pm at the Senior Center, 1st and B Streets in Yuciapa, California.
(This is from a list on Joyce's website)

Joyce leads a group in Texas, that does senior home gigs, often:

http://www.ukuleleuniverse.com

http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/learntoplay

Table of contents, from Joyce's book:

Table of Contents

CHORD DIAGRAMS NEEDEDTO PLAY THE SONGS IN THIS BOOK
(SOPRANO AND BARITONE)

TRANSPOSITION CHARTS
FOR MAGIC 2-CHORD SONGS, 3-CHORD WONDERS,
AND FABULOUS 4-CHORD SONGS (SOPRANO AND BARITONE)

MAGIC 2-CHORD SONGS

HE’S GOT THE WHOLE WORLD IN HIS HANDS
LONG LONG AGO

3-CHORD WONDERS

AMAZING GRACE
AMERICA
BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC
CRAWDAD SONG
GOOD NIGHT LADIES
K-K-K-KATY
LITTLE BROWN JUG
OLD GREY MARE