PDA

View Full Version : past the 5th fret???!!!

mustacheukuleles
06-25-2011, 10:26 PM
hello uu'ers! just been trying to move forward in my journey with the beautiful instrument we are all here for and i find myself being uncomfortable moving past the fifth fret. i have friends that play WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY down the fret board and it always sounds so good but i never know what chords they are playing or how to venture out past the fifth fret. does anyone have any words of wisdom or some fun chord progressions i could practice to improve my playing? i would like to find some chords that sound good switching from the 1st 2nd 3rd fret to the lower frets on the neck. i figured others had the question too so i decided to be so bold and ask the dang question!
goodnight people

ps sorry for the rambling. its late and im tireeed

mm stan
06-25-2011, 11:37 PM
Aloha Mustacheukuleles,
Check this site out....http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/ Hope it helps..Good Luck and Happy Strummings..MM Stan

molokinirum
06-26-2011, 03:17 AM
Get a copy of Fretboad Roadmaps for the ukulele. That will teach you a lot of how to play down the fretboard.

sbarron
06-26-2011, 03:39 AM
As a rule, I don't usually add "me too" posts to forums, but I very much second the Fretboard Roadmaps. I'm working through it now, and I've worked through similar material for guitar. Once you start understanding how the layout of the fretboard grid works getting around the neck gets easier and easier.

-Scott

gritstone
06-26-2011, 03:45 AM
As mentioned before - I'm no expert, but I think you can get too hung up on the technicalities of 'playing' and miss out on the simple fun of it.

My suggestion, find a tune (or ten) you want to play that are a bit too hard for you - and spend a few minutes (only) each day on them - you'll soon see the 5th fret disappearing in your wing mirror :-).

I've been playing (uke) just a few months - I haven't bothered learning a single chord (yet), but I'm now running out of fret space on my tenor - I'll need a cutaway soon, to get past the 15th.

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters
06-26-2011, 05:07 AM
I'm learning a lot from this book (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?49189-WIN-a-CLASSIC-UKULELE-BOOK).

janeray1940
06-26-2011, 06:25 AM
Get a copy of Fretboad Roadmaps for the ukulele. That will teach you a lot of how to play down the fretboard.

+1 for this. Also, Roy Sakuma's Treasury of Ukulele Chords (http://www.amazon.com/Treasury-Ukulele-Chords-Roy-Sakuma/dp/0966289706/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1309105495&sr=8-1).

PhilUSAFRet
06-26-2011, 07:31 AM
I have a copy of Fretboard Roadmaps. I don't have a great mind for music theory/math!!
I've found this site helpful to me, kind of eases me into the "written word."

http://www.ukeschool.com/school/levels.html

uke5417
06-26-2011, 10:08 AM
I just started adding positions, first seconds and the thirds (http://www.ukulele.nl/chordfinder.php#), and as I did I tried to incorporate them into songs/riffs I already knew. Then suddenly I "got" the idea of moveable chord forms/shapes and most of the others just fell into place. I found "Roadmaps" a bit overwhelming, but it all gets you to the same place in the end.

ichadwick
06-26-2011, 12:50 PM
It's a lot easier to play above the low frets when you have a longer scale. The spaces between frets are easier to reach and hit properly as the distance between nut and saddle increases. Sopranos are much more difficult to play above the 7th fret than, say tenors, for beginners. Baritones have oodles of room up to the 15th fret.

Not to say they are unplayable, just that it takes more practice and a more polished technique to do so well.

As always, the key is in this simple mantra:
Practice.
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.
And have a glass of wine to relax.

gritstone
06-26-2011, 09:00 PM
As always, the key is in this simple mantra:
Practice.
Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice. Practice.
And have a glass of wine to relax.

I'm ****** brilliant after a few glasses of wine :-)