Holding the Uke

hatchet

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've been perusing here for a couple days and coming out of the lurky shadows hoping to get some assistance. I picked up my first uke a week ago (a Mitchel concert uke), I'm absolutely loving it. I've never been able to really get anywhere with a fretted instrument before, but am having luck with the uke.

Anyways, where I'm having the most trouble right now is holding the uke. I can't seem to keep the neck and head from slipping down. Basically, after 30 seconds of playing my left thumb gets a little sweaty and I as I release my chord grip to change chords, I have to grab the uke with one hand or the other to tip it back up. This of course breaks my pattern and I'm not able to work on chord transitions too much.

Any ideas on what I can change? is there a grip pad I could attach somewhere to take care of this?

Thanks!

Do a search for "Uke Leash" on this site. One of the members makes them and they wok well to keep it from slipping on you.

Thanks for the fast responses guys! I'll check those out.

Aloha Hatchet,
Welcome to the UU and our forums..have fun and enjoy....Google musicteacher2010 and Paxukulele for awesome ukulele videos and Dr Uke for songs, chords and information..happy strummings..
Oh yeah..hold your uke at a 2'o clock position with the neck and apply pressure with the uke tucked between your ribs(body) and your elbow and arms..see this link too..it might help...
http://www.ukulelestrummers.com/Generalinfo.html#GENERAL just click there... Hope it helps...Good Luck, MM Stan

Thanks mm! I think the problem might be in part due to my uke having a high-gloss finish. no matter how hard I press the uke against my chest, I can't get it to stay in that 2 o'clock position.

Here's another vote for the Uke Leash (you can google it). When I started playing, my Tenor ukulele kept slipping during chord changes as you describe. The Uke Leash made a world of difference for me.

Here's another vote for the Uke Leash (you can google it). When I started playing, my Tenor ukulele kept slipping during chord changes as you describe. The Uke Leash made a world of difference for me.
Operators are standing by! Really, there is only just me doing everything, but the Uke Leash has helped lots of people with exactly the same problem.
–Lori

I just started playing too and have the same problem. I pretty much can only play sittin' down..HaHa...I just rest the ukulele on my thigh so I can relax and change chords fluidly. I'm learning "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" right now. Just don't ask me to play anywhere there's no chairs...HaHa!

Uke leashes are no good if you pick cause it gets in the way. I rest it on my thigh. The ten to two position only works for me when strumming because you dont really have to let go of the neck in the same way as when you are picking. Yep sopranos are tricky little beggars and will get away from you every way they can. But dont give up, ukes are fun whatever way you do it.

Uke leashes are no good if you pick cause it gets in the way. I rest it on my thigh. The ten to two position only works for me when strumming because you dont really have to let go of the neck in the same way as when you are picking. Yep sopranos are tricky little beggars and will get away from you every way they can. But dont give up, ukes are fun whatever way you do it.
Don't confuse the Uke Leash with sound hole hook lanyards. The Uke Leash (ukeleash.com) does not interfere with picking because it is nowhere near the sound hole. It only attaches on the head stock. Sound hole hook/ lanyards do possibly get in the way of picking.

I felt that needed clarification.

–Lori

An old gent in our Ukulele Club,struggled with
'shiny' ukes for years.He tried using Blu Tac to
attach a piece of rubbery matting to the back
of it and still struggled.Then he saw that some
of us at the Club (Me included,on tenors!) use
a strap.Next thing he had a bootlace tied to his
headstock,and over his shoulder,then tied around
the waist of his uke! Problem solved (for him) He
is now making massive leaps forward,as he can
work on his fingerings without worrying about
a wandering ukulele!
I'm not dissing the Uke Leash here,which I have
heard great reports about,nor dissing fitting a
strap button and strap.Whatever works for you!
But tying a bootlace on to try it costs very little,
especially if you have an old lace hanging about
at home! I suggest a bootlace or a trainer lace
by the way because of their length!

Top Bottom