How does one package a uke for a seller?

UkeToaster

Reaction score
Hi! I'm looking to make my first sale and i wanted to know if anyone has any steps, tricks, or tips for packaging ukes CORRECTLY. :) Thanks!

Line the box with, at worst, heaps of crumpled up newspaper, or better, use those little foam biscuits you can buy from the post office. Then wrap the uke generously in bubble wrap. Then fill in the side crevices and the top with more crumpled newspaper. USE LOTS!!!

It also helps to use some extra small pieces of cardboard at the delicate places...ie..above the headstock, at the bottom and at the sides where the uke is at it's widest point.

If it's in a hardshell case that's the ideal way to do it. (But still do all these things anyweay: newspaper, bubble wrap, reinforcment etc...)

Make sure that when you pick the box up and gently shake it, there is no movement to be heard from inside. You definitely don't want the uke moving around. Gotta be firmly cushioned.

Lastly, INSURE it. This is protection for yourself and the buyer. All the best with it mate.

(PS: if the uke doesn't firmly fit it's case, make sure you also put some bracing in there too, just to prevent any movement...a bit of cardbaord, more foam or bubble wrap.)

Be sure to use a good sized box, it's better to be safe then sorry. Here is what my Kamaka with a hard shell case came in.
100_5045.jpg

Listen to eugeneukulele! he sent me a black bear mahogany soprano w/case, from Australia to Brazil, in the same proportion of protecting the photo box above. Lots of protection!

I borrowed in idea from Pete Howlett. Go to Home Depot and buy a 4'x8' sheet of 1" foam insulation. I make a specially sized cardboard box that is entirely lined with this insulation. This box goes inside another box that is again lined with insulation. I have been accused of over packaging my instruments, but I have never had one damaged in shipping.

Brad

Be sure to use a good sized box, it's better to be safe then sorry. Here is what my Kamaka with a hard shell case came in.
100_5045.jpg

That box is not too big! The boxes I see most ukes shipped in are ridiculously small.
On the other hand I knew someone who shipped an uke from Japan to Hawaii in its' hard case alone. No box, just a couple of wraps with duct tape around the case latches. Taped a label to it and shipped it! Surprisingly enough it made the trip fine.

My Kanile'a came from Australia in it's case with one layer of paper over it. That was it.

That box is not too big! The boxes I see most ukes shipped in are ridiculously small.
On the other hand I knew someone who shipped an uke from Japan to Hawaii in its' hard case alone. No box, just a couple of wraps with duct tape around the case latches. Taped a label to it and shipped it! Surprisingly enough it made the trip fine.
Yeah I was pleased to see my ukulele arrive in that box.

Call the post office for the dementions...to save money.. if like eugene stated, it is not in a case...double box it...add insulation as packaging peanuts, foam, or crumpled paper..and bubble
wrap doesnt hurt either around the uke ...hope it helps...good luck, or should I say to the reciever...good luck..ha ha..

Line the box with, at worst, heaps of crumpled up newspaper,
No! Use proper packing material. Newspaper has no strength. I can guarantee another box or a person will land on top of your box, so use something sensible and strong.

For 11 years I owned a Mail Boxes Etc/UPS Store. I did packing and shipping daily. First, loosen the strings before you seal it.

Use some small-bubble bubblewrap around the neck and body to keep it firm in the case. Lay a sheet over the top of the uke before you close the case. It has to be snug with NO movement in the case. I recommend wrapping the whole case in 1-2 layers of large-bubble bubblewrap, too.

Never, ever use newspaper unless you already have the uke inside an unbreakable, padded container, like a hardshell case. Even then use hard styrofoam - beadboard or the pieces you saved from a TV or stereo set - to hold the case in place in the box, and keep it from shifting. I recommend pelespan (styrofoam or starch 'peanuts') to fill the box. You can cut up cardboard boxes and roll the pieces or fold them into 3-sided pieces to make supports, too. These will help prevent any collapse of the outside box. Between the case and the box you need at least 6" of serious packing and support.

If the uke isn't in a case, wrap it in at least 6" of large-bubble bubblewrap and make sure there's at least 12" of packing between the bubble and the box.

Use a 200+lb. test box. Don't reuse boxes a lot because they weaken with use. Once or twice is the max they should be reused.

Figure that it will travel on large conveyor belts at 30-50 mph, be dropped at least your own height, have other packages dropped on on, be tossed in and out of trolleys and trucks. Nothing inside should be able to shift even a tiny amount. Vibration will be tremendous and constant through its entire journey. It will be left in unheated and non-air-conditioned transport trucks overnight. It will be bumped, kicked, shoved and shaken. Newspaper just isn't up to that stress.

thankyou o oracle ichadwick for your enthusiastic undermining of my post. Unfortunately not everyone may have access to those kinds of materials and in such a scenario, crumpled up newspaper can provide adequate support for a uke in transit, provided, as I said, that the seller uses LOTS of it as well as generous quantities of bubble wrap. A hardshell case is obviously important. It's not rocket science but as someone who has shipped over 30 ukuleles internationally without hitch, and who has used newspaper a number of times in conjunction with those measures so described above, it can work fine. Provided that common sense and care is taken also. I might add that I have received a number of ukes from well respected international uke shippers with the uke packed similarly without any problem.

The one thing I didn't see mentioned is that you should slack all of the strings. The uke may be going thru dramatic atmospheric changes in shipment and you don't want the strings too tight.

Here is how Mr. Moore packs his ukes...

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...69-I-got-this-package-the-other-day....part-1

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...70-I-got-this-package-the-other-day....part-2

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...r-day....part-3&highlight=ronnie+moore+bettah

Top Bottom