Daily Ukulele June 27th 2011

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey Everyone :D Good Morning!

I had to find a source for a statement I made in my essay and then I can send it off and then I'm done for the week and it's not even Monday afternoon, that means time for UKULELE!!

Oh, I saw this on Twitter and thought I would share..

(o)==::

A ASCII Ukulele!

Anyway!

Page: 119
Song: If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song)

Inspiration:

Nice video :D

Enjoy!

Get :music:

DU is just full of great songs! You select one at random every day and they're allgreat. Thanks for keeping up with this!

wow, that's lovely, i didn't think i was really going to dig that at all, shows what i know! Speaking of which, what are the chords? i know it's a baritone but aside from that it looks like he's just playing everything open for the last chord- is that actually a chord or is he maybe playing in an open tuning?

shouldn't be rocket science but maybe is it C Em F G? ....at least on my gcea tuning that seems to kind of work.

Last edited:
In the Daily Ukulele, the chords are C, F, G7 and Am. The guy in the video is might be playing in a different key (I don't know whether his baritone is tuned GCEA or DGBE), he might be playing a different arrangement of the song, and/or he may have varied the chords somewhat on his own.

Last edited:
wow, that's lovely, i didn't think i was really going to dig that at all, shows what i know! Speaking of which, what are the chords? i know it's a baritone but aside from that it looks like he's just playing everything open for the last chord- is that actually a chord or is he maybe playing in an open tuning?

shouldn't be rocket science but maybe is it C Em F G? ....at least on my gcea tuning that seems to kind of work.

I go by the chords in the book "The Daily Ukulele" which has 365 songs, one for each day of the year, I don't know much about Baritones and am unsure if they would be the same chords as it the soprano etc.

thanks joey! just started actually playing the uke myself even though i signed up here 3 years ago and first time i saw your posts; really a great idea! i wasn't aware until reading a bit of this thread that these were from the Daily Ukulele book...i've seen it on amazon but haven't gotten it partly because i already have about 4 fakebooks that i mostly use for piano so am hoping i can muster some tunes out of those.

Perhaps my inexperience so far in playing the uke but was having a hard time making those chords work for that tune; actually was having better luck with the C Em F G i had come up with. As far as the baritone you can play it the same way only if you try that the tune will be...well if you were playing an a chord on the soprano uke and played the same chord on the baritone it would sound like an e chord (think i have that right!) where the uke is tuned higher than a guitar, as if you had a capo on the 5th fret of a guitar. but as far as the overall sound it would be the same, only lower on the baritone.

anyhoo, that's what made me think it might be an open tuning because i couldn't quite replicate what he was playing...especially the last, 4th chord, where he seems to be lifting all his fingers and just playing all the open strings. oh well i'll have something to work on trying to figure it out! Really love the casual rambling way he plays this though...every once in awhile you come across a youtube video that is just great like that, not necessarily flash virtuoso but just unique and right in that zone...reminds me of a guy on youtube who played 'my favorite things' on piano and just hit it right on like that too.

thanks joey! just started actually playing the uke myself even though i signed up here 3 years ago and first time i saw your posts; really a great idea! i wasn't aware until reading a bit of this thread that these were from the Daily Ukulele book...i've seen it on amazon but haven't gotten it partly because i already have about 4 fakebooks that i mostly use for piano so am hoping i can muster some tunes out of those.

Perhaps my inexperience so far in playing the uke but was having a hard time making those chords work for that tune; actually was having better luck with the C Em F G i had come up with. As far as the baritone you can play it the same way only if you try that the tune will be...well if you were playing an a chord on the soprano uke and played the same chord on the baritone it would sound like an e chord (think i have that right!) where the uke is tuned higher than a guitar, as if you had a capo on the 5th fret of a guitar. but as far as the overall sound it would be the same, only lower on the baritone.

anyhoo, that's what made me think it might be an open tuning because i couldn't quite replicate what he was playing...especially the last, 4th chord, where he seems to be lifting all his fingers and just playing all the open strings. oh well i'll have something to work on trying to figure it out! Really love the casual rambling way he plays this though...every once in awhile you come across a youtube video that is just great like that, not necessarily flash virtuoso but just unique and right in that zone...reminds me of a guy on youtube who played 'my favorite things' on piano and just hit it right on like that too.

Glad you're enjoying the posts, I try to do one a day, as well as sometimes ones from Ukulele JJ, Eugene Ukulele and mds has done a few when I've been sick/away from UU! Hope you continue to enjoy them :D

Top Bottom