New Uke day - almost :)

johntz

Reaction score
The order is in! Now the hard part is to wait till it shows up. I have been looking at the K brands and was at Gryphon last week and tried a Collings. WOW! What a sound and light as a feather. It resonated for days. I wanted a Koa one and the Elderly one was available. I can't wait. I will post pictures when it shows up. Had to share my excitment. Would love to hear from others that have the Collings ukes, what they think about them. Here is the link for the pictures at Elderly:

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/UT2-KOA.htm

Last edited:
so did you grab the Art Deco Collings John, or the Koa model? That art deco model has been haunting my dreams. They sure make beautiful ukes and, yeah, they are amazingly well balanced and so light as to feel like they're almost floating. Congratulations on the purchase and we'll all be drooling overthe pictures when it arrives. And, as you always say my friend, play it in good health!!! Cheers mate. :)

edit: aah, the Koa one. just saw you posted the link. She's a stunner.

Great choice! I don't own a Collings, but I've played a number of them at Acoustic Vibes in Tempe, and I like them quite a bit. They're just like you mentioned- light as a feather, and loud. The Pegheads are a nice touch too. I doubt you will regret that purchase.

I probably would have purchased a solid mahogany one last year, but I prefer a flat fretboard and they don't make 'em that way.

Congratulations! I visit a local shop, Pioneer Music, regularly that stocks Collings ukuleles. They are stunning instruments. So light. Such great sound. I just wish they made a soprano as well. I imagine it would weigh about an ounce (about 30 grams) and that it would sound sweet and LOUD.

I still haven't had a chance to play a koa Collings; looking forward to hearing about it in your NEW UKE DAY post!

I probably would have purchased a solid mahogany one last year, but I prefer a flat fretboard and they don't make 'em that way.

I played a Collings koa concert at a local shop and fell in love with it. They are extremely light, play effortlessly, and have tons of melodic sound and projection. I didn't notice whether or not the fingerboard was radiused. Does anyone know if Collings ukuleles have radiused fingerboards? The Collings website doesn't say if the fingerboards are flat or radiused.

so did you grab the Art Deco Collings John, or the Koa model? That art deco model has been haunting my dreams. They sure make beautiful ukes and, yeah, they are amazingly well balanced and so light as to feel like they're almost floating. Congratulations on the purchase and we'll all be drooling overthe pictures when it arrives. And, as you always say my friend, play it in good health!!! Cheers mate. :)

edit: aah, the Koa one. just saw you posted the link. She's a stunner.

Thanks Jon!! I can't wait to get her. By the way which one is the art deco one? I can't find it on their site. There is also a cool dog hair finish one at Artisan that is stunning, but I wanted a Koa uke and that dog hair finish is on mahogony. I bet that one sounds great as well. Definitely looks fantastic. I was so impressed with the Collings unique feel I had to have one in my collection. I was sure I was going to get one of the K brands but after playing all of the three K's and then getting my hands on the Collings it was a simple choice for me.

Does anyone know if Collings ukuleles have radiused fingerboards? The Collings website doesn't say if the fingerboards are flat or radiused

They do have radiused fretboards. I even went as far as asking them if they would make me a tenor with a flat fretboard and they said NO.

The fretboards are radiused but it is subtle. I am used to it and prefer it since the Mya-Moe ukes are radiused as well.

Last edited:
Aloha Johnz,
Congratulations...A Mya Moe and a Collins...you must be in uke heaven...have fun and enjoy...Happy Strummings..MM Stan

They are special ukes. I picked up a Collings koa tenor in Hawaii recently on total impulse. I played it and bought it in about 10 mins. It was that visceral. I've never played a ukulele that I felt resonate in my gut like that. Came strung low G and it's a dog fight between it and my Kamaka for the daily player position in the household. Enjoy.

hey John,

this is the art deco Collings I was talking about:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1571.htm

My dreams of it are a cross between wet ones and nightmares...pleasure and pain. I would give my right arm for it but then I wouldn't be able to pick or strum which would be frustrating! :p

hey John,

this is the art deco Collings I was talking about:

http://elderly.com/vintage/items/180U-1571.htm

My dreams of it are a cross between wet ones and nightmares...pleasure and pain. I would give my right arm for it but then I wouldn't be able to pick or strum which would be frustrating! :p

Wow that is hot. I hadn't see that one. I'm real glad its not a tenor or I would be in real lust. Go for it buddy, I know you would make it sing. ;)

Just can't afford it mate, or justify the purchase of it really. But for someone who's a goner for aesthetics it is such a pretty uke to look at. Can only imagine how good it sounds. Your Koa tenor is probably a safer bet soundwise anyway and the figuring on it is gorgeous. Maple and spruce is a really bright and punchy combo and not to everyone's tastes I guess.

My instructor got a Collings UC2 Koa last month. It's similar to the one at Elderly's. Fantastic uke! You're sure to enjoy your tenor. Congrats!

Congrats johntz. You will love it. I have two, a UT-1 mahogany and a UT-3 Quilted Maple/Spruce. They are well described by everyone before me in this thread. Ultra light, loud with great projection and great balance. They have a unique voice and the craftsmanship is second to none. I have settled on Worth Low G for the UT-1. A perfect combo IMO. Still have the Aquillas on the UT-3. I might try some Worths on it too eventually.

Just got it, IT IS STUNNING!! This may be the grail for me. The fit, finish, sound, and action is perfect. It is much easier to play than my other ukes for some reason. The action is super low but not a buzz anywhere even under heavy strumming. It is perfect. The intonation is spot on as well. I will take pictures and post them this weekend when I have some time. Thanks again to those who sent me good wishes with the Uke. Also thanks to the other Collings owners who shared their experiences. I have never been so excited about a physical object before. :) This UAS is killer.

Top Bottom