SoCal ukers - Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps class with Fred Sokolow

janeray1940

Reaction score
Aloha SoCal folks! Fred Sokolow, author of Ukulele Fretboard Roadmaps, is teaching an ongoing class based on his book, and a few spots have opened up. It takes place most Saturdays, 1pm-3pm, in Santa Monica. Cost is $25 per 2-hour session. The next meeting will be on July 9.

This isn't a class for absolute beginners - you will be able to keep up if you already know your first position chords well, and are familiar with moveable/barre chords.

Please PM me if you would like further info. Thanks!

I've just started in on a couple of these classes, and they are fantastic. It's not a formal lesson, more an ongoing casual how-to. While I am in over my head at times with the theoretical aspect, in just two classes, I have picked up a glimmer of ability to figure out songs by ear and from memory. So far it's only "Hobo's Lullaby" and "Out on a Weekend", but it's a start...
A few more of these classes and a little more time spent on the book should allow me to escape the tyranny of the song sheet in due course.
come on down!

Hi, I've just moved to the San Luis Obispo area so I'm going to motor down for this session. I look forward to meeting you all.
Jim

I'd love to be able to join this class, but I fear I wouldn't get much out of it yet, as I don't think I am up to snuff enough to keep up. Especially since I recently bought Fretboard Roadmaps and have a perpetual look of "what the f ..." on my face when reading it.

Hopefully there will be another class in a few months when my skillz will be mad enough to allow me to actually gain something from the time, rather than just being an anchor on the rest of the folks involved.

Especially since I recently bought Fretboard Roadmaps and have a perpetual look of "what the f ..." on my face when reading it.

LOL! I had that look on my face for about a year after I bought that book :) The in-person class sessions are much more basic, and have allowed me to understand the book much better.

We've been doing this ongoing since the beginning of the year, so when you feel ready feel free to message me and I'll let you know if we're still meeting.

The group is meeting again this Saturday, 1pm-3pm, in Santa Monica. Anybody interested?

Would love to make it again this Saturday, but will be in San Diego for the Comic-Con. I will try and make the next one though. I really enjoyed the first class I attended.

–Lori

Would love to make it again this Saturday, but will be in San Diego for the Comic-Con. I will try and make the next one though. I really enjoyed the first class I attended.

–Lori

Nice to hear you enjoyed it :) I will keep you on the email list and let you know when we will meet again.

We'll be meeting again this Saturday, August 6, 1pm-3pm in Santa Monica, and new folks are welcome - PM me for location info.

Hey all - the Fretboard Roadmaps group will be meeting again this Saturday, 8/20, in Santa Monica from 1pm-3pm. New folks are welcome! If you are interested, please email Fred at sokolowmus@aol.com for location info.

(I will be mostly incommunicado for the next couple of days, so please don't contact me directly as I'll be unable to reply.)

The group meets again this Saturday, 10/8, in Santa Monica, 1pm-3pm. New folks are welcome - PM me for details if interested.

Hi I was wondering if this class is going to start again in 2012. Not quite ready for it yet but getting there!

Hi I was wondering if this class is going to start again in 2012. Not quite ready for it yet but getting there!

Hi Kameeley - tenatively, yes; as of a couple weeks ago Fred was thinking about starting this up again "soon" but I don't have a definite date yet. There was also talk of a couple of one-day workshops based on his Blues, and Bluegrass Ukulele books. I'll definitely post here when I know more!

Top Bottom