The Eddie Vedder album

Tubamancha

Reaction score
I had heard a song or two off of this and read here about the songbook and thought 'great, i'd like to know what those chords are in those songs i heard' but then yesterday i tried listening to the whole album and couldn't get through it. I've never been the biggest Pearl Jam fan but still think they and Vedder of course are very talented; but maybe that's partly why i don't think i'll get into this album that much...that is, especially considering it's ukulele, there's just too much angst going on and that's totally the opposite of what i think of ukulele music. This album is just too painful! Thought it interesting though that these songs were apparently written 10 years ago. Well, disappointed in the album but i'd still like to learn a couple of those tunes/chords...maybe a little 'angst' i can get into (offset the train and jason mraz riffs i've been playing alot) but overall just too dark!

Last edited:
You know, I bought the album and had this thought. "Love the album, just wish Eddie Vedder wasn't singing on it."

The uke playing is really fun and interesting(not sure it is GOOD but it is interesting in a good way!). I think his singing is just not a good fit but with that being said, I still listen to it over and over. Kind of like the fact that there is Blues Ukulele? Not sure how BLUE I can get playing the Jumping Flea? Anyway, just one humble opinion and I bet there are more than mine.

Love his Ukes though, no question they are Awesome!!!

i think i hear you. maybe it is the singing i'm finding painful. the 2 songs i heard before, including the one he played on letterman, i did like the chords and can imagine myself thrashing them out (once i figure out what they are!) i've just started playing the uke (i know, the join date, don't ask!) and one of the things i'm digging is that 'wall of chord' mode where you just play two or 3 chords over and over (well i like playing other stuff too, fingerpicking or even flatpicking stuff over and over!) so some of the progressions on that album do seem good for that. ---I haven't learned any U2 stuff yet but that chord drone sound the Edge does alot I'm thinking I should learn a couple of those for the uke. ...a little trancy but i like it!

I love the album, and love Eddie's voice also. I've been a Pearl Jam fan for years though. I loved the Into The Wild soundtrack, and think this album is just as good.

I've got the PDF of the songbook, and looking forward to the actual book and cd coming in the mail :)

well like i heard someone say once 'people don't know what the like, they like what they know' ---so maybe i shouldn't be so quick to dismiss it. As much as I like alot of punk (well PJ is grunge but at least at the onset somewhat alternative) i never totally got into Pearl Jam. I must say though that once Vedder did a cameo walk-on on Letterman and sang for about 15 seconds and the sound of his voice blew me away that time.

Like PedalFreak and jlester2200 I am a HUGE pearl jam and ev fan so (with rare exception) I love the album. I think it's great that those of you aren't really into it were at least willing to give it a listen before forming an opinion. sadly that can be a rare quality in music fans.

grace and peace,
sam

I'm an old fart who was already past most pop music by the time Pearl Jam was around, but when the EV uke album came out I thought I should give it a listen. And... I just can't stand his voice. End of story. But I'm glad that this record is making the uke accessible to people who might otherwise never listen to ukulele at all, and really, EV sounds like a pretty cool guy so I hope it does well for him.

I'm an old fart who was already past most pop music by the time Pearl Jam was around, but when the EV uke album came out I thought I should give it a listen. And... I just can't stand his voice. End of story. But I'm glad that this record is making the uke accessible to people who might otherwise never listen to ukulele at all, and really, EV sounds like a pretty cool guy so I hope it does well for him.

I've noticed already a ton of people on Youtube that are posting ukulele videos, that are saying they just bought it and it was because of Ed's album.

My wife doesn't like his voice either. That seems to be the big thing with most of the people that do not like the album.

I was expecting a lot more from the album. I feel like half the songs sounded the same and the best song he didn't write.

Like many cd's, it's growing on me.
To me, music is just like tasting wine.
It's the second or third sip (not glass) that tells the story.
(three glasses, and I don't really give a hoot what I'm drinking)
I'm definitely not motivated to learn to play any of the tunes.
Now it's time for the anti-ukulele backlash from rock "purists."

firstly. I like Pearl Jam. (especially the Vs album)

secondly. as far as the uke album goes it rocks hands down.
my only complaint, is the slight lack of bass, but that is to be expected with a uke.
it is also lyrically lighter than most pearl jam albums (full of love songs)

'can't keep' also has the best uke video by a country mile.

on the dvd 'water on the road' (hey pedal freak i seriously recommend this dvd if your a PJ/into the wild fan)
he says when he first picked up the uke mid ninties, he put serious effort in to make it sound dark, but came to the conclusion you can't.

the song 'your true' would be my favourite of the album (the chord changes are really interesting)

my 2 (very biased) cents.

Cliff

on the dvd 'water on the road' (hey pedal freak i seriously recommend this dvd if your a PJ/into the wild fan)

Got it :D

Haven't watched it yet though. This Friday night I plan to :)

I was at one of the Chicago shows that tour. Great show, one of the best I'd been to. Sean Penn came out and sang with Eddie at the end of the show :)

Hmmm, the record is not bad at all, I can imagine it not being the common ukulele style songs or classics etc etc. But hey, music is about creativity and reinventing yourself. I tell you I find it hard to be as bold and perform many uke songs live. The uke is not a room filling instrument in my opinion. So making music consisting of basically uke and voice is pretty tricky to make it sound right.

It is just a new approach to uke, and by being Vedder it will bring it into mainstream even more as did Mraz, Train, Swift etc. I can imagine people flipping the first times they saw the Beatles pulling out ukes when it was a grandpa's instrument and the Beatles were supposed to be new and refreshing, now the Beatles are "grandpa's music".

'can't keep' also has the best uke video by a country mile.

Great video. One of the more upbeat songs on the album too.

Sure the album could have done with slightly more variety (and length!) but I like it.

Great video. One of the more upbeat songs on the album too.

Sure the album could have done with slightly more variety (and length!) but I like it.

What's up with his strings? Is it just a color thing? 2 inside strings look like the Ko'olau Gold strings. What are the others? Aquilla? Wound?

Can't wait for his book to come in. It's suppose to have info on his ukes, with photos. I'm hoping that he talks about what ukes were used for each song. I'm a nerd that way :D

Anyone know what uke that is in the video?

Top Bottom