Pre-announcement

Tudorp

Big guy with a lil' uke..
UU VIP
Reaction score
Hey Uke Pukes.. I'm getting kinda excited. I have had loads of support of my tinkering as of late, even from my Gibson/Les Paul community. I get several variations of the question, "Why don't you just pull the trigger dammit, and build your own uke instead of working on everyone elses?" Good question. I like to work on others, and will continue to do so, but just been too intimidated to take on the task and build my own from scratch. Well, I finally decided to pull that trigger, and build the very first 100% Dük Uke. It is going to be dubbed the "Dük Aphid", and yep, you may have seen this coming already, but it is going to be a mini uke, build 100% from recycled, worthless cut off pieces from the woods, markers, frets, and even bone. I am in the process of making my templates and forms now, and I will make the Aphid from solid woods (Mahogany, Acacia, Koa, Maple, Spruce, Cherry, and more). Rosewood fretboard, and bridge, bone nut and saddle, MOP markers, and headstock logo, etc. I think it is going to be fun, and cool. Yes, it will be a novelty as any miniture generally is, but, I am going to do everything in my power to make it a viable, and very playable instrument. This is gonna be fun, and I am getting kinda excited about it. If this turns out as I hope, there will be 100% full scale Düks in the future. ;)

Aloha Tudorp,
Congrats man.....I have seen this coming......glad to hear you're gung ho on your new project...We'll be waiting for the pic's...take alot of them...you know how we are...ha ha MM Stan

Congrats! Normally I just spray for them, but now I may have to "play" for them!

Amongst the littlest of insects, a concept, a ball in motion.

P1040693.jpg

BTW: At the same time, I am working on a miniture hard case just like the big boys as well. If I end up making these for return, I will be offering them as more than a display, complete with hard case. I had the bride and daughter out in the shop today too, lol..

Cool! KoAloha started out with one miniature ukulele and look what happened. Looking forward to Duek!!!

given your attention to detail these will be great!

Way to go, Tony!

My fingers don't have the coordination to play anything as small as the Aphid or a Tangi (Heck, I have problems with a Soprano!), but it looks like a great project!

I look forward to the full sized instruments!

-Kurt

First, how can an announcement be a pre-announcement? ;)

Second, get out in the shop and start building, boy, and don't stop with them teeny little things, either, I want something my stubby thick fingers can play! LOL

John

First, how can an announcement be a pre-announcement? ;)

Second, get out in the shop and start building, boy, and don't stop with them teeny little things, either, I want something my stubby thick fingers can play! LOL

John

Well, it can, and can't depending on a philosophy. And I trust yours as much as I trust my own. And that isn't necessairly a good thing, lol.. I will make one for you with a full size 5 string jazz bass wide neck, and concert scale.. lol..

Cool, its going to be interesting to see this project progress! I really look forward to seeing more pictures in the future and I hope it goes well for you.
Cheers -F

I'm getting kinda excited.

AWESOME Tony, so am I brother. :) So what kinda scale are you using...is it gonna be somewhere between a Tangi mini and an Ohana sopranino ...or what?

I am working it out to 6.5" scale. But, I also have 6" and 7" figured out so it is going to be in that range, which ever works out best, but for now, it's looking like it 6.5".

Love the name, and can't wait to see the prototype, may have to save up my pennies to add one to the list!

Top Bottom