PDA

View Full Version : New Strings. Stretching?

Cuppycakes
08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Hi everyone! First post woo~

I have a Lanikai S-T tenor and recently changed the strings on it to a set of Aquila Nylgut. I was just wondering, how long does it usually take for new strings to stretch out until they start setting?

SailQwest
08-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Depends a lot on how much you play, environment, etc. Hoosierhiver did this video about keeping your ukulele in tune with a good demo on stretching strings.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tD2kZO_Tc0

NotoriousMOK
08-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Hey Cuppycakes -- looks like SailQwest has got you pointed in the right direction already, I just wanted to say 'Welcome Aboard' and have fun!

Cuppycakes
08-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the help!

I watched the video and started stretching them. I am though a little worried about over stretching. My first Uke was a Hilo tenor and after i had put a new set of strings and began tuning it, the bridge just snapped off, taking a good amount of the body with it :( I recently purchased my ukulele and don't want the same thing happening again. It might have possibly been poor construction, but as I'm stretching these new strings I can't get that episode out of my head @_@

hotnanas
08-14-2008, 04:23 PM
my aquilas on my tenor took a good week to stop serious stretching...then the next week to really settle. this is without stretching them by hand, and just with the tuner...but i also tuned it up an octave for that first week...