Lanikai LU-6

ichadwick

Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with this uke? It seems to be a laminate, but I can't be sure. I found one for a resonable price, but would like a few opinions on it.

dosent seem laminate, never played it but i played the lu-11 (soprano and i liked it but thats not saying much =P )

Lanikai LU-6 Tenor 6-String Ukulele Features:

* Tenor 6-string
* Nato wood top, back, and sides
* Multiple binding
* 18 frets
* In-line gold tuners with pearl buttons
* 26"W x 9"W x 2-7/8"D

Unless the specs highlight that its solid wood then its a laminate. Usual practice with all kinds of instruments in my experience is to shout about it if it's solid and not to mention it if its laminate. If its uncertain its almost definitely laminate.

I agree: laminate most likely. But it's half the cost of a similar solid-top Kala 6-string, so I'm very interested... but how are Lanikais in general?

I agree: laminate most likely. But it's half the cost of a similar solid-top Kala 6-string, so I'm very interested... but how are Lanikais in general?

I have a Lanikai LU-21 Concert and a Lanikai CK-C curly koa model and have been very pleased with them in general. They have a bright sound and for ukuleles on the mass produced side are well built. There are signs they are mass produced but you have to look fairly closely. My CK-C has cool fret markers in half moon patterns, has a nice action and bright Hawaiian style sound that also sounds good playing modern songs.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks. From what I can see, the LU series is the entry level, with laminate tops. I'm interested because I'm reluctant to invest a lot in a style of uke I may not enjoy. I can always spend more later, if I find it's to my liking.

My biggest problem is that I live in a small town several hours' drive from Toronto. My local music stores have no interest in or appreciation of ukuleles and as far as I've been able to learn in the last six months, no one else up here plays a uke (at least no one over the age of 18).

I have to depend on the Web for reviews, comments, opinions and ultimately purchases.

If you've never played the uke before the LU-21 is a decent purchase. It was my first uke and I used it for years, it sounds really nice and is built well. The main thing is that it's easy to play and stays in tune so your money won't be wasted!

If you've never played the uke before the LU-21 is a decent purchase.
Well, I've been playing for about six months (and 30+ years on guitar). I've got seven ukes at present, and have traded or sold three others. So this would be my 11th. But hey, who's counting?

But the 6-string bargain escaped me. I'm too slow on eBay, I suppose, when bargains arise. So now I'm looking at an 8-string...

I've got a Lanikai and I'm happy with it. It's the Solid Mahogany Tenor.

. . . But the 6-string bargain escaped me. I'm too slow on eBay, I suppose, when bargains arise. So now I'm looking at an 8-string...
There's an 8 string Kamaka in the Marketplace. Manufactured in 04, great action and very sweet sounding. Yea, I've played that particular one.

Top Bottom