Car Heat/Sun!!

NYG010

Reaction score
Hey guys, so kind of a quirky question I hope some of you can answer..I'm getting my new Fender Nohea delivered on Wednesday and I'm taking a road trip out to South Carolina (around a 13 hour drive from me)..I was wondering- is it okay if I drive the with uke in the gig bag that came with it the whole trip down?

There will obviously be AC or windows open as I don't want to be baking myself :). So I was wondering is it the actual sunlight thats bad or the heat? Thanks in advance!

Heat is the enemy here.....but if it is comfortable for you, your uke should be good. In a discussion some time ago most agreed that the safest place is in the case, on the passenger side floor. Try not to leave it in the car when you go to lunch or for long enough that the heat would cause problems.....other then that....enjoy....and play it out in the sun, it is good for us!

Pretty sure if it's OK for you, it's OK for your ukulele. I would try to keep it out of direct sun though. I always bring my ukuleles inside with me, never leave them in the car during the day. I think the main issue is the glue, if it gets too hot the glue may soften and the ukulele can de-laminate or the bridge can become unglued - yikes!

Heat is the enemy here.....but if it is comfortable for you, your uke should be good. In a discussion some time ago most agreed that the safest place is in the case, on the passenger side floor. Try not to leave it in the car when you go to lunch or for long enough that the heat would cause problems.....other then that....enjoy....and play it out in the sun, it is good for us!

Hm, won't have an option to do that as I am traveling with family and a dog, the trunk is the only spot! How about inside a cooler? haha Thanks buddy!

Pretty sure if it's OK for you, it's OK for your ukulele. I would try to keep it out of direct sun though. I always bring my ukuleles inside with me, never leave them in the car during the day. I think the main issue is the glue, if it gets too hot the glue may soften and the ukulele can de-laminate or the bridge can become unglued - yikes!

Yup, I'm defiaitly going to take it out as soon as we get there but I'm probably going to make the drive in one shot which is what I was worried about!

Yup, I'm defiaitly going to take it out as soon as we get there but I'm probably going to make the drive in one shot which is what I was worried about!

it'll be fine. In the trunk, in the seat, in the floor, strapped to the top of the car, under the hood...maybe not under the hood but it'll be fine everywhere else. I ride a motorcycle and I have taken mine on a 750 mile trip strapped to my sissy bar. Through southern summer thunderstorms and all (It was a Kamaka tenor too).

I also just took mine today to Pensacola and it rode all day in the back of the SUV, right next to the window in nothing but a gig bag. I even left it in the car twice for an hour each time. No worries. It was still in tune and nothing was damaged.

it'll be fine. In the trunk, in the seat, in the floor, strapped to the top of the car, under the hood...maybe not under the hood but it'll be fine everywhere else. I ride a motorcycle and I have taken mine on a 750 mile trip strapped to my sissy bar. Through southern summer thunderstorms and all (It was a Kamaka tenor too).

I also just took mine today to Pensacola and it rode all day in the back of the SUV, right next to the window in nothing but a gig bag. I even left it in the car twice for an hour each time. No worries. It was still in tune and nothing was damaged.

Awesome Thanks Bruddas! I have no worry in the back of my head now for my new uke!!

Awesome Thanks Bruddas! I have no worry in the back of my head now for my new uke!!

yeah. Just don't leave it in the car or pack anything heavy on it:) I travel with mine all the time and have never had a problem with them. I did buy my mainland for traveling and it has now become my travel uke.

Where are you heading in SC?

I would suggest, to be safe, to keep the uke/ gig bag out of the direct sunlight. Most gig bags are black, and black absorbs heat. If you can't avoid the sun, cover up the uke with a light colored piece of clothing. White reflects light and heat. Silver is the best reflector.

–Lori

yeah. Just don't leave it in the car or pack anything heavy on it:) I travel with mine all the time and have never had a problem with them. I did buy my mainland for traveling and it has now become my travel uke.

Where are you heading in SC?

I'm going out to Myrtle Beach for a little family vacation, should be a good time. Thought I would bring the ukulele (even though I have no idea how to play it!) Thank you again!

I would suggest, to be safe, to keep the uke/ gig bag out of the direct sunlight. Most gig bags are black, and black absorbs heat. If you can't avoid the sun, cover up the uke with a light colored piece of clothing. White reflects light and heat. Silver is the best reflector.

–Lori

Lori, that is an awesome idea! I was thinking of putting a blanket on top if it anyway put I forgot about the whole darker colors absorbing more sunlight! Your a genius! Thanks.

I got back home to North Myrtle Beach from Richmond, Va. yesterday afternoon. I kept my OHANA SK-38 out of the direct sunlight in it's gig bag. We only made short "stop and goes" while traveling and while visiting family took it inside with me. I had worried as you, but all seemed to work-out fine. Hope you have a great visit down here on the "strand"!

I got back home to North Myrtle Beach from Richmond, Va. yesterday afternoon. I kept my OHANA SK-38 out of the direct sunlight in it's gig bag. We only made short "stop and goes" while traveling and while visiting family took it inside with me. I had worried as you, but all seemed to work-out fine. Hope you have a great visit down here on the "strand"!

This makes me feel a lot better! (Although its a 13 hour drive for me instead of 6!! :)

When I have anything heat sensitive, rather chance having it sit in sunlight, I either put it on the floor and cover it with a towel or leave it on the back seat but place my windshield sun reflector over it.

Top Bottom