Where can I go to play K brands in WA?

Rick

Reaction score
I'm going to buy a KoAloha tenor really soon, but I want to play one first. I live in Washington state and don't have many options to leave the state to play one. Does anyone know where I can get my hands on one or any other high end ukulele in Washington? Hopefully near the wedge!

Yeah- I emailed them not long ago inquiring about getting a KoAloha from them with the intent of throwing a few bucks toward my local shop. Unfortunately, they said they didn't have any, and when they order them, they take a long time to get in. :)

I just did the 'Ukulele Tour of Portland' a few weeks ago, and didn't see too much high-end stuff. Pioneer music had a few Collings ukes, and a nice vintage Style 2 Martin, but that was about it. Certainly didn't see any K-brand stuff anywhere.

I go to Dusty strings a lot and they have Kamaka's. They usually have some other fun ukes like Collin's(amazing!), Loprinzi, Pono, Koolau etc...Never a KoAloha. I think there is a place in Renton that has some good ukes but I can't remember the name.

I would second checking out Black Bear in Yakima. I have a solid koa uke from Duane that has better craftsmanship than my Pikake although it's not as loud. It does have a richer, more complex tone though. It also has fan bracing IIRC and that's unusual for a soprano uke. cheers, g

Hey Rick, I have a concert KoAloha and live in Edmonds, you would be welcome to come over and play it if you want. I also have a Kanilea Tenor and a bunch of Pono's if you want to do some test drives. I don't mind.

Yeah- I emailed them not long ago inquiring about getting a KoAloha from them with the intent of throwing a few bucks toward my local shop. Unfortunately, they said they didn't have any, and when they order them, they take a long time to get in. :)

I just did the 'Ukulele Tour of Portland' a few weeks ago, and didn't see too much high-end stuff. Pioneer music had a few Collings ukes, and a nice vintage Style 2 Martin, but that was about it. Certainly didn't see any K-brand stuff anywhere.

I once played a new KoAloha pineapple soprano at Portland's Artichoke Music. Beautiful ukulele, but I'd already spent my ukulele budget for the year. Artichoke occasionally gets nice used ukuleles; the last one I played there was a 70s Kamaka standard. Also beautiful.

Of course the key words here are "once" and "occasionally". Most times I swing by Artichoke its Flukes, Fleas, and Kalas. Still fun browsing, but not quite as fun.

I recommend doing that Portland ukulele tour once every couple months or so. Great vintage options are always showing up at both Artichoke and Pioneer, and if you're lucky you could end up at Artichoke on KoAloha day.

The Renton store Mouthy mentioned is A Sharp Music. Great store helpful staff. They have mainly Kalas and don't have any K brands. They do have a nice Martin on consignment there though.

As far as I know, there are no K brands at Artichoke in PDX.

I've seen KoAlohas there in the past, but it's been quite a while.

Pioneer sometimes has Mya Moes in, too.

Hey Rick, I have a concert KoAloha and live in Edmonds, you would be welcome to come over and play it if you want. I also have a Kanilea Tenor and a bunch of Pono's if you want to do some test drives. I don't mind.

That'd be pretty cool actually! I'll see when I have time to come down. It's looking like I won't have another opportunity to play a KoAloha so might as well. I've played a Kanilea Tenor (the one with the Hawaiian inlay) and a Kamaka HF-3 but they aren't as appealing as KoAloha's. I will check out the stores you guys posted, and thanks for the replies!

I should be around all weekend with some exceptions like friday nite and some in n outs. Bring some ukes for me to try to. I have about 15 so u can have a ball!

Top Bottom