G String question

luko.tw

Reaction score
Good Evening,

I have a Lanikai CK-T (love it), tuned GCEA. I was trying to go from high G down an octave to low G, just to experiment with the sound a bit. But it doesn't want to stay there. It keeps going sharp, after a min, it's already up half a step.

Noob question lol, do I need a different string if I tune it low? The tuning key isn't moving. Strings (D'addario) are only a couple weeks old (possible cause?)

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

-Woody

Temperture does affect some strings more...when it gets chilly here I notice my strings on a particular uke go up an octave..

Good Evening,

I have a Lanikai CK-T (love it), tuned GCEA. I was trying to go from high G down an octave to low G, just to experiment with the sound a bit. But it doesn't want to stay there. It keeps going sharp, after a min, it's already up half a step.

Noob question lol, do I need a different string if I tune it low? The tuning key isn't moving. Strings (D'addario) are only a couple weeks old (possible cause?)

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

-Woody

Yup, you need a low G string. There won't be enough tension using a high G. A lot of places online will sell a single low G or you can use a classical guitar's D string (or so I've been told).

Hey... if you need a Low G string let me know. They are wound (some arent, but your your experiment I would recommend the wound). The beauty of the wound is it is not very thick as if you were doing a nygut Low G, so if you are just trying it out, you can try it out without widening the slot. If you wanted to keep it Low G, you may want to widen the slot. I digress...

I will hook you up for as little as possible. They are easy to throw into an envelope and send out! Also, I have a ton of them! So as long as you dont mind that I am going to take it out of the packaging and to throw it in a regular envelope sometime tomorrow and send it snail mail, I will hook ya up. PM me!

Just when you put a wound Low G on be careful. If you kink the string at all, it can cause buzzing. I had a Lanikai that I spent HOURS setting up (LONG STORY). Got it PERFECT... then remembered they wanted Low G. Threw the Low G on and it buzzed! NOOOOO!... I had kinked it and just had to use a different string. But I hate to waste.

Last edited:
The problem is probably since you had it strung at proper tension it wants to go back up. I experience this all the time when changing tunings on my guitars, it will either want to revert up or down depending on what was the tension.

Many contributors have opined that wound, low G strings "boom", and tend to overpower the other strings. I agree, and also did not like the "squeak" as my finger moved on the wound string. After much experimenting, my favorite combo is a Worth, BM, low G with Aquilas on 1, 2, & 3. Worth strings are double length, so you get two, low Gs in a set, which makes it worth the price.

I just reread the thread title and had to chuckle ;)

Temperture does affect some strings more...when it gets chilly here I notice my strings on a particular uke go up an octave..

An octave ? That would be a complete scale, I would think strings and ukulele would break.

Thanks so much for the replies!

I think I will try out the Worth first. Mim you said widen the slot are you talking about between the neck and the headstock? I'm on an island in the middle of the north pacific, and I'm hesitant to make the mods myself.

Thanks again, I didn't even think about how I titled the heading LOL

-Woody

Last edited:
Top Bottom