Yes... Straps

strange62

Reaction score
I know there are plenty of strap threads... but I wanted to see if anything new was out.

I am nervous about the sound hole strap, mainly because I am clumsy. I hear people use mandolin straps... any feedback on that?

I am looking for a strap for my Oscar Schmidt OU7TE

Thanks!

Have you considered the Uke Leash? One of the members here at UU designed and sells them. They are quite good, and I use one all the time when I play my Pineapple Sunday uke - I wouldn't play it without it. It eliminates the need for a soundhole strap -- and it is wearable in different manners.

For my tenor ukes, I do use a mandolin style strap and just tie off the top at the headstock, but the uke leash would probably work fine on those as well - I just find the mandolin strap more comfortable for the larger ukes.

Check out the uke leash here: http://www.ukeleash.com/

put a strap button on it . i have one on both my OS tenors easy to do and cheap. then use any strap u want. I have an old plain woven fender strap ive had for years soft & comfortable, tied to the headstock works great. or you can get some really fancy braided mandolin straps. i have an excelent sound hole strap but I worry about droppin it as Ive been know to be a bit clumsy.

I use mandolin straps on my two concerts, and I think I'd use them on any uke I wanted to play. It really facilitates taking my uke along with me. For instance, it's great for bringing a uke to a party; you can still use both hands to pick up drinks and food and drinks and drinks and stuff, and not have to put it down somewhere where you'll forget it (because of all the drinks and stuff) or have someone sit on it (same).

I have a black mandolin strap with a red chili pepper pattern I used on my Risa tenor electric.............cooler'n poop!

I use a mandolin strap as well on my concert. Strap button at the bottom tied with shoestring at the neck.

I've seen strap buttons at the heel of the neck but the instrument was neck heavy and still had to be held up.

That uke leash is interesting and clever but at first I thought it would only do half the job for me. Looks like there's an accessory that turns it into a full strap.

I'm going to attempt to make a type of sling that is fastened at the neck, fits beneath the body, goes around my own neck and is fastened at the headstock of the uke. We work a lot with lambskin and often have parts left over and I can think of nothing more gentle to cradle my uke in. No idea if it will work of course !

I experienced playing with a strap at uwc, and realized that my ukulele needed strap buttons like asap. I put it off for forever, but I finally bit the bullet, gave guitar center ten bucks for strap buttons and told them to drill holes in my ukulele. It took the guy all of about 7 seconds and they didn't even charge me for it. then I bought a lovely, lovely guitar strap from this lady on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop/jstephens13?section_id=7661902 and I am such a huge fan. It was a good idea, I only wish I'd done it sooner.

It was a good idea, I only wish I'd done it sooner.

That was my reaction after getting my first strap button installed too. I'd been really resistant to the idea, and didn't want anybody drilling holes in my Kamaka... But all it took was one for me to realize it was a good thing. I swear it makes me play at least 20% better than without!

I'm a huge fan of these mandolin straps on my ukes. Yes, I even use them on my sopranos :)

I've got something along the same lines on my tenor. I don't know the brand; it's something my local music store suggested when I asked about a strap. I had a second strap button put on my tiple, and now I use a guitar strap on it.

On my Kiwaya K-Wave, I was using something that just ties behind the strings around the headstock. But since I switched to a wound low G, it seems to be rubbing against the string and causing a buzz. I just ordered a Kala strap off of Amazon. It requires at least one strap button, and the K-Wave comes with two. I did a search on the UU forum looking for opinions on the Kala strap, and I couldn't find any, for or against.

Edit: Not buzzing the way we usually use that word on UU. It's just making some overtones that sound annoying from my side of the uke.

Last edited:
Top Bottom