Entry guitar

PoiDog

Reaction score
Aloha!

So, here's my situation: I've never played a guitar before. In fact, I've only ever held a guitar twice in my life, and neither time was within recent memory.

I'm currently enjoying the joys of 'ukulele, and have a feeling that no matter what, it will always be my instrument of choice. But since playing that, there's been a growing curiosity in me about trying to play guitar, too. I'm sure the transition won't be simple, but I'm hoping being comfortable on the former will make adapting to the latter a bit smoother.

Anyway, I have to questions: First, is learning guitar easier if one comes from an 'ukulele first? And second, what is a strong, reliable, and quality guitar maker? Nothing top of the line, but not a throw-away starter. Something along the lines of a Pono, Big Island, or Mainland equivalent (as opposed to the entry level Lanikai or Kala)? Is about $300 adequate to pick up a decent guitar?

Oh, I'm likely only interested in acoustic or classical, and something smaller than a dreadnaught.

Mahalo nui loa!

$300 should get you something fairly decent. Your location says Santa Monica, so you should head on over to McCabe's and see what they've got.

Never owned one, but I've heard good things about the Yamaha classicals for their price range. Classicals generally have a slightly wider neck than acoustics.

Two more strings and the same number of fingers. Also, if steel string you will have to toughen up your finger pads. Great starter (in my opinion, the best for the money) is a Yamaha of your liking. For $300 you should be able to get a used one that will last for many years. A new one will be available at your price, but not as nice. Many accomplished players play these because you don't have to cringe at a slight ding. Be sure to check out the Acoustic Guitar Forum. Like UU, it is a friendly place with lots of help available. Also, guitars are sold there and if it's someone that others vouch for, you can buy with confidence. Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info, guys. My guitar days are still off in the future, but at least now I have some sort of jumping-off point.

Mahalo

Yamaha, LaPatrie, Takamine. Personally, I prefer Yamaha and have found their quality-control to be the best.

Cordoba makes some good-sounding guitars but I'm reluctant to recommend them to a newcomer because my friends have encountered a variety of quality-control issues. I've encountered quality control issues with their ukuleles. That's not to say I haven't found good instruments from them, but I know how to inspect for problems and potential problems.

Ditto on Yamaha. They are the best quality for the buck for acoustics in your price range.

Top Bottom