Remebering Nan

joeybug

Reaction score
Hey everyone :D

Okay, so I guess most of you know that last month my great-nan passed away after a relatively short battle with dementia. It's been hard on all of the family, especially my dad, she was his grandmother, but she raised him and he saw her more as a mother, he's been devastated.

Before she died, she lived in a nursing home and had retreated into her own past, she didn't recognise me but a few times when I visited her I played Hoa/Hope and sang to her, Dad said she always seemed calmer after that, it was something that meant a lot to him and to me.

Anyway, this evening I was browsing a few websites and Dad phoned, before I got Hope, I was planning to buy myself an Eleuke as my "electric" Uke, but found that they didn't sell them in the UK anymore and I would have to pay 20% VAT once it arrived if I ordered from outside the EU. I know there were a few available on an EU website but I didn't like the design. So, I tell my Dad that I'm looking at Eleukes on Mim's website (or more to the point her Ebay store) and am wishing that I had some spare $$'s and he asks why and I explain...

He inherited most of Nan's estate and told me that since I was passionate about the Uke, had stuck with it, taught myself and since Nan had so enjoyed our evenings together, even though she never recognised me, he would lend/give me the money to buy an Eleuke!

So, I'm looking at Mim's eBay store some more and although I had my eyes set on the Violet one, I have fallen in love with this It's a little more expensive than the Violet one, and with shipping and customs it may be too much for me to ask Dad for so I'm not 100% sure which one I will get, but I hope to order in a couple of weeks!

I'm Pm'd Mim because I know she's the ONE to go to RE: Eleukes and hoping to hear back soon :D

SO EXCITED!!

Just wanted to share it with you all!

Joey

That's real nice Joey. It's amazing how therapeutic music can be for those suffering with dementia. The time you spent with your nana playing your ukes must also have had a big impression on your dad too.

That mahogany ukulele is beautiful. I'm sure that whichever ukulele you choose, you'll love it to pieces (figuratively) because of the way it will always be connected to, and remind you of, your Nan. It's great that you were able to make such an important contribution to your Nan's life when she needed it most. I'm sure you'll cherish those memories forever.

sorry to hear about your nan, but I'm glad you were able to help her out a bit with your ukulele playing. whichever uke you get, you'll love, I'm sure. And plus, you're in the best of hands, because Mim is the WOMAN.

Aloha Joey,
Sorry to hear the loss of your nan....it must be devasting for your dad....yes dementia is very devasting..my father too had a short time too after he got it too....I only wished he had lived
long enough for him to see me playing the uke...Actually after he passed I was going though his room and found his old ukulele books and asked my cousin to play at his service..it was the
most beautiful thing I ever heard and I got choked up...It was that moment I decided to pick up the uke again....Yes Mim is the Gal to go to.. I know your Nan would have wanted to get you one..
and I'm sure she will be listening to you playing it..

You have great taste in ukes.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a family story about older relatives and ukes. I have an aunt who is 88 years old. She is my late mother's identical twin sister, and she helped raise me. She can be a little bit difficult to deal with sometimes, but I love her heaps. Unfortunately she won't let me play the uke when I visit her. I've told her that when she starts to slip away with dementia I'll bring it in and play for her all the time, and so far she has not lost one ounce of her mental faculties. I'm sure that's a good thing, even though I am a little bit put out at her lack of good taste in music.

That's real nice Joey. It's amazing how therapeutic music can be for those suffering with dementia. The time you spent with your nana playing your ukes must also have had a big impression on your dad too.

Thanks, we had a visit from my aunt on my mother's side who still talks with my dad even though they're divorced and we had a long chat about Ukuleles and my playing and Dad said something about how I'd brought comfort to Nan when everyone else tried and couldn't....I think he just meant that when I played it took her back to a calmer time in her life (she was 93!) and it helped her relax and just let go of all the hassles...

That mahogany ukulele is beautiful. I'm sure that whichever ukulele you choose, you'll love it to pieces (figuratively) because of the way it will always be connected to, and remind you of, your Nan. It's great that you were able to make such an important contribution to your Nan's life when she needed it most. I'm sure you'll cherish those memories forever.

I will cherish them, it's something I'm so glad I did, even though I was worried she'd hate it because I wasn't that good (at playing or singing!) Thanks

Aloha Joey,
Sorry to hear the loss of your nan....it must be devasting for your dad....yes dementia is very devasting..my father too had a short time too after he got it too....I only wished he had lived
long enough for him to see me playing the uke...Actually after he passed I was going though his room and found his old ukulele books and asked my cousin to play at his service..it was the
most beautiful thing I ever heard and I got choked up...It was that moment I decided to pick up the uke again....Yes Mim is the Gal to go to.. I know your Nan would have wanted to get you one..
and I'm sure she will be listening to you playing it..

It has been devastating for Dad and all of us really, but it was down to you that I even went to play for her in the first place, so thank you for planting the seed!

sorry to hear about your nan, but I'm glad you were able to help her out a bit with your ukulele playing. whichever uke you get, you'll love, I'm sure. And plus, you're in the best of hands, because Mim is the WOMAN.

I'm not trying to choose between a soprano Violet or a Rosewood, and Mim is taking very good care of me!

You have great taste in ukes.

I hope you don't mind me sharing a family story about older relatives and ukes. I have an aunt who is 88 years old. She is my late mother's identical twin sister, and she helped raise me. She can be a little bit difficult to deal with sometimes, but I love her heaps. Unfortunately she won't let me play the uke when I visit her. I've told her that when she starts to slip away with dementia I'll bring it in and play for her all the time, and so far she has not lost one ounce of her mental faculties. I'm sure that's a good thing, even though I am a little bit put out at her lack of good taste in music.

I think it was something she would have tolerated when she was "with it" but I guess as the dementia took her facilities it was something she was able to listen to and just relax, thanks for sharing your story, I hope you're able to do something similar for your Aunt when the time comes!

I've now decided that the Mahogany although pretty and lovely, is a little bit too much w/ shipping and customs and such, so I've had another look at Mim's eBay and she has some Violet Sopranos!!! So, it's that one or a Rosewood.. help me choose!!

It's the Soprano Violet or the Soprano Rosewood Decisions, decisions!

Which one is singing out to you? Ask Mim if either of them have volunteered to move to the UK.

Which one is singing out to you? Ask Mim if either of them have volunteered to move to the UK.

Lol...to be honest the Rosewood, may have to persuade it to move over here for a while!

Aloha Joey,
think about the concert.....ha ha they are small...my concert doesn't feel like one...just want to throw that into the equation...

I'll have a think, but although I've played one, I just prefer the soprano size, will have a think about it before I decide!

Aloha Joey,
think about the concert.....ha ha they are small...my concert doesn't feel like one...just want to throw that into the equation...

The body of my tenor is about the size of my makala dolphin.. they are small. Neck is bigger though. I have no trouble switching between the sizes.

The body of my tenor is about the size of my makala dolphin.. they are small. Neck is bigger though. I have no trouble switching between the sizes.

Hmm, thanks for the info, may have to upgrade to a bigger size, I'm just loving the soprano and don't see me doing enough soloing/playing/finger picking to need the larger neck

Top Bottom