Flatwound or tapewound strings?

ichadwick

Reaction score
Am thinking of swapping the roundwounds on my Epi for either flatwound or tapewound. Anyone have any experience with either?

I have flatwounds on my Fender. I can't imagine going back, they play so beautifully. They don't sound the same, though, they're more mellow.

I'm currently using a Southcoast G-650 set with flatwound G and C around a soft steel core on a Pono MPT-E tenor. These are amazing strings. You can in no way sense they are steel core strings. I call them organic in feel. Very balanced with the trebles and just the right amount of tension and volume. Used round wounds before and don't think I'll ever go back.

I always use flat wounds. My favorite are d'Addario Chromes. Flats on a Fender Precision is an unbeatable combination!

My experience follows. I am not a base player. I have used them because flat wounds do not squeek like the round wounds, but my experience is they do not have the punch. They are commonly used on archtop guitars (jazz). I have a set on an F hole archtop with electronics. I have never used them on anything but an arch top guitar. To me, they seem quite dead when played without an amp. They are also expensive.

Last edited:
Top Bottom