Lanikai SMP-TCA Ukulele Review

Bao

Reaction score
Before i begin, i would like to state the i'm not a professional player and i've only ever touched a few mahalos and owned a Kala tenor.

Construction
As the Lanikai site says, this Lanikai Exotic Tenor Acoustic/Electric Ukulele features a solid top, back, and sides, slotted headstock, Grover gold-plated tuning machines, rosewood
fingerboard and bridge. The neck is a five piece maple and rosewood skunk stripe,Ovangkol on the sides of the neck flowing into the back stripe of the body. Nice Design features. And it is ALL SOLID WOOD!
I think that Lanikai has done an amazing job with the whole ukulele, i'm loving every aspect of the ukulele. It was set up by Hawaii Music Supply and they did a really great job with it too ! Amazing action compared to the other tenor i played in the past, the Kala KA-TE

Tuning and Sound
I slapped some Aquila nylgut strings on this baby and i'm loving the sound of it. It is slightly louder as compared to the Kala KA-TE. Amazing intonation. Keeps in tune really well once the strings have stretched out completely. People have come up to me and told me that this sounded better than my Kala KA-TE which i played before, not sure if they are just being nice or not but i still love the sound better. When plugged in, it responds well with the volume and tone settings. Link below is a video of me playing "Crazy G" on the Lanikai SMP-TCA plugged in. It is also much easier to play compared to the KALA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yw_f93HZIFo&feature=channel_video_title

The Case
The case that i recieved free from Hawaii Music Supply was a bit larger than the ukulele itself and so there is quite a bit of space in the case. I still need to fill it out with something.

Complaints
Nothing really, i love this ukulele to bits. Only bad thing was that there was a crack on the side due to the pick up input being screwed in too tightly.

Overall, i'm loving it

It has withstood the climate of Australia without the need of Humidifiers so far (i've owned it for a couple of months already). It has not cracked or anything at the moment which i'm glad.

I hope this review has been helpful to those insearch for one of these ukuleles.

Last edited:
Nice uke! Sorry the link is no longer on Hawaiimusicsupply to hear how amazing that uke sounds with Ko'olau Alhoi Low G strings on it.

I've performed, busked and played with this uke everywhere !
I'm still loving it to bits.
When i had to change the strings though, that was a real pain but once it was done, i was playing like crazy again !

Top Bottom