PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for tenor with pickup.

nogard
06-29-2011, 05:51 AM
I am thinking of buying a tenor ukulele with pickup. My price range is about $400 (little more or little less is fine). I went online and looked at some of them, but it seems that there are not so many reviews of ukulele in that price range.
I have an eye on this Lanikai: http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/lanikai-all-solid-monkey-pod-tenor-w-active-fishman-pickup-preamp, but I am not sure about the quality. Would you recommend this one, or any one for that matter?
I know! I wish I could spend $600 or more, but my budget is tight. I already have a soprano Lanikai and my brother has a Riptide. If you were me, with $400 in your pocket, what tenor ukulele with pickup would you buy?
Thanks,

23skidoo
06-29-2011, 05:54 AM
I would get this one (http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/product.sc?productId=62&categoryId=7) from Mainland ukes. They seem like a good value and sound great.

This Riptide (http://cargo.ukerepublic.com/product/riptide-solid-mahogany-deluxe-a-e)from Uke Republic looks interesting, as well.....

RichM
06-29-2011, 06:15 AM
If you're buying new, I'll second the recommendation on Mainland. If used, Pono and Honu might slip into your price range.

Kimosabe
06-29-2011, 06:59 AM
I'd go with either a Kala archtop or a Riptide. I have two archtops and a friend has the Riptide. Very happy. I also have a Kanilea.

BBQUKER
06-29-2011, 07:12 AM
I will also second the Mainland that 23 skidoo suggested. I have that same exact uke and I love it. The Mi-Si pickup is awesome.

Dan

Ukulele JJ
06-29-2011, 07:20 AM
Speaking of which... does anyone have or know of a YouTube clip or something of a Mainland with a Mi-Si plugged in direct?

Not a Mainland miked acoustically. And not a Mainland with a Mi-Si run through an amp that's miked. But a direct, plugged-smack-into-the-dang-computer example of what it sounds like.

Just curious.

JJ

mcwhitlow
06-29-2011, 07:43 AM
Speaking of which... does anyone have or know of a YouTube clip or something of a Mainland with a Mi-Si plugged in direct?

Not a Mainland miked acoustically. And not a Mainland with a Mi-Si run through an amp that's miked. But a direct, plugged-smack-into-the-dang-computer example of what it sounds like.

Just curious.

JJ

Yeah I second this request.

ukulovely
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Yeah I second this request.

Okay, I third this request.

Great to find this thread today, btw, looking for the same thing. Have heard such good things about the MiSi and really need a good pickup system.

poppy
06-29-2011, 03:23 PM
KA-KTGE-CT this one is at HMS also and if i didn't have 2 tenors I would order it the sound bite is awsum and the uke is vvvnice solid cedar top and koa with no cut away! 439 so its a couple more dollars but has a top shelf hard case. there is a cutaway version also but its 499 and i like this one better lol. personal choice . course theres a great sailor right now for 350 in our sale section belongs to nuprin and its gorgeous.

ukulovely
06-29-2011, 04:32 PM
KA-KTGE-CT this one is at HMS also and if i didn't have 2 tenors I would order it the sound bite is awsum and the uke is vvvnice solid cedar top and koa with no cut away! 439 so its a couple more dollars but has a top shelf hard case. there is a cutaway version also but its 499 and i like this one better lol. personal choice . course theres a great sailor right now for 350 in our sale section belongs to nuprin and its gorgeous.

Oh, my! http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/kala-ka-ktge-c-ct-koa-glosscedar-top-tenor-cutaway-w-eq
Looks like the 439 version w/o cutaway has no pickup. This is beautiful! Thanks (I think) for the rec! Off to sell some stuff....

ukulovely
06-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Sorry, now I see Poppy meant this one for $439.
http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/kala-cedarkoa-tenor-w-bellcat-pickup-oahu-hardshell-case

the52blues
06-29-2011, 04:53 PM
One word of caution. I have had a Kala Jazz archtop for a while now and love it to death however...when the plug-in doubles as the strap holder if you use a strap the constant back and forth motion of putting it over your head eventually loosens the connection. When I buy my next electric uke I will look for one that has a separate plug-in on the lower rear bout and a normal strap button. It seems no one makes a strap with a larger hole to go over the combo plugs so the strap is always too tight thus loosening the plug-in. As I have done with the last few guitars and now ukes I prefer to buy a NON-electric uke and have a pick-up installed the way I want it.

diego
06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Darn, can't decide now, I see the Archtop on a site, but I might go with the idea of a custom installed pickup on a uke of choice

patico
06-30-2011, 03:02 PM
hey.. i was in the same quest some weeks ago. i finally ordered the mainland tenor w/ pickup.
it should be arriving here within the next 7 days.

if you can wait to make the decision, i'll post a demo as soon as i get the uku in my hands

ukulovely
06-30-2011, 05:22 PM
Interesting! I also, after all, decided on a Mainland (hog) tenor with pickup. I really love that ukulele. Have to sell a few things first, though. Will look forward to your demo.

Ukulele JJ
06-30-2011, 05:23 PM
i'll post a demo as soon as i get the uku in my hands

That would be awesome!

JJ

nogard
07-01-2011, 02:21 AM
hey.. i was in the same quest some weeks ago. i finally ordered the mainland tenor w/ pickup.
it should be arriving here within the next 7 days.

if you can wait to make the decision, i'll post a demo as soon as i get the uku in my hands

I'll wait! Thank you very much!

For everyone else, thanks a lot for your suggestion! I still have no idea which one I should get though. My brother got a Riptide, and because I can play his ukulele, I think I will try another brand. I went to Guitar Center, and a local music store, but they didn't have any ukulele that I like. The internet, on the other hand, provides countless models, but I can't test them. Argh...!!! So hard!

What do you think about the Lanikai I have an eye on (http://www.theukulelesite.com/ukulelemarket/lanikai-all-solid-monkey-pod-tenor-w-active-fishman-pickup-preamp)? It looks so good, but I am not sure how it sounds.

poppy
07-01-2011, 08:02 AM
there is a sound strip right in the add on your link!

raecarter
07-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Everyone go towards my page www.youtube.com/raecarter82 there are a few mainland tenor clips on my page live at gigs plugged directly into a di box going into a pa. For the record they are brilliant

raecarter
07-01-2011, 08:20 AM
Here's a link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVXoJOFh884&feature=youtube_gdata_player

raecarter
07-01-2011, 08:21 AM
And another hope this helps http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJvl1_jxiwc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

raecarter
07-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Did this help?

nogard
07-02-2011, 02:52 AM
Did this help?

It's hard to just listen to the sound of the ukulele with everything else to go with it. I am not saying I do not enjoy the whole piece, but just to listen to the ukulele, it's not easy :-).
Nice show, by the way. Where is it? And how do you get to perform?

ukulovely
07-02-2011, 04:51 AM
Did this help?

It was good to hear how well that pickup works in a noisy venue. I also listened to that first vid, Comets, on your YouTube channel... that one is more helpful for hearing the uke unplugged. Thanks!!

raecarter
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Hi guys glad it helped somewhat. There is no feedback or interference at all with the misi it is truly incredible. If started by being invited to play a gig as I was getting a few views on youtube and a band i know said I could support them. A local manager saw the gig and now books me for venues I am also recording a song funded by his label. I only do it as I enjoy it. It's worth noting me uke is tuned to baritone I would go back to when it first got it in my videos to hear it in c

Ukulele JJ
07-02-2011, 11:37 AM
Did this help?

Yup. Thanks!

But if you get the chance and have the capability to do so, I'd love to hear it completely direct (rather than through a PA). That'd be sweet!

JJ

raecarter
07-03-2011, 06:29 AM
I'll try and do it tomorrow for you through my Marshall amp