Strumming technique

nogard

Reaction score
I have a question about a particular strumming technique: See this video of "Mach 4" played by Kalei Gamiao:

I was wondering what strumming (a name?) he used in the first 20 seconds of the song and how he did it. I think he used his index finger to strum up and down at a fast speed. When I tried that, my finger did not go smoothly, it kind of got stuck, and even though it stuck for only a very short amount of time, it disrupted the strumming. Do you have any tips?

Thanks,

That's called "tremolo". It's a classic technique. Your wrist should be a bit bent and shake those fingers quickly and steadily---only your first finger should hit the strings. You'll get quicker and steadier with practice. For me, the trick to steadiness is to find a good angle between my first finger and the strings.

Just keep at it, it'll come eventually!

Appears to me that he is using 3 or possibly 4 fingers plus occasional thumb in a fast "fan" type motion. I'm sure a much more experienced player than I will clarify.

Please disregard my post. One did before my post! That is one fast, multi-string, nice sounding tremolo!

Last edited:
That's called "tremolo". It's a classic technique. Your wrist should be a bit bent and shake those fingers quickly and steadily---only your first finger should hit the strings. You'll get quicker and steadier with practice. For me, the trick to steadiness is to find a good angle between my first finger and the strings.

Just keep at it, it'll come eventually!

I thought tremolo is when you use three fingers to play on one string. I guess tremolo for guitar and for ukulele are different.
Thanks for the information :)!

"tremolo" is a broad term, so it's easy to get confused, but it usually is means "quickly repeated note or notes".

With Classical guitar, piano and harpsichord "tremolo" is generally a single note repeated to recreate a sustained singing sound.
On an electric guitar amp tremolo is a pulsating effect on volume and tone.
With violins and bowed strings tremolo is a a fast repetition of notes for a textural effect.
Vocalists use vibrato to simulate tremolo, as an effect.

To use tremolo on guitar and ukulele, make sure your right hand is super relaxed... zero tension in the upper body and arm. That's really the key.

Top Bottom