Yasuma tu-1 tenor ukulele on ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was bought and returned. Apparently the well known luthier who looked at it was dismissive of the brand and the uke itself

I have only ever got two ukes that didn't need to be setup, so be forewarned that the saddle would need to come down a lot. I just did one of my new uke's saddles by rubbing it carefully over a file. The saddle on my particular Yasuma was double the height it needed to be. My mom's Martin is high as well.

The other thing to watch out for is that the seller apparently shilled the uke at the last minute with a 0 feedback ID. Whoever really wins it will get it by the "high bidder defaulting" and getting a second chance offer, so don't bid any more that you are willing to pay! The seller actually needs to be reported for that. It's hard to prove but eBay can figure it out easily.

It was bought and returned. Apparently the well known luthier who looked at it was dismissive of the brand and the uke itself

I have only ever got two ukes that didn't need to be setup, so be forewarned that the saddle would need to come down a lot. I just did one of my new uke's saddles by rubbing it carefully over a file. The saddle on my particular Yasuma was double the height it needed to be. My mom's Martin is high as well.

The other thing to watch out for is that the seller apparently shilled the uke at the last minute with a 0 feedback ID. Whoever really wins it will get it by the "high bidder defaulting" and getting a second chance offer, so don't bid any more that you are willing to pay! The seller actually needs to be reported for that. It's hard to prove but eBay can figure it out easily.

So there was a dispute from the final buyer and he returned it?? What do you mean dismissive of brand? Is it a fake?

I was just personally surprised the luthier didn't think it was worth slipping the saddle out and trying a different one. (I often pull a tall saddle and just tune up over the bridge to see what the action is and check for room. I am currently playing my Halekoa saddle-less and it has great intonation and action, and old Kamakas are built without a saddle). It will take a standard Martin bone saddle blank. No offense was meant to the luthier at all; I gather there was an obviously unhappy buyer who was shilled which is reason enough to be unhappy, a busy builder who could easily think "Japanese piece o' crap" and say send it back so it wouldn't be his problem, and it could plain be a bad uke, as any used instrument can have issues. My only involvement was that I spotted it because I have an eBay search set up for Yasuma, and I posted it here since they are generally well thought of and usually go for a reasonable price.

The brand isn't well known now outside of enthusiasts and Martin fans. It is a defunct 1950 -70s company that blueprinted Martin ukes and guitars and built copies to Martin specs. Thin Martin neck, fat rounded frets, pin bridge. Not a fake, not a knockoff, a well built copy. Looks just like a 1960s era Martin but has black binding instead of tortoise. Kind of like getting a Keiiki Kamaka. They are lightly built, my Yasuma tenor weighs 534 grams, my Kanile'a 528 grams. Hard to find and considered collectible. The seller I bought mine from was a little sleazy too, but the joke on them was that supposedly one was a uke player and liked their new Ohana laminate better. Maybe because (they said) the "guitar pro" strung it up with "new" (absolute crap clear nylon guitar) "strings" (that had awful tension and choked the real voice completely out of it). I didn't even tune it up all the way, just took them right off and put on Worth Brown medium strings.

I am not any kind of expert, please don't anyone bid on this uke who isn't willing to check it over and who doesn't know how to set up a uke themselves, or knows someone who can, and who can't afford it if it is a clunker, or is willing to do battle to send it back for a refund (though if the seller shills it again, the magic words for a full refund are "I'm making a shill report to eBay", though possibly eBay no longer cares because it means more fees in their deep greedy pockets). I can only report my observations on the one that is in my hands. I had access to a Martin baritone for awhile, wanted a Martin tenor, this is it for me for about a third of what a Martin in the condition mine is in would bring. They could well be somewhat hit or miss like the real Martin tenor's reputation, but I haven't come across any owners online when I was researching them who didn't wonder about their Yasuma guitar, uke, tiple, or mandolin and think they had the only one, or who would part with theirs.

It's all personal preferences as well. It's a shame this seller is shady. Someone to whom the money isn't an issue probably wouldn't mind taking a chance, but could also probably afford a Martin. If the previous buyer had been close to me location wise I would have taken a look at it. I have seen maybe four tenors and two sopranos in the last year come up for sale, I bought one of the tenors, you can see the pics still posted on Uke Yak (by the seller) at FMM. If I had to choose between it and my Kanile'a, the Yasuma is brighter and cleaner sounding, and they are still making Kanile'as. The K is more resonant and bell like though they are close. Strings may play a part here, the Y has Worth Browns, the K Worth Clears. In my experience the clears have more ring and sustain, which the K exhibits.

That is all I can report for anyone here thinking on it. I would say best of luck to you, and though it wasn't a good fit for the other buyer, it might be for someone looking for a vintage mahogany tenor. Or not. :p

PS: I should note that I have both tenors tuned down a step, the K is linear and the Y reentrant. I also like the Yasuma in dGBE on tenor strings. I don't like the tension on the Yasuma in C, but I don't like the K much better. Mostly because my arthritis hurts so much.

Last edited:
Not really, there was never a lawsuit, but they are a direct copy, yes. Here's a guitar link, I was sure there was a uke video somewhere but can't find one.

This one is awesome however, it's a 3D computer animation of a Yasuma guitar, figure he may be playing one for the soundtrack, but the technical quality on the work is super.

Sorry, I haven't been online in a few days and just saw this... I'm the person who actually bid on it. It was supposed to be in great condition, except when it arrived, I saw that the bridge was pulling up and would have to be repaired. I got estimates of $60+ depending on amount of work. I was also told that the body was a little warped too from the strings pulling on the bridge. As Teek says, "please don't anyone bid on this uke who isn't willing to check it over and who doesn't know how to set up a uke themselves, or knows someone who can, and who can't afford it if it is a clunker, or is willing to do battle to send it back for a refund ". The seller told me they had the bridge issue fixed. I have no idea where or whom fixed it. Interesting they're not disclosing the work. To credit the seller, he/she did give me a full refund. I just had to pay the shipping for the return. As for the shilling issue, it was a little suspect that I won the bid from a "0" feedback user.

I asked him what was wrong with it as I heard it was returned and he took offense and banned me from bidding. No love lost on my side but beware if you bid.

Kimmy, that might be BS on the seller's part regarding you having to pay return shipping, eBay generally makes the seller provide return shipping. I have a screen cap of the bid history if you want to show it to eBay.

By the body warping are you saying there was a belly dip? I do see the cross brace right under the soundhole showing it's position under the soundboard in the photos, mine looks the same but it's solid and just looks like a thin top. I see that in a few of my older ukes. My modern ukes with fan bracing (or thick soundboards) don't show this.

Nongdam, the fact that you were banned from bidding is well, telling.

No apparent shilling this time though, the winning bid was placed with two seconds left. I wonder where it will show up next? :p

I'm sorry to say it ended up with me. I wish I had see/read this thread before I bid on it. I sent it back, because of the bridge issue (and insanely high action). I'm now waiting for my refund from the seller (who is reportedly "on vacation"). This is (one of) the down-side(s) of ebay.
>8^(

I'm sorry to say it ended up with me. I wish I had see/read this thread before I bid on it. I sent it back, because of the bridge issue (and insanely high action). I'm now waiting for my refund from the seller (who is reportedly "on vacation"). This is (one of) the down-side(s) of ebay.
>8^(

Ouch! Hopefully you get the money back as he might argue because he said he got it "serviced"

P.S. Welcome to UU...You'll learn a lot from this website. I never heard from Yausma before and was going to bid on it until I read this thread.

"Hopefully you get the money back as he might argue because he said he got it "serviced""

Yes- the servicing involved someone squeezing a glob of glue under the bridge, and then letting it dry in the pulled-up position. Unbelievable...

"Welcome to UU...You'll learn a lot from this website. I never heard from Yausma before and was going to bid on it until I read this thread."

Thanks! Glad to be here. I've owned two Yasumas before, and liked them both. This one is just a victim of bad stewardship/hack lutherie.

Wow. UUers twice burned. If it was the old days I could contact all the bidders if it went up again and post a link to this thread... eBay hasn't let anyone talk to someone they aren't in a transaction with for years now.

I hate seeing a good instrument ruined.

"I wonder where it will show up next?"

Well, I know this is an old thread, but (like a bad penny) its back. This time on the Santa Barbara Craigslist for $300. I'm assuming its the same seller(Carpinteria,CA)
Ad states it as had some "saddle repair"

http://santabarbara.craigslist.org/msg/2548867219.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom