New Uke Day! (Fender Nohea)

NYG010

Reaction score
So, just got my first uke ever the Fender Nohea (Koa Laminate)..I must say it sounds beautiful and looks gorgeous..I specifically got this because I knew I would want to pick it up and play it!

Anyway, I realize that the strings need some time to adjust (Aquila Nylgut) but this seems pretty ridiculous! I've been playing for about an hour or two and the strings get out of tune every 2 or 3 chords (Within seconds!!!) Am I doing something wrong? I keep tuning them back to GCEA and it keeps going out of whack in just seconds!!

Congrats on the new uke! And you aren't doing anything wrong, strings just take a while to stretch out. in a couple of days it'll hold a tune for a little longer, and eventually it'll get to a point where you'll barely have to tune them at all. just keep tuning it up to tension to get the strings to stretch out faster.

So, just got my first uke ever the Fender Nohea (Koa Laminate)..I must say it sounds beautiful and looks gorgeous..I specifically got this because I knew I would want to pick it up and play it!

Anyway, I realize that the strings need some time to adjust (Aquila Nylgut) but this seems pretty ridiculous! I've been playing for about an hour or two and the strings get out of tune every 2 or 3 chords (Within seconds!!!) Am I doing something wrong? I keep tuning them back to GCEA and it keeps going out of whack in just seconds!!

Yep, that is no problem. It will take a few days for the strings to settle unless you are playing a TON.

That's normal with nylon string instruments. You can speed up the stretching process by pulling gently upward on each string several times. Don't pull too hard to avoid breaking the string. In a day or two, the strings will settle in and won't need quite so much attention.

Awesome Thanks guys! I knew I just had to be patient :) .. Anyway here are a few photos guys. I know its no solid koa Pono but I'm very pleased with my first uke!
photojun2933557pm.jpg

photojun2933617pm.jpg

photojun2933606pm.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to hear your first uke is pleasing both your ears and your eyes---congratulations, NYG010! Looks real pretty to me, too.

I like to grab my new strings in pairs and give them a good shake. This seems to get that stretch going quickly. Also, I tune my uke up a step to ADF#B and play loudly for a while. But really, patience is the key. Some sets settle in a couple hours, some take a week. Play a lot, tune often. Have fun!

I find that Aquila Nylgut strings take up to two weeks to settle in, but once they do, they can hold their tuning for days at a time.

In a couple days you should be able to get through a whole song without a problem. In the meantime, just consider the stretching process as "tuning practice" :drool:

Congratulations on your new uke. It looks great, and I totally dig the Fender headstock.

Appreciate the help guys! Glad you like the Fender, have'nt heard to much about it on the forums!

Aloha NYG010,
Yup a former NYG...UWS ha ha...Yeah Aquila's can take a long time to break in...some weeks...I do this...To speed up the process, I bend each string individually from side to side 3-4 times and retune..do this to all the strings and repeat 3-4 times....every day till the strings have streched out...Hope it helps..MM Stan Congratulations on your new Nohea ukulele....MM Stan
Happy Strummings..

Aloha NYG010,
Yup a former NYG...UWS ha ha...Yeah Aquila's can take a long time to break in...some weeks...I do this...To speed up the process, I bend each string individually from side to side 3-4 times and retune..do this to all the strings and repeat 3-4 times....every day till the strings have streched out...Hope it helps..MM Stan Congratulations on your new Nohea ukulele....MM Stan
Happy Strummings..
Ah, a fellow NYG fan?

Welcome , You have heard all the good stiff on the strings already. I'm sure the fender wiil be a great uke My favorite guitar of all times is the tele that sets in my closet and if the ukes play nearly as well they will be great. I'm just to much of a purist I can't do the fender head on an acoustic lol. So I never bought one guitar or uke LOL. got to have a block on the end of the neck! I even hate the cutaway on my acustic electrics but i didn't want to wait for an install. again welcome.

Welcome , You have heard all the good stiff on the strings already. I'm sure the fender wiil be a great uke My favorite guitar of all times is the tele that sets in my closet and if the ukes play nearly as well they will be great. I'm just to much of a purist I can't do the fender head on an acoustic lol. So I never bought one guitar or uke LOL. got to have a block on the end of the neck! I even hate the cutaway on my acustic electrics but i didn't want to wait for an install. again welcome.

Different strokes for different folks! :) Thanks for the warm welcome!

Congrats on the new Fender they are very nice looking, have one myself.

like the sig

Just for reference, I put some Aquila strings on my Martin SO about a year ago. After a few weeks of tuning, now I don't even tune it. It's just in tune still.

While that may be an extreme, it's true, let them settle, play it, when you pull it out re-tune, and eventually, you'll find that the strings have settled in and barely need adjusting.

Enjoy your new uke, it's a looker!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Congrats on such a beautiful Uke! I'm a sucker for the wood grain and prettiness! I won't tell you about strings since I think you know it now! Just wanted to say "Happy New Uke Day!" :D

Very sweet looking ukulele, congratulations on your new Fender.

Thanks all for the compliments on the photos and your advice, truly appreciated!

I bought that same uke for my son once I got him hooked & then he bought himself the cheaper Fender Haouli too. Then I bought myself one & put a pickup in it. Good basic tenor w/some pretty fender appointments (I love the tele headstock).

Everything sounds about normal w/the strings - they do take a couple of weeks to stretch in... The geared tuners will get you tuned up pretty fast though.

Enjoy & Mahalo!

Top Bottom