Martin 5K tenor

kmrukulele

Reaction score
Hi. Are their any markings that would help me distinguish between a reissue Martin 5K tenor and a vintage one from the '20's?

Thanks in advance.

If it has a serial number, it is a new reissue. Martin did not use serial #'s on the vintage ukes.

Would the serial number be imprinted on the inside of the uke, visible through the soundhole?

I am asking these questions because a relative of mine who likes to buy and sell things is looking at a Martin 5K. He typically does not know much about what he is buying and he came to me because he knows I own a couple of cheapie ukuleles. :)

What would a 1920's 5K go for, in decent condition?

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for all your responses.

I did call MGM and Mike there told me most likely what my relative is lookig at is a 5K Soprano. The only way to tell is by it's dimensions.

Last edited:
Aren't Martin Tenors extremely rare? I've saw tons of sopranos for sale, but no tenors. Hmmm.
Martin built Style 1 Tenor ukes, and yes they don't come up for sale all too often, although lately, there seems to be a few more than normal on E-bay. I don't know for sure if Martin ever built a 5K Tenor, but the uke in question at the Goodwill site certainly looks like a Soprano.

Regarding serial numbers on new Martin Ukes, they are inside on the neck block, visible from the sound hole.

Martin built Style 1 Tenor ukes, and yes they don't come up for sale all too often, although lately, there seems to be a few more than normal on E-bay. I don't know for sure if Martin ever built a 5K Tenor, but the uke in question at the Goodwill site certainly looks like a Soprano.

Regarding serial numbers on new Martin Ukes, they are inside on the neck block, visible from the sound hole.

Martin did build a 5k tenor back in the day (in the 20s)...2 or so of them. Never went into full production. Anything else is a later special order or reissue, often from around 1980. Check out this colection: http://ultimateukulelecollection.com/ukecollection5.html

I have held one of the two and played it, with original gut strings on it. It was rarely, if ever played in its 80+ years. It was not put into production, these were protos at the time. The new owner paid $50,000 to own it. It as in the shop of a well-known luthier I know just in the last few months, and he was doing a few minor restoration/preservation measures to the instrument for the new owner/investor. It was beautiful.

5k vintage sopranos are relatively common by comparison, but they are by no means common. They range wildly in price, but a reissue is around 3,500 bucks. A good condition vintage 5k has sold for $10,000 (maybe more in some cases!).

Last edited:
Top Bottom