The Ukulele Festival Hawaii. Rehersal 06/28/11 Pictures

flashesofsand

Reaction score
With all this talk of Ukulele festivals. The 41st annual Ukulele Festival in Waikiki is coming up in a few weeks. Ohta-San, Jake and Ho'okena to name a few will be there as well as Roy Sakuma's 700 piece ukulele band.

http://www.ukulelefestivalhawaii.org/en/oahu/poster.htm

A good portion of the 700 piece band was practicing last night at the bandstand. I've never seen so many 7-year olds with $500+ Kamakas. It was crazy and sounded great.

A few pictures of the rehearsal and the sunset that followed:

2011-06-28%25252018.14.03.jpg

2011-06-28%25252018.45.43.jpg

2011-06-28%25252019.11.59.jpg

In Hawaii they know not to start with a "junk" ukulele. Get a nice one with good sound and you stay excited about it.

Thanks for the pics! I can hardly wait to hear +700 little ukuleles players. Hope to see some of you there!

Man I knew i screwed up got my 5 yr old grandson a piece a junk kala and I shoulda bought him a kamaka.

Roy Sakuma's iPhone app for the 41st Ukulele Festival shows a group of happy youngsters playing Kala and Makala ukuleles so I think your grandson will do fine with a Kala.

Aw this is great, thanks for posting the pics! Totally made me smile. Sure hope I can make it there next year.

When I went to the Ukulele Picnic in February, the park was full of little kids holding K-brands, running wild and playing as little kids do. It took a few minutes for me to gather my wits and not yell out "Hey kids, no running with $700 ukuleles in your hands!"

Kamaka has been VERY generous to the Hawaii school system. They should be congratulated.

I totally agree. Back in elementary school... oh a good 25 years ago, I believe they donated 30+ sopranos to the school. All brand new with cases and all, they are very generous to the Hawaii school system.

So many kids playing ukulele together must be a wonderful sight. I found this video on YouTube from last year's festival.

My Tuesday evening ukulele instructor, Ka'ala Carmack, will be playing at this year's Ukulele Festival with his Wednesday evening (intermediate/advanced) class, the J-Town Hui, sometime in the morning.

Loved the pictures and love the video mds posted...would love to get there one day, one day!

Top Bottom