How can I pick a ukulele?

lanybug76

Reaction score
I'm new as new can be to this and I don't know whats a good uke. I don't really want to spend a lot on it. Amazon has shown me a lot that are under $80. It'd be great if someone gave me some direction. I was looking at Mahalo and Kala. Any thoughts?

The vast majority of folks here recommend Kala, Lanikai, Mainland, or Ohana ukes in that price range. Visit their sites and see what appeals to you! Thanks for dropping by!

I'm new as new can be to this and I don't know whats a good uke. I don't really want to spend a lot on it. Amazon has shown me a lot that are under $80. It'd be great if someone gave me some direction. I was looking at Mahalo and Kala. Any thoughts?

what size asre you looking for? Are you wanting to stay under $80? Are you opposed to buying used?

I'd avoid mahalo - I bought both brands, Makala was far better than Mahalo, I got the dolphin. They're fine if you want a beat about uke or really really only have a little money to spend, but I soon realised that I wanted a better uke for a better sound. ( still love my dolphin though ).

Used is fine. I want a soprano I think. I'd like to stay below eighty, I don't have all that much cash.

Used is fine. I want a soprano I think. I'd like to stay below eighty, I don't have all that much cash.

OK. Are you wanting to spend the whole $80? Are you ok with a cutsey ukulele?

Contact Mike at either mainland ukes or ukerepublic (both are mikes) and inquire about the geckos or chilis.
you can also get a dolphin or a kala soprano laminate or makala. I would stay away from the mahalos. I'm not a fan of lanikais either but some folks swear by them.

Where are you located at?
I recommend www.ukerepublic.com
and www.mimsukes.com

good luck and don;'t be afraid to ask questions.

You know I'd like to avoid spending all eighty. But if thats what it takes. And what do you mean cutesy?

You know I'd like to avoid spending all eighty. But if thats what it takes. And what do you mean cutesy?

to me the dolphins and geckos are cutsey (not the most manly looking but I own 4 dolphins and one gecko).
I am sure you have seen dolphins that are made by makala (or kala)
and here are the geckos: http://shop.mainlandukuleles.com/category.sc?categoryId=11

If you like the geckos, call Mike at mainland and see if he has any 2nds. You will save a few extra dollars that way.

I've got one thats also a metronome. My sis played guitar for awhile and I play piano so we've had one for awhile.

Kala KA-S and Lanikai LU-21 are both good ukuleles and are well within your price range. You can also check your local craigslist before you buy online. There might be a great deal waiting for you there.

You know, cutesy isn't really my thing. LOL. I was thinking more a wooden one perhaps? Kala seems to be pretty popular so I'm thinking one off of this couple of pages. Any idea which one is a good buy? http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Kala+Ukulele

ok. I am not into the cutsey thing either. that is why I asked. I know many people tnat love their dolphins but mine only gets played in my classroom.

I recommend staying away from amazon. The ukes you buy there will probably not be set up. If you go with one of those online dealers (ukerepublic or mimsukes) you will get the same uke but set up by a uke player. Price should be about the same as well. I owned a ks-15 once. I enjoyed it but gave it to a student of mine.

A friend of mine just got a Luna Tattoo Pineapple. She got it from Amazon. I played it the other evening and it sounds sweet, no buzzing anywhere, and it looks awesome. In your price range.

A friend of mine just got a Luna Tattoo Pineapple. She got it from Amazon. I played it the other evening and it sounds sweet, no buzzing anywhere, and it looks awesome. In your price range.

+1 on the Luna Tattoo Pineapple. I got one for my niece at Christmas and it has a nice sound and look to it. I got it from Amazon but you will get a good setup for sure from UkeRepublic or Mim.

Aloha Lanybug76.
Not sure where you live...and if there is any music shops around that carry ukuleles...it would be your best bet...try alot and play them side to side for comparrisons and pick the best one in sound
and the best playability and comfort...if you cannot tell ask the salesman to play it for you and listen which one you like best....check the sizes for which you like best..soprano, concert, tenor, baritone
If you have no music stores around you, choose a reputable dealer as ones mentioned before...because they will do setups too..and will sound and play better...if you bought from amazon or the other
big retailers you would not have this set up service and may be an additional cost later..if it doesn't sound or play good...get an upgrade in strings and the factory ones usually are cheap ones and a
good digital chromatic clip on tuner...you will not reget this and it will make tuning faster and more accurate with less fustration....Good Luck...MM Stan

If you think you might want a bit larger uke an oscar schmidt ou2 is pretty good for the money and you'd have enough left over for a tuner. It's a concert size uke next size up from soprano. We got one for my 16 year old step daughter and I was pretty impressed with it for the money.
Might want to find one in a music store for a set up but we bought one right off the shelf and it was fine.
http://www.amazon.com/Oscar-Schmidt...HE9U/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1309431054&sr=8-2

Last edited:
OK. Are you wanting to spend the whole $80? Are you ok with a cutsey ukulele?

Contact Mike at either mainland ukes or ukerepublic (both are mikes) and inquire about the geckos or chilis.
you can also get a dolphin or a kala soprano laminate or makala. I would stay away from the mahalos. I'm not a fan of lanikais either but some folks swear by them.

Where are you located at?
I recommend www.ukerepublic.com
and www.mimsukes.com

good luck and don;'t be afraid to ask questions.

You can get a "properly set up" uke at these two places, I also like Hawaiian Music Supply. Doesn't sound like you will be ready to do set ups any time soon. The cheaper the uke, the more you will benefit from a professional set up resulting in a very playable and decent sounding entry level uke.

Top Bottom