New Kala travel uke feels topheavy - swap out tuners?

rek001

Reaction score
Hi all, I just received a Kala concert travel uke from an associate of MGM.
Let me tell you, this uke truly rocks, I'm a grinning fool when I play it, lovin' it.

This uke is wonderfully lightweight except the headstock feels heavy, it unbalances the whole feel of the uke. I suspect it's the heavy tuners.

Can anyone kindly give me advice regarding successfully swapping out the tuners for ones that are lighter?

Thanks very much.

Get the deluxe friction tuners from Mainland. They fit perfectly. You will have screw holes left, but I just filled them when I had this uke. Some people just put the screws back in, some folks leave em raw. It makes a huge difference and the mainland tuners are very smooth.

++ On this. Perfect fit, easy swap.

Get the deluxe friction tuners from Mainland. They fit perfectly. You will have screw holes left, but I just filled them when I had this uke. Some people just put the screws back in, some folks leave em raw. It makes a huge difference and the mainland tuners are very smooth.

Second that - that's exactly the route I took too with the same model & it worked great - lighted the headstock as I expected. One thing to note, the thin Kala travel case makes it a bit tighter in the headstock area when zipped up, but causes no real problem. If you want to fill the holes, you can find filler "pencils" at your local hardware store.

Ordered the Mainland pegs 2 days ago, looking forward to doing this mod.
Thanks again for all your kind replies.

Glad the Kala's sounding great for you!

How about a couple pics post mod? Especially a side view...

Top Bottom