PDA

View Full Version : OK, I'm done with Nylguts

guitarsnrotts
06-30-2011, 03:23 AM
I was just about to sell my Lanikai LSM Concert Uke because I just didn't like the sound compared to my Kamaka, Martin or Mainland when I decided that before such a drastic move I'd change out the Nylguts. Put on a set of Worth Clear Mediums and WOW. Even after a day and not yet fully settled in, the uke is now displaying the warm sweet tone of solid mahogany just like it should.

RichM
06-30-2011, 03:36 AM
I'm not. :)

PoisonDart
06-30-2011, 04:46 AM
Yeah, I think that a most decent ukes don't really need those nylguts.

janeray1940
06-30-2011, 04:49 AM
I still like the Aquilas, but not nearly as much as I like Martin M600s. Still making up my mind about the Worth CMs - just put some on my low G.

SailingUke
06-30-2011, 04:49 AM
Changing strings can completely change how a ukulele sounds and plays.
Sometimes are ears change, don't give up on Nylguts or any string there may be a time and/or ukulele you will want them on.

PedalFreak
06-30-2011, 04:54 AM
I haven't played a high end uke yet with Aquilas that I liked. Not sure what it is, but don't care for those strings. However, lower end ukes they make them sound really nice and lively.

I also just put a Beansprout Banjo uke on order, and Aaron puts Aquillas on those, so I'm going to give them a real shot on that :)

marymac
06-30-2011, 05:28 AM
Yep - I think it depends on the uke. I generally use Fremont Blacklines or Worth Clear mediums but I have Aquilas and some others around to try if I'm not liking the sound on something. Don't write the nylguts off completely, just save them for a uke that needs them.

mr moonlight
06-30-2011, 05:53 AM
I've never really liked the Nygluts, but they are definitely the loudest I've tried. I've tried the Worth's but had some intonation issues with them. I'll have to get another set and try them out again. The Clears sounded pretty nice. Right now I have a set of the D'Addario's on my uke. A good balance between the volume of the Nygluts and the tone of the Worth's, but definitely the heaviest guage of strings. I'm thinking of trying a concert set on my Tenor and see how that goes, but either way I'm pretty pleased with the current set I'm using. I have them on a solid Cedar top Kala.

RichM
06-30-2011, 06:01 AM

Hmm, once I get a decent uke, I'll have to test that theory out.

Jnobianchi
06-30-2011, 06:09 AM
Completely depends on the uke and how its set up. My Martin sounds better with LaBella strings than it does with Aquilas. I've got Worth CMs on it now and will have for a long time. My Ohana sounds GREAT with Nylguts, and I'll probably keep using those on it.

I'll also make a case for Galli blacks from Spain. Great strings, plain black nylon, wonderful on my Gibson banjo uke.

SailingUke
06-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Completely depends on the uke and how its set up. My Martin sounds better with LaBella strings than it does with Aquilas. I've got Worth CMs on it now and will have for a long time. My Ohana sounds GREAT with Nylguts, and I'll probably keep using those on it.

I'll also make a case for Galli blacks from Spain. Great strings, plain black nylon, wonderful on my Gibson banjo uke.

When it comes to a banjouke I don't think strings make much of a difference. I have actually found I like plain nylons on my UB-2. The nature of a banjouke is they are already loud and don't need any assistance from strings.

guitarsnrotts
06-30-2011, 07:04 AM
My current string configurations:

Lanikai LU-21 Soprano - Nylguts (because I don't play this one)
Makai Pineapple Soprano - KO'OLAU Gold Low G (jury still out)
Mainland Red Cedar/Rosewood Pineapple Soprano - Worth Brown Meduims (winner)
Martin S-O - Worth Brown Mediums (winner)
Mid-70s Kamaka Soprano - Martin Fluorocarbons (winner)
Lanikai LSM-C Mahogany Concert - Worth Clear Mediums (winner)
Lanikai SM-T Spalted Mango Tenor - Martin Fluorocarbons (jury still out)

Have tried Nylguts on each of them.

wearymicrobe
06-30-2011, 07:12 AM

I would highly highly disagree with that statement.

OldePhart
06-30-2011, 07:14 AM
I think that the "problem" with NylGut strings on most better-quality ukes is that the characteristic loud kind of brash tone of the NylGuts tends to bury the nicer subtleties often present on a good uke. It's not that they sound bad, so much as they don't sound as good as we expect a uke like that to sound. They're great on cheaper stuff because the loud kind of brash tone is better than the muted kind of dead lack of tone on those ukes.

Just my $0.02.

John

Ingrate
06-30-2011, 07:17 AM
Aquila Nylguts are excellent on Eleukes. They help 'ukuleles that need more brightness as well, in my experience. I don't like them on my KoAloha - it's a bright, loud instrument that likes Worths (CM or BM).

It seems that naturally bright-sounding 'ukes get too harsh w/nylguts. I liked them on the mahogany Ohana I used to have, which had a naturally mellow sound.

bryanperk
06-30-2011, 07:24 AM
I think that the "problem" with NylGut strings on most better-quality ukes is that the characteristic loud kind of brash tone of the NylGuts tends to bury the nicer subtleties often present on a good uke. It's not that they sound bad, so much as they don't sound as good as we expect a uke like that to sound. They're great on cheaper stuff because the loud kind of brash tone is better than the muted kind of dead lack of tone on those ukes.

Just my $0.02.

John
:agree:
I agree entirely with what OldePhart was saying about our expectations of different instruments and the type of strings that we prefer to be played on these different quality instruments. I built my own solid koa tenor, and i have a set of worth clear mediums on that and love the sound, but on my little Makala soprano, I have a set of Aquila nygluts because it gives it a louder and lighter tone.

mm stan
06-30-2011, 07:53 AM
When choosing strings, I buy them for their preformance and not their brand name as they react different on different ukuleles.. It changes the strings dynamics which changes the preformance and
gives it an option of how you would like to improve or change the sound of your ukulele current sound or voice....example..if you would like brighter of warmer sound, or cleaner sound or better playability.... and so forth....and then there's a balance or sacafrice of options, of which is more important to you.... it is a way to fine tune your ukulele to how you Individually would like it...

rem50
06-30-2011, 08:00 AM
good observation Stan.

crowsby
06-30-2011, 09:07 AM
I think it really depends on each individual ukulele, and of course what you think actually sounds 'good'. I just got an Ohana SK-38 that shipped with Aquilas, and it sounded good but a little brash. Threw on a set of Worth CMs and wow, it's got an amazing rich and deep tone while still sounding ukuleleish. But the very same strings on my Mainland mahogany makes it sound a little thin.

UKISOCIETY
06-30-2011, 09:29 AM
Being a lazy one, I'm going to ask this here instead of searching for it: Is there a comprehensive list of ukulele string brands anywhere?

Kanaka916
06-30-2011, 09:38 AM
Being a lazy one, I'm going to ask this here instead of searching for it: Is there a comprehensive list of ukulele string brands anywhere?
I put this together . . . FYI - Uke Strings (http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?39969-FYI-Uke-Strings)

bbycrts
06-30-2011, 10:23 AM
Ukuleles are fickle things...I'd pretty much sworn off Nylguts. Went to Worth clears - they make my nicer uke sing so sweetly!

I bought a cheap all-solid-mahogany Koloa to have at work and automatically put Martin M600s on it (couldn't find any Worths at the time and figured the Martins should be similar). The uke sounded quiet and dull. I finally broke down and got a set of the new Nylguts...and the real voice of that cheap little uke came out!

Go figure. I'd said I was off Aquilas for good up until then...

PhilUSAFRet
06-30-2011, 10:43 AM
A lot of folks have found that nyguts don't sound best on a quality solid uke, especially solid Mahogany.

marymac
06-30-2011, 10:45 AM
A lot of folks have found that nyguts don't sound best on a quality solid uke, especially solid Mahogany.

I don't know about that. I have a new Mainland Mahogany Baritone that sounds great with Aquilas! I wouldn't use them on my mahogany Stradelele though. It's super loud even with Worth clears.

RichM
06-30-2011, 12:43 PM

My Kanile'a tenor, KoAloha Super Concert, and de Mesquita Ukaferri all have Aquilas on them, and all sound wonderful. So too does my solid mahogany Mainland, although I suppose that's a more modest uke. I don't doubt that many aren't happy with Aquilas, but it's tough to understand where these blanket statements about them not sounding good on "quality ukes" come from. Oh well-- each to his own taste. I would just hate new players to come on here and assume that there's a general consensus on Aquilas-- there definitely is not.

poptart
06-30-2011, 12:56 PM
Does anyone know where to get worth clear strings online or at a store on Oahu.

guitarsnrotts
06-30-2011, 01:07 PM
Worth Clears online at www.elderly.com

The mistake I made was to believe the press that Nylguts were the be all, save all of uke strings so I bought a bunch to
save on shipping. Now I have an excess of unwanted strings in various sizes.

SailingUke
06-30-2011, 03:51 PM
Worth Clears online at www.elderly.com

The mistake I made was to believe the press that Nylguts were the be all, save all of uke strings so I bought a bunch to
save on shipping. Now I have an excess of unwanted strings in various sizes.

go out and buy a bunch of ukuleles and see if any of them sound good with Aquilas.

uke4ia
06-30-2011, 04:27 PM
I've been using Aquila Bionylons with low G on my Kiwaya K-Wave the last few weeks. Not bad, except that when the G string is open it's a little booming.

Do they still make Senorita strings? Twenty years ago, when I used to play sopranos, I liked to use a Senorita for the A string because it would make the notes ring a little longer than the other brands so the high note in a chord didn't get lost.

ukegirl
06-30-2011, 04:46 PM
M600's everytime....less brittle sounding...esp on my Ohana SK35G...

kalmario
06-30-2011, 07:29 PM
for my 2 cents Aquila's sound like Aquila's. I expect spending heaps on a higher quality uke, and having it sound like
a lower end model because of the strings would defeating the purpose.

iDavid
07-01-2011, 01:50 AM
I passed on Aquila's for the last year, but seeing that they come on Kanile'a, Compass Rose, and Moore Bettah, I gave them a second shot. I didn't really expect to like them, but at the moment I LOVE them. I have them on my Kanile'a and Compass Rose.

Jnobianchi
07-01-2011, 05:05 AM
When it comes to a banjouke I don't think strings make much of a difference. I have actually found I like plain nylons on my UB-2. The nature of a banjouke is they are already loud and don't need any assistance from strings.

Yep - nylon, even brand x nylon, sound good. I like La Senoritas, too. At $4, I always keep a few packs on hand.

Huna
07-07-2011, 02:27 AM
ok so is this like the new coke or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Aquila-All-Nylgut-Concert-Ukulele-String-Set-/330550405900?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf656eb0c

OldePhart
07-07-2011, 07:00 AM
ok so is this like the new coke or what?

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Aquila-All-Nylgut-Concert-Ukulele-String-Set-/330550405900?pt=Guitar_Accessories&hash=item4cf656eb0c

Heh, heh. Maybe they've discovered that biolons or whatever they were calling them didn't go over so well so now we have "Nylgut Classic." :)

lambchop
07-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Love the worth clears. Savarez Alliance's are great, as well (see my blog entry on them at: http://lambchopukulele.blogspot.com/2010/08/building-savarez-set.html

I like the feel of the Nylguts and I loved the way they sounded on my Boulder Creek, but I'm pretty much sticking with Worth's or Savarez for now.